Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 01:10 PM

150 posts, read 114,661 times

Advertisements

So for those who knew about my other thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...currently.html My car is getting old and have currently mileage of 303K

Is still working good but just in case it decided to go buh-bai. I am on a hunt for a new car. Well a used car.

So I was browsing online and saw an ad for:

2007 Lexus ES 350 FWD

Have 97K on it and selling for 8,395. 3 previous owners, clean title and no accident.

Fuel economy
Fuel tank size:
18 gal

Fuel type:
Gasoline

Performance
Transmission:
Automatic

Drivetrain:
Front-Wheel Drive

Safety
ABS brakes
Backup Camera
Curtain airbags
Driver airbag
Front side airbags
Parking Sensors
Passenger airbag

Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth
Leather Seats
Navigation System
Sunroof/Moonroof

I am like wow this car sounds too good to be true. So I went check it out and drive it. Everything sounds good but I am paranoid and wanted to ensure that everything is good so I've asked the seller if I can have my mechanic take a look at it before moving forward. He agreed.

Less than 5 minutes on my mechanic shop. My mechanic told me that the car mileage is not 97K is 210K and as soon as he told me that I said okay I am not buying the car. He also told me that there is something wrong with the exhaust and there is rust all over underneath car engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 01:14 PM

45,522 posts, read 60,760,162 times
It's a seventeen, 17, SEVENTEEN year old car. Another couple years and you can put Historic tags on it in Maryland.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:22 PM

21,907 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Don't buy other people's problems.

Cars that age are by and large only sold because of other people's problems. Sometimes those are problems you aren't buying. The '05 Honda is doing pretty well for me, although I've had some expected repairs. Catalytic converter on something that age is pretty expected. The problem was the owner had a hip replacement and couldn't get in the car and drive a stick shift. That's not a problem that I'm buying but it's the only reason the car was sold. When you decide to own old cars, expect the normal problems.

I'd either fix your car or buy something much, much newer. 3-7 years is the sweet spot. One owner, either someone that leases or just likes to throw money at new cars every 3-7 years. Usually got another ~10 years of mostly trouble-free ownership before the problems start. When you're looking at 15+ it's the tail end of the useful life of the car. Expect normal problems.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:43 PM

12,574 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Well you got the car inspected by a mechanic - that's the #1 thing. In finding the inspector, I always quiz the inspector to ask:

What will you check?
And for each answer to the above - how will you check it?
Then, will I get a written report itemizing the findings?

Some inspections are much more thorough than others. It costs more, but I tend to be conservative with finding an inspector who will do thorough inspection. It's not like you should be having 20 cars inspected - if it's more than 3, you're probably not doing your own due diligence well. It's very helpful to discuss the report with the inspector after you get it, to get addition context.

Beyond the vehicle inspection, on a used car, I get a CarFax report.

Of course you can always ask for copies of maintenance records, but many people don't keep these. The main thing you want to see is that they actually DO maintenance on a reasonable schedule - they don't just take the car in to get it repaired when it won't operate anymore.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:30 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Someone wanted to get rid of this car so badly they turned back the odometer. Risky move. It's a felony!

Old 05-01-2024, 02:36 PM

5,860 posts, read 2,980,460 times
Go to Lexus website. You can enter a vin number and pull all the records of maintenance and repairs. That’s how I picked my last 3 Lexus cars.
Same can be done with MB. But good luck getting that info from them. You have to know or bribe someone.

97k is nothing on a Toyota product. My dad had a 08 Avalon, same car basically. Had hard 350k of nyc tlc miles on it. Original engine and trans when it was sold.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:37 PM

8,096 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post

Less than 5 minutes on my mechanic shop. My mechanic told me that the car mileage is not 97K is 210K and as soon as he told me that I said okay I am not buying the car. He also told me that there is something wrong with the exhaust and there is rust all over underneath car engines.
I am curious how he determined the true mileage? Is there somewhere else besides the odometer that tracks that (maybe something in the computer?)

Old 05-01-2024, 02:39 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,305,057 times
Pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:07 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Go to Lexus website. You can enter a vin number and pull all the records of maintenance and repairs. That’s how I picked my last 3 Lexus cars.
Same can be done with MB. But good luck getting that info from them. You have to know or bribe someone.
I know not all independent shops report work to Car Fax. Would an independent shop's reporting to Lexus via VIN really be much different? Does Lexus offer some sort of incentive for more independents to report?

If I'm considering buying a used car from a private seller I'd want to see proof of maintenance/accident repair. It might include Car Fax reports it might not.

FWIW, I've always kept maintenance logs for my cars, noting any problems, accidents, all routine service or repair. Also service receipts. Case in point: I lived in a tiny remote bush town for 16 years. My Subaru was barely a year old when I moved there but there was no way to get dealer service without shipping it by marine barge at a cost of $600 each leg. So, it was serviced by a local marine engine mechanic who fleshed out his income working on resident cars. Just because he didn't report the work to anyone doesn't mean it didn't get done. I followed Subaru's maintenance schedule down to every oil change and kept a detailed log. For my own information obviously, but eventually for a buyer's. Sold the car at age 22 for over KBB. The log & receipts went with it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2024 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 03:30 PM

2,004 posts, read 967,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice.

If you had read the whole post, you would have seen they already did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive