Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 PM

511 posts, read 631,718 times

Advertisements

I was just reading another thread - the guy wanting to move from NY to NM - and some of the answers got me wondering.

Are there many opportunities to teach at the community college or adult school level if one has an MA Ed with an emphasis in TESOL and has taught ESL at the cc or adult level (not K-12)?

Are there more ESL adult school classes as opposed to the more academic ESL that can be found at the community college level?

Is there much of a demand for ESL teachers at the adult level?

If there is a demand, are the positions in traditional locations, such as adult schools and community colleges OR are they also in work places and businesses and...?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 AM

102,368 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Answering for Santa Fe, ESL is taught through the local CC.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks, Ruth4Truth. I wonder if there is even much of a need for ESL classes since many (if not most?) Hispanic and Latino people in ABQ and SF are from NM.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,462,204 times
Oh, there's a huge need for ESL here. As befits a state on the border, New Mexico has a large Mexican-immigrant population, to say nothing of immigrants from Africa, Asia and elsewhere. Albuquerque has long been a resettlement location for refugees and asylum-speakers, and has recent and growing populations of immigrants from Iraq, Afghanistan, and sub-Saharan Africa as a result.

Edit - the two religious-based organizations linked to below are among the most prominent groups devoted to working with refugees and new immigrants, but there are several others:

https://www.lfsrm.org/programs-and-s...s/albuquerque/
http://www.ccasfnm.org/center-for-refugee-support.html

Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM

102,368 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Thanks, Ruth4Truth. I wonder if there is even much of a need for ESL classes since many (if not most?) Hispanic and Latino people in ABQ and SF are from NM.
Our local ESL classes are packed with Mexicans and Central Americans, mainly.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Oh, there's a huge need for ESL here. As befits a state on the border, New Mexico has a large Mexican-immigrant population, to say nothing of immigrants from Africa, Asia and elsewhere. Albuquerque has long been a resettlement location for refugees and asylum-speakers, and has recent and growing populations of immigrants from Iraq, Afghanistan, and sub-Saharan Africa as a result.

Edit - the two religious-based organizations linked to below are among the most prominent groups devoted to working with refugees and new immigrants, but there are several others:

https://www.lfsrm.org/programs-and-s...s/albuquerque/
The Center for Refugee Support

Although I know NM borders Mexico, I wasn't sure if NM had a lot of immigration from Mexico and Central and South America. Since NM is not supposed to be one of the wealthiest states (suggesting less government aid for such programs) I wondered if TX, AZ, and CA got more of the immigrants coming from the south.

Great links, thanks! I had to start somewhere, and it's so much easier to get a hand initially when completely ignorant of the dominant immigrant and refugee populations settling in an area. Of course, it stands to reason there would be many from Mexico considering Spanish is spoken by so many in NM.

Good to know, Ruth, that the ESL classes are filled to the brim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque