Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2024, 07:35 AM

5,318 posts, read 3,204,475 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the city of Boston. I lived in NC for about 20 years and when you signed up for electricity it was one company from electricity generation to delivery to billing. I just got a letter in the mail regarding Boston Community Choice Electricity and the need to choose a supplier/opt out/do nothing by April 18.

The letter goes over the options for the mix of electric suppliers and estimated billing rate. Then there's a line about an option to "choose your own Competitive Supplier (if one is available to you)." The letter also carries the disclaimers that savings are not guaranteed.

This is all new to me so I'm just looking for experiences of people who changed suppliers and whether it made a difference on the bill or not.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 02:42 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I'm new to the city of Boston. I lived in NC for about 20 years and when you signed up for electricity it was one company from electricity generation to delivery to billing. I just got a letter in the mail regarding Boston Community Choice Electricity and the need to choose a supplier/opt out/do nothing by April 18.

The letter goes over the options for the mix of electric suppliers and estimated billing rate. Then there's a line about an option to "choose your own Competitive Supplier (if one is available to you)." The letter also carries the disclaimers that savings are not guaranteed.

This is all new to me so I'm just looking for experiences of people who changed suppliers and whether it made a difference on the bill or not.

Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly, you are opted in automatically and get a fixed rate rate through a certain point in time (not sure what it is now - end of 2024 or spring 2025, maybe?). If you opt out, you'll pay Eversource's going rate (really the only other option) which is usually higher by default and subject to fluctuation. There are alternative suppliers, but I know little about them and have (for better or worse) generally assumed they're mostly more expensive (and some borderline scams). We always considered it a two option situation BCCE (which is still delivered through Eversource) or opting out and going directly through Eversource. And BCCE was always the better option.

The only concern we had with BCCE is that if Eversource's rates dropped and we weren't paying close attention (i.e. checking regularly), we'd be paying more via BCCE without noticing it. But that's a minor concern as you can opt out of BCCE any time with no penalty/cancellation fee. If it were me, I'd check the BCCE rate and the direct Eversource rate and go with whichever was lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston