Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:52 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

With a red hot Rocket team at their heals, the Warriors are on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely. And the team is healthy with Kuminga now a big part of their rotation. So this is about as good as it will go with this group. The team stood pat at the trade deadline and Kerr's experiment of benching Looney and going ultra small ball failed horribly. Hard to believe it but they were a much better team with Poole on the roster last 2 seasons.

At this point I bet they don't even want to make the play-in. Better to stick a fork in the season and perhaps this current group. But they have Curry and Kerr for 2 more seasons.

What should they do? My opinion. I would trade away everyone but Curry, Kuminga and Podziemski. Put a team together that works better in 2024 than 2017 and let Curry try one last time at a playoff run. Or you do the above and trade for draft picks instead of players and tank for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 05:05 AM

1,085 posts, read 441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
With a red hot Rocket team at their heals, the Warriors are on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely. And the team is healthy with Kuminga now a big part of their rotation. So this is about as good as it will go with this group. The team stood pat at the trade deadline and Kerr's experiment of benching Looney and going ultra small ball failed horribly. Hard to believe it but they were a much better team with Poole on the roster last 2 seasons.

At this point I bet they don't even want to make the play-in. Better to stick a fork in the season and perhaps this current group. But they have Curry and Kerr for 2 more seasons.

What should they do? My opinion. I would trade away everyone but Curry, Kuminga and Podziemski. Put a team together that works better in 2024 than 2017 and let Curry try one last time at a playoff run. Or you do the above and trade for draft picks instead of players and tank for a few years.
Trade for what? Green, wiggins have big negative trade value. They have to unload multiple picks to get them off the books. And its not easy to land a star, there has to be sellers thats willing to do so, and theres too many buyers.

I give houston a 40% chance of being in the play in, they lose the tiebreaker, so they must have a better record than golden state to get the 10th spot. I think Houston can beat the lakers if shengun is back. Lebrons window is closed already, they are not winning it all this year.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:36 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
As a Knick fan, how about this dream trade. I'd say trade Green, Wiggins and Moody for Randle, Robinson and draft picks either way to make the salaries work. Green, Wiggins are Thibs type of players. Moody would be a nice young asset for the Knicks. Would hate to lose Randle but he folds in the playoffs and Robinson is injury prone. It would be small ball, east coast style.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Trade for what? Green, wiggins have big negative trade value. They have to unload multiple picks to get them off the books. And its not easy to land a star, there has to be sellers thats willing to do so, and theres too many buyers.

I give houston a 40% chance of being in the play in, they lose the tiebreaker, so they must have a better record than golden state to get the 10th spot. I think Houston can beat the lakers if shengun is back. Lebrons window is closed already, they are not winning it all this year.
The Rockets have won 9-10 and are 1/2 game back of GS. GS is 4-6 in their last 10. They have one last game against each other in Houston. Lets say the Rockets win that one since they have one of the best home records. So the Rockets need to win one more than GS down the stretch. Say they go 6-4 and the Warriors 6-5. Rockets have the better record. 43-39 for the Rockets and 42-40 for the Warriors. I might give them more than a 40% chance simple because they are playing much better ball than the Warriors. And the trend is your friend as they say.

If you look at what the Warriors have:

Wiggins
Draymond Green
Klay Thompson
Looney
Moody
And perhaps a CP3 sign and trade. As has been talked about he could be good on the Spurs feeding Wemba.

Wiggins is making $24 million. He is a guy that can score 20 a game. Draymond. Lakers would take him to make LeBron happy. Klay. He can still shoot and could be a good 6th man out there. Sign and trade him. Looney. He is one of the best rebounders per minute in the NBA. Moody. He is still 21. They could trade him for some vet talent. And they could move Podziemski also to make a trade work, he is on a rookie contract. Only guy I would not trade beyond Curry is Kuminga. Say you package Wiggins and Moody or Klay and Podziemski. I could see getting back some talent.

I think the Lakers best chance in a play in is Houston and not GS. Just because Lebron and teammates in a one game setting can simply flip the switch into playoff mode and out physical the Rockets. Just overwhelm them like they did Indiana. Its how the Lakers won the in-season tournament. Harder to do that to a veteran team that has seen everything like GS and has Curry who can have a monster game and will his team to victory.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:20 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
It looks like it's time to blow the Warriors up now. In the above scenario, only Curry and Kuminga are left once the dust settles. Maybe Looney. Could you build a roster from that?

Old 03-26-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Wiggins is making $24 million. He is a guy that can score 20 a game. Draymond. Lakers would take him to make LeBron happy. Klay. He can still shoot and could be a good 6th man out there. Sign and trade him.
Wiggins can score 20, but those days are over unless its contract year. His contract is trash.

Draymond is going to make 25 million per year for 3 more years. He is not prime draymond, and lakers might think twice about taking that bad contract, on top of having no chance to win a championship with a year 22 lebron, then deal with draymonds contract for 2 more years, and deal with his personality issues.

Klay will want to get paid for the past. If he does and you trade him, it will be a very bad contract. Its best to let him walk, but that will make some warriors fans mad, and golden state will get some haters for that. Kinda like how boston did iasiah thomas, but klay helped win multiple championships, thomas did not.

If its so easy, warriors would have done these trades already. Had these players been in their prime, thats a different story. No one wants overpaid, aging stars that are not stars anymore.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:39 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Kerr & Curry are signed through 2026, Green through 2027. Klay probably won’t sign more than three years on any contract. I think they all retire after that. I doubt they do any more serious contending unless one or two of their current youngsters become All-Star level talent which is doubtful. The other teams are younger & faster and Steph is slowing down in his ability to carry the team on his back. I don’t think Klay will demand more than a bench player. He’s stated in the past he’d rather retire than play for another team or coach.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Kerr & Curry are signed through 2026, Green through 2027. Klay probably won’t sign more than three years on any contract. I think they all retire after that. I doubt they do any more serious contending unless one or two of their current youngsters become All-Star level talent which is doubtful. The other teams are younger & faster and Steph is slowing down in his ability to carry the team on his back. I don’t think Klay will demand more than a bench player. He’s stated in the past he’d rather retire than play for another team or coach.
Very hard to say. People want money. Klays statue will be at san francisco. He wants to get paid for his past, and be a rotation player when he gets older.

He cant get more money with another team, his age and injuries will make other teams not offer much. He might get more money with golden state, just for the past. I dont see a scenario where he takes less than what other teams offer and stay with golden state.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Wiggins can score 20, but those days are over unless its contract year. His contract is trash.

Draymond is going to make 25 million per year for 3 more years. He is not prime draymond, and lakers might think twice about taking that bad contract, on top of having no chance to win a championship with a year 22 lebron, then deal with draymonds contract for 2 more years, and deal with his personality issues.

Klay will want to get paid for the past. If he does and you trade him, it will be a very bad contract. Its best to let him walk, but that will make some warriors fans mad, and golden state will get some haters for that. Kinda like how boston did iasiah thomas, but klay helped win multiple championships, thomas did not.

If its so easy, warriors would have done these trades already. Had these players been in their prime, thats a different story. No one wants overpaid, aging stars that are not stars anymore.
I don't think they tried to make those trades. Up until this season this group under Kerr they were either a championship contender or struggling through injuries that prevented them from being a contender. And I think even at the all star break it seems they thought that they still might have a good season. They could have gone on a big run and ended up a 4 or 5 seed and then anything is possible.

Yet healthy and Kuminga being a break out player for them. They are still bad. That big run never happened. So now I think they might get serious about some trades. Or you go on a 2 year farewell tour. Let the team get very bad and hope you luckout in the draft.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I don't think they tried to make those trades. Up until this season this group under Kerr they were either a championship contender or struggling through injuries that prevented them from being a contender. And I think even at the all star break it seems they thought that they still might have a good season. They could have gone on a big run and ended up a 4 or 5 seed and then anything is possible.

Yet healthy and Kuminga being a break out player for them. They are still bad. That big run never happened. So now I think they might get serious about some trades. Or you go on a 2 year farewell tour. Let the team get very bad and hope you luckout in the draft.
Its either empty your entire future picks to get rid of green, klay, wiggins and get no stars in return, still lose for a decade, just to save on massive salary.

Or keep them, keep on losing for 3 years, hopefully draft something good, but pay a ton of salary and luxury tax for 3 years. Once trade talks come, teams will negotiate and gm's are not stupid. Wiggins, klay, green will never be an all star ever again.

Its already so over. They are doing it the kobe way, just pay steph, klay, green for the past. Danny ainge screwed kg, pierce but they rebounded fast with those picks from the nets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball