Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 12:29 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

Backstory —

I bought my rig new and it now has 148,000 miles. I love the diesel engine and its gobs of torque. It can tow up to 7,400 lbs. It pulls almost effortlessly.

I keep it mostly stock. It has the stock air suspension and for my needs it is perfect. This is my daily driver and 99% of my miles are on pavement, and 1% are out on the trail. It has the most trail capable features that Jeep provides. And when my wife and I are out on the trail we do some fairly gnarly obstacles. This is no mall queen. She is shod with slightly oversized A/T tires.

The JGC is extremely comfortable on the highway. She’ll cruise comfortably at 100 MPH all day long when it’s 105 °F out, and the engine and transmission never get hot. I live near San Francisco and with the wide open western states’ highways that we have, in many places 100 MPH is very safe to do (think of I-10, I-40, and I-80, and US-40 and US-50 east of Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, and Montana).

/backstory

Here is the main question: should we get an RV trailer? Or how about an RTT, roof top tent? When my wife and I road trip and explore the US, and North America and Central America, how should we do it? We don’t own any of them right now.

Each has its pros and cons. So, I’m looking for suggestions and your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 12:32 AM

I thought I’d share a few pictures of our JGC out on the trail.

https://imgur.com/a/9xtBNFg

Old 08-19-2023, 08:33 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
^^^You lost me with the idea of towing a travel trailer in Central America. I've driven throughout Mexico and down the Panam Highway as far as Nicaragua. However, the vehicle I drove was an an older base model Nissan compact pickup truck that did not attract much attention as they are plain and common. Your high end JGC is going to attract a lot more attention, and not necessarily in a good way - I am talking about risky situations with personal security or robbery.

Adding a travel trailer is really going to attract attention. It will also limit your ability to get around obstacles or detours. Also, once further south from Mexico, road conditions are a mixed bag, especially in Costa Rica.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:08 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Have you visited Expedition Portal? That forum has a lot of people that have done what you want to do.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
keep it light, removeable, and stealth (for South of the USA border)

If you camp off-road, you need a high ground clearance and tall wheel trailer.

I (truckdriver) consider trailers a PITA that I would rather do without will on personal travel. But for long extended stays they offer S-P-A-C-E.

If you are still young and agile, I'd stick with a tent, and save the dough for an occasional cabin. I would think the 'adventure / expedition group' would have a list and resource of great places to stay while on adventures. We have got such private lists from various organizations while traveling worldwide. Lots of memories meeting and staying with new friends in very nice quaint locations. (not 5 star resorts with organized tours)

If you love your rig... look into have a 'pop-top' installed (My friends have had the conversions done in Canada - don't think the USA is friendly to that modification). That might not fit your needs and also jeopardize safety in a roll-over, so... plan wisely. Rooftop tent is not simple or cheap, but can work too (and can be removed). That was very popular in NZ.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
^^^You lost me with the idea of towing a travel trailer in Central America. I've driven throughout Mexico and down the Panam Highway as far as Nicaragua. However, the vehicle I drove was an an older base model Nissan compact pickup truck that did not attract much attention as they are plain and common. Your high end JGC is going to attract a lot more attention, and not necessarily in a good way - I am talking about risky situations with personal security or robbery.

Adding a travel trailer is really going to attract attention. It will also limit your ability to get around obstacles or detours. Also, once further south from Mexico, road conditions are a mixed bag, especially in Costa Rica.
The travel trailer would not be for deep into Mexico or Central America. And yes I’m sensitive to and aware of the JGC attracting attention.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Have you visited Expedition Portal? That forum has a lot of people that have done what you want to do.
I am on there, yes. It’s a very good resource.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
keep it light, removeable, and stealth (for South of the USA border)

If you camp off-road, you need a high ground clearance and tall wheel trailer.

I (truckdriver) consider trailers a PITA that I would rather do without will on personal travel. But for long extended stays they offer S-P-A-C-E.

If you are still young and agile, I'd stick with a tent, and save the dough for an occasional cabin. I would think the 'adventure / expedition group' would have a list and resource of great places to stay while on adventures. We have got such private lists from various organizations while traveling worldwide. Lots of memories meeting and staying with new friends in very nice quaint locations. (not 5 star resorts with organized tours)

If you love your rig... look into have a 'pop-top' installed (My friends have had the conversions done in Canada - don't think the USA is friendly to that modification). That might not fit your needs and also jeopardize safety in a roll-over, so... plan wisely. Rooftop tent is not simple or cheap, but can work too (and can be removed). That was very popular in NZ.
Light, stealth, and quick to move are features that appeal to me. This will definitely factor into my solution(s).

I rented a travel trailer, one of the biggest I could tow, to try out the concept. It was a 29’, 5,300 lbs dry trailer. I have some pictures of it. I’ll try to find them.

Regarding young and agile and a tent, I was in the Marines for 13 years and I am DONE with sleeping on the ground. I’ve spent plenty of time in the field, in heavy rains, cold winter snow and ice, and the lovely summers in the beautiful Mojave desert. Been there, done that. I am 62 and retired, so I prefer no more tents.

Regarding installing a pop-up, that is a very interesting idea. I will be looking into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:29 PM

I found my pictures and posted them to imgur. This was a test of the concept, for if we might enjoy the trailering experience. A 29’ and 5,300# dry weight camper trailer, I would never want to buy anything this big but we wanted to try it out. We camped at an RV park along the Malibu coast and it was a pretty location.

Just because the Jeep could pull it, the rig was a handful and is probably too much to tow safely on a regular basis. On the drive back home it was nice to pull over and take a comfortable nap when I got tired. That’s a big plus for this setup, the impromptu nap.

Here are a couple of pictures:

https://imgur.com/gallery/oVjSIjE

Old 08-19-2023, 07:55 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default about roof-top tents

I looked at a few of them at a recent outdoor expo, and noticed something missing:
the ladders end at the edge of the tent, so there's nothing to hold onto as you
climb from ladder into tent, or from tent down to ladder. Have any of the RTT
makers addressed this problem? I think the ladders ought to be wider,
and the vertical parts of the ladder ought to extend higher than the floor
of the tent. That would give something secure to grip while entering / exiting
the RTT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing