Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 09:04 PM

377 posts, read 381,992 times

Advertisements

My son works at a small clothing manufacturer, approx 30 employees. Over the last year, the owner has been making some very curious business decisions such as:

1. Deciding to only fill about half of the orders, even though the clothes are in stock

2. Hiring more employees who are paid to just sit around and do nothing

3. Sinking a lot of revenue into factory expansion, we're talking hundreds of thousands

4. Giving out raises to employees that are absurdly high (i.e. after 1 month of work an employee gets 50% pay raise regardless of performance)

To me, this sounds like a front for laundering money where the owner is spending absurd sums that don't make business sense. I assume that the owner doesn't really care if the business loses money or not, because the primary purpose is to use ill gotten gains and use the clothing manufacturer to "wash" it so therefore the owner doesn't care if he takes a 50% hit.

Of course, maybe I've been watching too much Ozark on Netflix too, but this setup seems awfully familiar to Marty's plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 06:18 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Or the owner may be trying to make sure any heirs don't inherit anything.

Or there may be a buyout in the works that requires puffing up the business.

Or there may be a divorce that is guiding some decisions.

Or...

The first part of any investigation in search of causation is to not rule out anything, and to attempt to include everything that is a possibility. Only then do you move on to eliminating possibilities.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:34 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
ummmm....could be....

Old 02-22-2023, 09:24 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post

To me, this sounds like a front for laundering money where the owner is spending absurd sums that don't make business sense. I assume that the owner doesn't really care if the business loses money or not, because the primary purpose is to use ill gotten gains and use the clothing manufacturer to "wash" it so therefore the owner doesn't care if he takes a 50% hit.

Of course, maybe I've been watching too much Ozark on Netflix too, but this setup seems awfully familiar to Marty's plans.
The problem with that, is the thing about that is the guy is spending it, not laundering it.

What are some examples of money laundering?
A criminal or criminal organization owns a legitimate restaurant business. Money obtained from illegal activities is gradually deposited into a bank through the restaurant. The restaurant reports daily cash sales much higher than what it actually takes in.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:17 AM

3,181 posts, read 1,654,323 times
What business isn’t a front for money laundering legit or illegal. They are all legal vehicles for moving money and avoid taxation through various means.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are probably many businesses that are laundering money, or fronts for illegal activities such as gambling, drugs or prostitution. Without someone ratting them out to the authorities, they can go on for a long time. We had a chain of massage parlors in nearby cities that recently were busted for prostitution. When I had a business myself a neighboring
sushi restaurant would have people come in after closing, and from midnight to 5am on Friday nights would be playing some kind of card game, and money was on the tables. There is a dental office a few miles away that has odd hours, open on Sunday but not Saturday, and for such a small office have way too many cars parked then. That one could be legitimate, but it looks suspicious, like the OP's situation, there could be legitimate facts that we are not aware of.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:50 PM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Could be trying to fail for a tax write-off?

Waaaay back when, I worked at a fish processing facility - a few of us staff were pulled off our lines for a new project. The rumor mill got around to us that it was designed to 'fail' so it could be used for tax purposes.
I didn't care as long as I got paid - it was a seasonal job.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
The problem with that, is the thing about that is the guy is spending it, not laundering it.
OP must think giving clothes to Goodwill is doing laundry. The idea of money laundering is to actually have some clean money left after said laundering. The business owner described is just wasting money not washing it.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:55 AM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The business owner described is just wasting money not washing it.
Exactly - the typical money-laundering businesses are selling a service, not a product. Authorities can't go to invoices to validate the sales levels.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
iOS ypur son paid minimum wage and the rest in cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business