Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 10:31 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I had the allergy sensitivity blood test which showed no allergies, great news but no surprise. Now, the doctor wants to put me in the hospital for a day to run a methacholine challenge test - "just to be sure". From what I have found online, I'm not so sure I want or need it. I have Traditional Medicare so they have to find tests to run before they can bill.

Does anyone have experience with this test for diagnosing asthma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 08:24 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I was diagnosed with asthma at 50 because it felt like someone had put a fist in my chest and was squeezing. My doctor thought I was having a heart attack and sent me to the emergency room. They also thought I was having a heart attack. When the cardiologist came in he said that is asthma. However, I have horrible allergies which was the cause of mine. There’s two types of asthma and one is allergy related. What’s the reason that he thinks you have asthma?

Old 01-26-2024, 07:05 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
gut microbiome as the cause, and more importantly, the cure for asthma/allergies. a couple of links to get you started -

your doctor doesnt know this. it's an emerging science and it offers no revenue for their masters at big pharma

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31793015/

The role of gut microbiota in atopic asthma and allergy, implications in the understanding of disease pathogenesis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32072252/

Dysbiosis of the gut and lung microbiome has a role in asthma

----------------------------------------------------

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36771193/

Microbiome and Asthma: Microbial Dysbiosis and the Origins, Phenotypes, Persistence, and Severity of Asthma

Old 01-26-2024, 09:19 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi All,
Now, the doctor wants to put me in the hospital for a day to run a methacholine challenge test - "just to be sure".
You doc is either over 80 y/o or terribly naive.

"Bronchospasm" is the situation where the bronchioles (muscular airway tubes capable of changing diameter as needed) clamp down in spasm and prevent air from moving in and out of the lungs as freely as it should.

Bronchospasm can be caused by inhaling foreign material like dust or bugs, irritated by extreme temperature of the air, heart failure or as a part of COPD. We call it asthma when that normally protective reflex is extreme, taking only a small stimulus to set off too severe a reaction.

It's not usually due to "allergy" per se. Teenagers will often show exercise asthma-- periods of severe bronchospasm induced by the rapid breathing of heavy exercise. When bronchospasm shows up for the first time in adults, particularly middle age and older, one should be suspicious that more severe lung problems or heart problems are behind it.

Asthma is a clinical diagnosis, ie- based on history and physical exam, and other lung or heart problems have been excluded.... In the old days, a methacholine provocation test was performed in an attempt to look scientific in the days when there was very little science to medical practice. It's a potentially dangerous test. That's why he wants you in the hospital to do it. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in the last 60 years.

To make the diagnosis, you must be examined while having an episode of bronchospasm. Treatment is really easy for most cases- albuterol inhaler used as needed..If you are having frequent need for use of the inhaler, long acting inhalers with or without steroids can be used.....Death from an asthma attack is not unheard of, but unusual, and that rate actually went up when home treatment with inhalers came to the market ~50 y/o-- because pts got so comfortable with their condition that they would delay going to the ER with a severe episode until it was too late.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:10 PM

Guido, you nailed it! You must be in the medical profession.

I have aortic stenosis which is what I believe to cause periodic shortness of breath not requiring an inhaler.
My gut level feeling is that the young, foreign doctor is looking for any way to bill our Traditional Medicare regardless of how dangerous the test is for me. My cardiologist refused to even discuss the test with me, probably to protect the pulmonologist.
And so, I ask on social media, which they don't like.

Thank you for your response.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
gut microbiome as the cause, and more importantly, the cure for asthma/allergies. a couple of links to get you started -

your doctor doesnt know this. it's an emerging science and it offers no revenue for their masters at big pharma

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31793015/

The role of gut microbiota in atopic asthma and allergy, implications in the understanding of disease pathogenesis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32072252/

Dysbiosis of the gut and lung microbiome has a role in asthma

----------------------------------------------------

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36771193/

Microbiome and Asthma: Microbial Dysbiosis and the Origins, Phenotypes, Persistence, and Severity of Asthma
Thank you, I will look into the links you provided.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:24 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thank you, I will look into the links you provided.

i'm sure there are more. i just grabbed a quick sample. pubmed is a gold mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies