Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 07:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times

Advertisements

Interesting how people started feeling differently about Barnes & Noble, once it was a matter of Amazon driving bookstores out of business.

I like that the article mentions that online booksellers recognize there is a major difference between buying online and browsing in an actual bookstore.

How Barnes & Noble went from villain to hero
In the past, the book-selling empire, with 600 outposts across all 50 states, was seen by many readers, writers and book lovers as strong-arming publishers and gobbling up independent stores in its quest for market share. Today, virtually the entire publishing industry is rooting for Barnes & Noble — including most independent booksellers.
“It would be a disaster if they went out of business,” said Jane Dystel, a literary agent with clients including Colleen Hoover, who has four books on this week’s New York Times bestseller list. “There’s a real fear that without this book chain, the print business would be way off.”
Buying a book you’re looking for online is easy. You search. You click. You buy. What’s lost in that process are the accidental finds, the book you pick up in a store because of its cover, a paperback you see on a stroll through the thriller section.
https:// theworldnews.net/bd-news/how-barnes-noble-went-from-villain-to-hero

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 09:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,540,289 times
I miss browsing bookstores and record stores. I don't have a way to get to either anymore and, of course, both are dying out. I hope Barnes & Noble survives. It was my favorite chain back in the day.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:13 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Hailing B&N as a hero for publishing is wrong. A lesser villain is still a villain, not a hero. You may loose snakes in your house to get rid of the rats, but then you're left with a houseful of snakes.

But publishers are also the cause of a lot of their own miseries. So much of publishing has been gathered into a few megacompanies --- Bertelsmann, Hachette, Harpercollins, Simon & Schuster, etc.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:04 PM

35,123 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I miss browsing bookstores and record stores. I don't have a way to get to either anymore and, of course, both are dying out. I hope Barnes & Noble survives. It was my favorite chain back in the day.
You can still find a record store. A few have popped up lately and vinyl seems to be coming back. Our B&N in White Plains has a vinyl record section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books