Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 12:52 PM

344 posts, read 144,251 times

Advertisements

Watching the price digestion and weak hands folding. Then, upward prices will continue. Folks are moving here in droves. I say let them come. Growth is inevitable , its a nice place still. I love the morning sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 09:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
The real estate market has indeed softened. Lots of price reductions and more inventory. This is a good thing as the market has been completely out of balance for a number of years. That said, well-priced homes in quality neighborhoods are still moving fairly quickly. I don't expect a major price correction down the road, but this new equilibrium may persist for 6 months or more.

For those who want to put down roots in the TV, have their finances in order, and purchase within their means, this is a good buying opportunity. While lower prices are nice (and often what people focus on), the shift to more of a buyer's market is more important. It means folks are more likely to find a house they love in the neighborhood they desire. It also means less competition with over-asking all-cash offers, and the ability to actually do inspections and negotiate with sellers. Again, all around good stuff for the health of the housing market.

Will prices shoot up again in the future? No one knows, nor is this a good reason to buy housing as it's nothing more than speculation. [I would also argue that rapidly increasing prices are a net negative for the community, but that's a topic for a different thread.] A house is a place to live and owning provides long-term stability. If you plan on living here for 10+ years then don't worry about short-term price fluctuations. With a lot more inventory to choose from now you can take your time and do your homework. If you find a house you like that's been on the market for > 3 months you may be able to negotiate a lower price or other concessions.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:31 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
There will be downs and lows regarding the RE market, but Idaho will continue growing.

Boise's RE market has a bright future because of Micron's $15 Billion dollar expansion that will create 17,000 new jobs in the area. This is going to spur even more hi-tech job growth in Boise and Idaho.

This is huge investment in the USA and Boise is at the forefront.

https://boisedev.com/news/2022/09/12...roundbreaking/

Old 09-16-2022, 12:31 AM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Prices for homes in the Boise area did in fact drop a little over 4% last month but that is still a net growth in values over the year. Our 20-30% a year appreciation wasn't sustainable. I know some builder's who's profit margins escalated to about 25% when they couldn't build fast enough. Now that things are reaching an equilibrium and homes are sitting on the market for 2-3 months instead of 2-3 days, their margins are dropping to closer to 8-10% (normal in most cases). Therefore, on a $500,000 home, a 15% reduction in margins is a net difference of $75k. Lumber prices have dropped but other materials are still currently at a premium.

It is actually a great time to buy since buyer's aren't competing in bidding wars against a half a dozen cash buyers offering over asking price while removing appraisal and inspection contingencies. Buyer's have a chance to wrap in closing costs again.

I welcome a normal 3% appreciating market again in that is a sustainable appreciation rate. For the past two years I would tell my buyers "If you want to go home sleep on your decision, that is fine. However if you do, you might not be sleeping IN IT due to the potential of multiple offers on the first day!"

Old 09-16-2022, 10:22 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Prices for homes in the Boise area did in fact drop a little...

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your "insider" perspective. Interesting information.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-19-2022, 12:56 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
Why is there so much anger amongst native Idahoans about people coming in here and buying houses?

Wages are not very high in Idaho, compared to other areas. Equity-rich people from other areas purchase the available housing, which results in a lower supply and drives the prices higher to the point where established residents can no longer afford to purchase their own home.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-19-2022, 01:24 PM

48 posts, read 45,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Wages are not very high in Idaho, compared to other areas. Equity-rich people from other areas purchase the available housing, which results in a lower supply and drives the prices higher to the point where established residents can no longer afford to purchase their own home.
Along with that, once many newcomers settle in, they'll say "Why don't you have X, Y and Z here like we did back home?" and then proceed with efforts to turn Idaho into "back home".

Old 09-19-2022, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
Why is there so much anger amongst native Idahoans about people coming in here and buying houses?
I've asked myself the same question my entire life. My family moved from California to Washington state in 1961. It was a culture shock for us, as the Puget Sound wasn't exactly the center of the universe at that time, especially for folks coming from California. I made new friends as a teenager who had no idea what a taco was, and there was only one place in Snohomish County to get pizza. But the World's Fair the following year and Boeing and the tech industries changed that quickly. But so-called natives were not happy with the progress, and they griped about people moving in and changing everything for the worst ... lutefisk was still at the top of their menu ... who needs a taco or pizza?

Thirty years later, in 1991, my husband and I moved from Washington to Boise. The culture shock was even more pronounced. At that time Boise seemed like a provincial outpost to us. But the gripe was still the same ... the so-called natives here were not happy about "equity immigrants" moving here and buying houses they themselves could not afford. But those immigrants wanted the goods and services and modern culture they enjoyed elsewhere before moving here, and their demand and influence has modernized and improved Treasure Valley immeasurably. I've been happily watching it for 31 years.

This "interloper" anger is nothing new, it's been around for years, and occurs all over the US/world, not just Idaho. I believe its primary basis is envy.

Last edited by RiverCityDweller; 09-19-2022 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: duplication

Old 09-19-2022, 04:13 PM

48 posts, read 45,997 times
I came to Idaho 31 years ago, too. I am watching not-so-happily, as I liked Idaho the way it was back then. Now, not so much.

It's not envy to be distressed at seeing the place you live converted into the place other people used to live before they got here and decided it needed changing.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure 12 View Post
I came to Idaho 31 years ago, too. I am watching not-so-happily, as I liked Idaho the way it was back then. Now, not so much.

It's not envy to be distressed at seeing the place you live converted into the place other people used to live before they got here and decided it needed changing.
There is no way to stop growth, and with growth comes change, guaranteed. You can embrace it, live with it, or move somewhere that suits you better. People do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area