Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 586 times

Advertisements

Greetings, everyone. I am a single man planning a move from out of state to the Capital District in August of this year. I will be working in downtown Schenectady. Ideally, I am looking for a town to live in that meets the following criteria:

*Within a 30 minute drive of downtown Schenectady, avoiding any known bottlenecks or relatively high-traffic areas.
*Apartment, townhome or house to rent (my budget is approximately $1,500 per month).
*Calm, charming, rural but accessible (“boring” is fine!).
*Safe/low crime.
*Schools are not a concern as I do not have children.

I have spent some time researching in these forums and speaking with people during a recent visit to Schenectady, and have come up a list of the following towns:

*Glenville
*Ballston Spa
*Guilderland
*Stillwater
*Scotia
*Colonie
*Latham
*Waterford
*Watervliet
*Rotterdam

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 05:28 AM

260 posts, read 490,472 times
- Ballston Spa: Safe and fun little downtown area. Close to Saratoga and Saratoga Lake as well, which have nice spots. The commute you'd have would avoid busy/major highways. Recommend.

- Glenville: More rural than most of the others on the list. Not too much going on in the area, but that definitely means it's calm and quiet! There a couple nice hiking spots in the area, but honestly its mostly a bedroom community. Low crime of course.

-Guilderland/Colonie/Latham: Think traditional suburbs, but there are definitely more rural parts than others. Some solid restaurants and parks in each and all pretty safe. The commute wouldn't be bad from any of these and you can avoid the highways. Guilderland and Colonie are close to neat towns like Altamont and Voorheesville, while Latham is a nice central location near the urban centers (Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Saratoga)

Stillwater: Very quiet, safe, rural town on the Hudson. Doesn't meet your criteria for a 30 min commute though.

Scotia/Watervliet/Rotterdam/Waterford: Middle class areas (more so than a lot of others on the list). Less rural and more urban. Not as safe or as quiet as some of there others on the list either. Waterford has some nice amenities (parks, canal site, restaurants, farmers markets) and punches above its "weight class" so to speak.

Old 05-19-2024, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
- Ballston Spa: Safe and fun little downtown area. Close to Saratoga and Saratoga Lake as well, which have nice spots. The commute you'd have would avoid busy/major highways. Recommend.

- Glenville: More rural than most of the others on the list. Not too much going on in the area, but that definitely means it's calm and quiet! There a couple nice hiking spots in the area, but honestly its mostly a bedroom community. Low crime of course.

-Guilderland/Colonie/Latham: Think traditional suburbs, but there are definitely more rural parts than others. Some solid restaurants and parks in each and all pretty safe. The commute wouldn't be bad from any of these and you can avoid the highways. Guilderland and Colonie are close to neat towns like Altamont and Voorheesville, while Latham is a nice central location near the urban centers (Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Saratoga)

Stillwater: Very quiet, safe, rural town on the Hudson. Doesn't meet your criteria for a 30 min commute though.

Scotia/Watervliet/Rotterdam/Waterford: Middle class areas (more so than a lot of others on the list). Less rural and more urban. Not as safe or as quiet as some of there others on the list either. Waterford has some nice amenities (parks, canal site, restaurants, farmers markets) and punches above its "weight class" so to speak.
Excellent information! Thank you very much.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:46 PM

6,954 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post

Watervliet is definitely quiet. At least I can have my windows open in the summertime without having to listen to ghetto-blaster noise, unlike when I lived in Skank-ectady back in 2015-2016. Everyone on my block of 7th Ave off of 19th Street respect everyone else's air- and ear-space.

I would also recommend Valley View Apartments off of Johnson Road in Latham, since I personally know the leasing consultant. Place is under new ownership and they are refurbishing all the apartments.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Watervliet is definitely quiet. At least I can have my windows open in the summertime without having to listen to ghetto-blaster noise, unlike when I lived in Skank-ectady back in 2015-2016. Everyone on my block of 7th Ave off of 19th Street respect everyone else's air- and ear-space.

I would also recommend Valley View Apartments off of Johnson Road in Latham, since I personally know the leasing consultant. Place is under new ownership and they are refurbishing all the apartments.
Thank you! I appreciate the info - who should I ask for at Valley View, & who should I say sent me? Feel free to DM me about that. Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 586 times
What do you all think about the city of Rotterdam? I am looking at some apartments there. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2024, 09:49 AM

94,177 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Jimmy.Kudo View Post
What do you all think about the city of Rotterdam? I am looking at some apartments there. Thanks!
It is a suburban town just west of Schenectady. Hopefully others will continue to chime in, but that is something to keep in mind.

Old 05-22-2024, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 586 times
Thank you!

Old 05-23-2024, 07:28 AM

94,177 posts, read 125,031,794 times
I'm kind of surprised that Scotia isn't suggested due to its proximity to Downtown Schenectady, while having its own Main Street/Downtown; it is a bigger and walkable village and the crime rate is low.

https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/Redesi...o19_welREV_iwd

https://villageofscotia.org/

Old 05-23-2024, 08:12 AM

260 posts, read 490,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Jimmy.Kudo View Post

Northwest Rotterdam (the areas around route 159) I would recommend. Rotterdam can get dicey nearer to downtown, but it has some good amenities (outdoor area close by, Italian deli, aquarium)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area