Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 04:10 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

If you have pain do you find where you need to rest your leg, or head or other to stop the pain as best as you can? Do you create the pain and withstand it until you tolerate it or until the source peters out?
Or create the pain and use massage or other to give you pain points to avoid.
Only thing we have for pain is 600mg ibuprofen. Trying to get buy for a few weeks.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 01:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If you have pain do you find where you need to rest your leg, or head or other to stop the pain as best as you can? Do you create the pain and withstand it until you tolerate it or until the source peters out?
Only thing we have for pain is 600mg ibuprofen. Trying to get buy for a few weeks.
Thanks.

How can anyone give a meaningful answer without knowing something about what is causing the pain? Doing nothing about pain resulting from some injuries may be the worst thing you could do. Consider a broken leg or a dislocated joint. Some types of pain are important warning signs that shouldn't be ignored for "a few weeks".

OTOH, something simple like using an ice pack on a fresh soft tissue injury like a sprain or muscle strain in order to reduce inflammation and swelling (which can cause pain as well as retard healing) might be all that's necessary. No chiro required.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-03-2023 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-04-2023, 08:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Thanks.
If the pain is sudden, out of nowhere, and I didn't fall or trip or get injured from anything I can think of, I would probably wait it out a few days with ibuprofen. I'd assume I slept wrong (tucked my arm under my torso while sleeping on my stomach - wake up with a shoulder ache, or similar). Or my sciatica went out again (which it does sometimes).

If it's pain from an injury, I'd do the typical bone check: if I can move the joint, it's probably not broken. If I try to move and it's searing white-hot pain, it's probably broken and I need to call the Dr. and possibly go to urgent care if necessary. If it feels more like a muscle cramp, I put some Bigeloil horse liniment on it and walk it off.

I would never EVER "create" pain to test it. That's just the height of stupidity.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

How can anyone give a meaningful answer without knowing something about what is causing the pain? Doing nothing about pain resulting from some injuries may be the worst thing you could do. Consider a broken leg or a dislocated joint. Some types of pain are important warning signs that shouldn't be ignored for "a few weeks".

OTOH, something simple like using an ice pack on a fresh soft tissue injury like a sprain or muscle strain in order to reduce inflammation and swelling (which can cause pain as well as retard healing) might be all that's necessary. No chiro required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If the pain is sudden, out of nowhere, and I didn't fall or trip or get injured from anything I can think of, I would probably wait it out a few days with ibuprofen. I'd assume I slept wrong (tucked my arm under my torso while sleeping on my stomach - wake up with a shoulder ache, or similar). Or my sciatica went out again (which it does sometimes).

If it's pain from an injury, I'd do the typical bone check: if I can move the joint, it's probably not broken. If I try to move and it's searing white-hot pain, it's probably broken and I need to call the Dr. and possibly go to urgent care if necessary. If it feels more like a muscle cramp, I put some Bigeloil horse liniment on it and walk it off.

I would never EVER "create" pain to test it. That's just the height of stupidity.
I remember painful rehab exercises after a 2015 car wreck.
On September 24 and 25 I dug up some monkey grass plants and cleaned a gutter. No issues detected. On September 27 I noticed sharp pain when trying to lay down and stand straight with head titled backwards. I can not currently lie flat on a bed as the pain is extreme. I can lean back on the head board to relieve pain. Doing this I'm basically bending my back bone the wrong way - slouch vs. straight up. In a chair I can lean over until my shoulders touch the knees to relieve pain. Or slouch way down in a chair. If I tilt my head to the right I can tilt my head backward with little pain. If I try to tilt my head backward in the left or in the upright position it's extreme pain. I've massaged the neck and upper back left side to try to loosen any tightness or move some nerve. Ibuprofen is the only pain medication and I can't detect any help with the pain.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
I remember painful rehab exercises after a 2015 car wreck.
On September 24 and 25 I dug up some monkey grass plants and cleaned a gutter. No issues detected. On September 27 I noticed sharp pain when trying to lay down and stand straight with head titled backwards. I can not currently lie flat on a bed as the pain is extreme. I can lean back on the head board to relieve pain. Doing this I'm basically bending my back bone the wrong way - slouch vs. straight up. In a chair I can lean over until my shoulders touch the knees to relieve pain. Or slouch way down in a chair. If I tilt my head to the right I can tilt my head backward with little pain. If I try to tilt my head backward in the left or in the upright position it's extreme pain. I've massaged the neck and upper back left side to try to loosen any tightness or move some nerve. Ibuprofen is the only pain medication and I can't detect any help with the pain.
It's been over a week and you're still feeling the pain. It's time to suck it up and go to the doctor and get a diagnosis and suggestion for treatment.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:46 AM

I saw this online: 5 phases of treatment.
#1 Pain Relief or Acute Care
During this phase this goal is to determine the pain generator (nerve, muscle, bone, or joint) and reduce inflammation as effectively as possible. Sometimes this requires X-rays, Electric Muscle Stimulation, Ice, and a Chiropractic Adjustment. Relief can happen in a matter of days or weeks depending on the diagnosis and how long the pain has been present.

That sounded like chiropractic to me and symptoms.
------------------------
I know a chiropatric doctor. However "your problems may be more severe and out of my realm of treatment" = very disappointed as I strongly believe they would offer a payment plan since I'd be self pay with no insurance.

Old 10-06-2023, 03:22 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
i go to youtube for chiro/rehab stuff. it's a goldmine imo

Old 10-25-2023, 11:26 AM

Xrays came back with minor arthritis lower back and muscle issue back of the neck. All we were given was Ibuprofen 800, Tizanidine 4mg. I noticed little benefit and got two injectibles > Toradol and Solumedrol.
Anyone used those?
Thanks.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Haven't heard of those, but I have had good relief with cortisone shots in my knees.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:02 AM

Sciatic nerve is the culprit and walking is quite painful but slowly improves with continued walking. Standing still is deadly as far as pain. Sit, walk, lay and it's somewhat manageable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine