Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:12 AM

9,970 posts, read 7,872,591 times

Advertisements

Never had this happen before. We have a retail store and we were contacted by a business demanding details of a purchase made by one of their managers who used the company credit card.

I really felt uncomfortable being in the middle of some sort of employer/employee issue. She basically threatened to do a chargeback if I wouldn't give her more details. The receipt states it's for 10 widgets, I told her the only other detail I could probably find was the brand. Seems like the employee should be asked directly.

My general understanding is that a company can have authorized users on their credit cards and is responsible for all purchases made, but if an employee makes a personal purchase, they deal with the employee directly to get repayment.

I don't think they can do a chargeback just because the employee bought something that wasn't approved by the company. But I don't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:03 AM

17,733 posts, read 15,502,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Never had this happen before. We have a retail store and we were contacted by a business demanding details of a purchase made by one of their managers who used the company credit card.

I really felt uncomfortable being in the middle of some sort of employer/employee issue. She basically threatened to do a chargeback if I wouldn't give her more details. The receipt states it's for 10 widgets, I told her the only other detail I could probably find was the brand. Seems like the employee should be asked directly.

My general understanding is that a company can have authorized users on their credit cards and is responsible for all purchases made, but if an employee makes a personal purchase, they deal with the employee directly to get repayment.

I don't think they can do a chargeback just because the employee bought something that wasn't approved by the company. But I don't know for sure.

They'll lose the chargeback if you provide the receipt, which, it seems obvious you have.

You're in the right here.

I've been on both sides of this. Working in the POS field, I often have to research things like this and.. Often have to investigate when employee theft is suspected. I've also had to investigate our own employees.. Clawing back money from employees when I find some idiot went and made a purchase at "Smoking Joe's Discount Tobacco" or spent $75 on a meal at Hooters.

You've given them the info that you have. If they do a chargeback.. So be it, provide the info to their bank that is requested and they should rule on your side. It's not your job to tell if an authorized user of a card is authorized to buy what they're buying. Just that they're an authorized user.

And now, with chip cards.. And I'm hoping that it was a chip card and you ran it as such.. signatures aren't even required, so.. You wouldn't have to provide the voucher with a signature, either. You really never want to allow someone to swipe or manually enter a card anymore. Far less merchant protection there.

Old Today, 10:18 AM

9,970 posts, read 7,872,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They'll lose the chargeback if you provide the receipt, which, it seems obvious you have.

You're in the right here.

I've been on both sides of this. Working in the POS field, I often have to research things like this and.. Often have to investigate when employee theft is suspected. I've also had to investigate our own employees.. Clawing back money from employees when I find some idiot went and made a purchase at "Smoking Joe's Discount Tobacco" or spent $75 on a meal at Hooters.

You've given them the info that you have. If they do a chargeback.. So be it, provide the info to their bank that is requested and they should rule on your side. It's not your job to tell if an authorized user of a card is authorized to buy what they're buying. Just that they're an authorized user.

And now, with chip cards.. And I'm hoping that it was a chip card and you ran it as such.. signatures aren't even required, so.. You wouldn't have to provide the voucher with a signature, either. You really never want to allow someone to swipe or manually enter a card anymore. Far less merchant protection there.
Thanks, yes, it was a chip card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business