Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2024, 04:50 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Atlanta for a few days in April just as a tourist, and would love some insight as where we should stay. I've been there on business several times and have stayed in hotels around Centennial Park, but are there other areas convenient to public transportation that might be good to look at? There are loads of hotels in Midtown for example but I don't know anything about it.

We just plan to bop around the city, see the big sights like the High Museum, the Aquarium, walk around various neighborhoods and take public transportation a lot, maybe a bus tour. We don't need to stay right downtown too. Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 05:14 PM

217 posts, read 216,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I'm planning to visit Atlanta for a few days in April just as a tourist, and would love some insight as where we should stay. I've been there on business several times and have stayed in hotels around Centennial Park, but are there other areas convenient to public transportation that might be good to look at? There are loads of hotels in Midtown for example but I don't know anything about it.

We just plan to bop around the city, see the big sights like the High Museum, the Aquarium, walk around various neighborhoods and take public transportation a lot, maybe a bus tour. We don't need to stay right downtown too. Thanks for any thoughts!
In fact, I would highly recommend Midtown as the place for you to stay during your next trip to Atlanta. If you can find a hotel within walking distance of the Midtown MARTA station or the Arts Center MARTA station, that might be ideal. Normally, if you're flying into the Airport, and if your flight comes in at a reasonable hour, you would simply walk into the MARTA station at the Airport, board the train, exit the train a little over 20 minutes later, and walk to the hotel. Unfortunately, MARTA's Airport Station will be closed throughout April for renovations, though a bus bridge will be available (so you can still take MARTA, but it won't be as quick as normal).

Midtown is arguably Atlanta's most walkable neighborhood, and I find it to be much nicer and more enjoyable than Downtown. The High Museum, Piedmont Park, and the Botanical Gardens are in the neighborhood, among other attractions. There are 100+ restaurants just in that area of Midtown alone. For the Aquarium, you can take MARTA from Midtown Station or Arts Center Station to Civic Center Station (5 minute ride), and walk from there to the Aquarium (though it's a 15 minute-long walk, and not a very pleasant walk at that). Uber/Lyft shouldn't be too costly should you opt for that.

I'd also recommend visiting the Beltline Eastside Trail and spending some time at Ponce City Market and/or Krog Street Market. From Midtown, it's a long walk (about 45 minutes to 1 hour) through Piedmont Park and along the Beltline; if you like to cycle or scoot, you can rent a Lime bike (with pedal assist) or a Lime electric scooter in/near Piedmont Park or near the Piedmont Ave/10th St intersection, and from there, it's a nice 10-20 minute ride through Piedmont Park and along the Beltline (though note that Lime bikes/scooters aren't exactly cheap).

Old 03-11-2024, 05:50 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Just a thought: you might be able to find something near Decatur Square, which has Decatur's Marta Station nearby for quick access into Midtown and Downtown Atlanta.

Decatur Square is a vibrant public space located in the heart of Decatur, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. It serves as the focal point of the city, offering a variety of shops, restaurants, cultural attractions, and community events. Some notable features of Decatur Square include:

Historic Courthouse: The centerpiece of Decatur Square is the historic DeKalb County Courthouse, which was built in 1898 and now serves as a museum and event space.

Decatur Square Fountain: A popular spot for locals and visitors alike, the fountain in the center of the square provides a tranquil setting for relaxation and reflection.

Dining and Shopping: Surrounding the square are numerous restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and specialty shops, offering a diverse array of culinary and retail experiences.

Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Decatur Square plays host to a variety of festivals, concerts, farmers markets, and other community events, drawing crowds from across the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Public Art: The square features a number of public art installations, including sculptures, murals, and interactive exhibits, adding to its cultural vibrancy.

Overall, Decatur Square serves as a gathering place for residents and visitors alike, embodying the unique charm and character of the Decatur community.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:29 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Awesome, thank you! Exactly the kind of info I needed. Super helpful!

Old 03-12-2024, 01:11 PM

271 posts, read 301,408 times
Just to add I think Buckhead gets left out sometimes due to the rise (with good reason) of Midtown.

Buckhead has easy access to MARTA via the Buckhead station, and it's not as busy as Midtown. There are a lot of high end shopping/dining options within walking distance to the MARTA station, and even I think some really high end hotels.

I will say though that Midtown would be easier access across the entire metro as it's close to Five Points station and near the downtown/midtown area.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2024, 11:26 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
Just to add I think Buckhead gets left out sometimes due to the rise (with good reason) of Midtown.

Buckhead has easy access to MARTA via the Buckhead station, and it's not as busy as Midtown. There are a lot of high end shopping/dining options within walking distance to the MARTA station, and even I think some really high end hotels.

I will say though that Midtown would be easier access across the entire metro as it's close to Five Points station and near the downtown/midtown area.

Good luck!
Buckhead is better if high-end shopping is your thing, but if you're near Midtown, you can walk to Piedmont Park, the High Museum, catch a show at Fox Theater, close proximity to the East Beltline/Ponce City Market, and the Aquarium/World of Coke.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:50 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I'd go midtown. Then you have access to downtown, buckhead, midtown, perimeter, etc, and midtown itself is walkable.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:02 PM

11 posts, read 7,057 times
How is the Thompson Hotel in Buckhead?

Thoroughly enjoyed the one in Nashville.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:15 PM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM0984 View Post
How is the Thompson Hotel in Buckhead?

Thoroughly enjoyed the one in Nashville.
Proceed with caution.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...GWT3MQN6SI36Q/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta