Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 PM

13 posts, read 19,640 times

Advertisements

Many secular western Buddhists claim that God (at least in the idea of a creator God) is incompatible with Buddhism. That the millions of Buddhist worldwide who revere and pray to the various gods/Devas/Boddisattvas are superstioius and completely going against what Buddha taught.

Yet, those beings that many Buddhists pray to may be gods, but they are not God. As such, with it's general non-theism, is there anything inherently wrong with any Buddhist who prays to or reveres any Deva or Boddhisattva? Or any deity that was assimilated into Buddhism from various cultures (Hindu, Shinto, Chinese Folk, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
In fact, yes. It is misdirection of effort which should be directed towards escaping the cycle of rebirth and can at best only lead (through accumulation of good deeds) to rebirth in one of the heavens, with a palace and bevy of demi-goddesses. This is of course what nobody would want rather than Nirvana, so one can only trust that the deva or Boddhisattva prayed to will appear and gently guide the worshipper to the eightfold path again.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftduff View Post
Many secular western Buddhists claim that God (at least in the idea of a creator God) is incompatible with Buddhism. That the millions of Buddhist worldwide who revere and pray to the various gods/Devas/Boddisattvas are superstioius and completely going against what Buddha taught.

Yet, those beings that many Buddhists pray to may be gods, but they are not God. As such, with it's general non-theism, is there anything inherently wrong with any Buddhist who prays to or reveres any Deva or Boddhisattva? Or any deity that was assimilated into Buddhism from various cultures (Hindu, Shinto, Chinese Folk, etc.)?
I am not a Tibetan, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc., cultures where one is most likely to find the phenomena raised in the OP's question; thus, a sense of politeness, or whatever,
disinclines me to give a strongly negative answer.

These devas, bodhisattvas, borrowed deities, etc. are thoroughly integral to the Buddhism of these cultures....so for me as an outsider, I just appreciate this aspect culturally and leave it at that.

I was born in the U.S. of a Western European ethnicity, and raised in the R.C. religion and for a period in later adult life attended a uniate Greek Ukranian Catholic church. Both of these branches of Catholicism during the era of which I am speaking were routinely deeply involved the cult of the saints, and especially that the Mary the mother of Jesus, sometimes to such a degree that in the amount of time consumed in prayer and ritual and the proliferation of art in religious buildings it would have taken a non-Christian some time to figure out what the center of this faith was supposed to be. But.....it was part and parcel of the ethnic subculture I was raised in and identified with.

In midlife, my attitude changed and this seemed not only irrelevant, but a negative distraction from what were supposedly the central aspects of the religion.

Upon encountering Buddhism it was in NYC where Theravada, various Mahayana temples and sects and Tibetan Buddhism fell into my lap almost simultaneously. And I did attend centers and meetings and read on all of them. In the end, I came to feel that the plainest teachings and settings of Theravada were what I was comfortable with. I was not of an Asian background and had no cultural attachment to the more elaborate ceremonies, and the various deities, etc. and they seemed to me to be too removed from the essential core of dharma teachings for me to become involved in.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 AM

Good comments. I have to say that the mahayana -tantric stuff struck me as a distraction from the simple central direction of Right Effort, central to Buddhist thought. While the panoply of saints, devas and boddhisattvas may play their part in engaging the interest of the worshipper, that one has to thinks through, past and around them to get to the basics, suggests to me that one might as well go to the basics right away.

That the Boddhisattvas delayed their entry into the extinction of being that is Nirvana is appreciated, but they would be enlightened enough to know to give assistance without anyone having to waste time praying to them for help and indeed, were I a Boddhisattva (somewhat less likely than the chance of my becoming US president) I would be distressed at the distraction my existence might be causing to some lay people, who would be better going to the basics, (The monks of the Sangha of course knowing better and avoiding such distractions).

Old 09-09-2014, 12:15 PM

20 posts, read 18,721 times
Why do it matter if diffs god were prayed by other religion?
The main point is on 1st page, 1st sentence of all religion book stated clearly on how many god of creation.

Why need to judge who's god is the true one?
Cos who know god already in your world (read my homepage - you will know why god already here)

Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 18,721 times
Dont worries about who is god or who is not cos i didnot stated who is god but somehow you know god already existed in your own feeling.

Cos you understand your feeling were used for energy movement.

# Who created car are the one using it, A HUMAN

HOW TO SEE HUMAN IS NOT A CREATION IF YOUR FEELING WERE USED FOR ENERGY MOVEMENT?

I DIDNOT STATED WHO IS GOD BUT I ONLY SAID I MAKE HUMAN BRAIN FOR LIVING.
Why? God could only stand firm by 3 aspect - theory, facts and practical.

Practical will happen this october 9th. Then god can stand firm in new era.
Be wise and read to understand why the storm is coming this october. The last judgement

Last edited by Devil in disguise; 09-09-2014 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-09-2014, 04:37 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,746 times
I was under the impression that Buddhism was mostly an atheistic religion.

There is a realm of the gods within Samsara, but aspiring to be reborn in that realm is a deviation from the path to enlightenment because the Gods tend to live in a heightened state of pleasure that makes it difficult to rid one's self of desire... and when they die after living hundreds/thousands of years, they frequently descend into one of the lower realms because of how they've neglected their spiritual development.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM

You are correct. which is why Buddhist 'salvation' is in the hands of the individual, not in the hands of gods or demigods. Buddhism is atheistic in that gods are irrelevant, even if they exist.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 AM

13 posts, read 19,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I was under the impression that Buddhism was mostly an atheistic religion.

There is a realm of the gods within Samsara, but aspiring to be reborn in that realm is a deviation from the path to enlightenment because the Gods tend to live in a heightened state of pleasure that makes it difficult to rid one's self of desire... and when they die after living hundreds/thousands of years, they frequently descend into one of the lower realms because of how they've neglected their spiritual development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You are correct. which is why Buddhist 'salvation' is in the hands of the individual, not in the hands of gods or demigods. Buddhism is atheistic in that gods are irrelevant, even if they exist.
Yes, there is really no creator God in Buddhism, but like others have mentioned, many schools have a plethora of divine beings called "gods". As far as I know, they can't "save us" (we have to save ourselves), but they can help us along our Dharma. Which is why many Buddhists will still pray to the Devas and Boddisattvas for help. Not for salvation, but for guidance.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Yes. I recall that Buddha had no opinions about where the universe came from. That was, in Buddhist thought, a subject that was of no help in escaping the wheel of rebirth.

As to the Boddhisattvas, as Theradin -partial, Ii would see the 'guidance' argument a pretext for opting for prayers that one can just babble before doing something else rather than the more prolonged and difficult meditation to enlightenment.

Guidance is not required. The Tagathata gave all the guidance that was needed - and more. What is needed is to do it. Praying to devas and saints is an avoidance of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism