Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 02:10 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times

Advertisements

This is last weeks news, but Notley has announced her intention to step down as NDP leader. What’s next for her? She’s still young for a politician and is well liked across Canada, even by many moderate conservatives.

Alberta’s NDP is more centrist than Ontario’s for example. Part of that probably helps with her popularity, her party isn’t seen to be as radical. I’m not sure if she has any interest in entering federal politics, but the federal NDP has had their share of seats plummet for 9 years. That being said, politically the federal Liberals are probably closer to the Alberta NDP policy wise. Trudeau’s funding of the Trans mountain pipeline for example, was criticized heavily by the federal NDP but supported by Notley’s party. Do you think if there’s a leadership change in either of these parties, she’ll throw her hat in the ring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 02:15 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Can she parlay-voo at least a little bit?

Old 02-01-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Can she parlay-voo at least a little bit?
Typical Anglo that I am, I didn’t even think of that. Probably not, being from Alberta, but maybe I’m wrong. I guess that would rule her out of the federal parties

Old 02-02-2024, 01:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Typical Anglo that I am, I didn’t even think of that. Probably not, being from Alberta, but maybe I’m wrong. I guess that would rule her out of the federal parties
Tried digging around in Google. Can't find anything that says she does. Perhaps that is why she is saying she doesn't want to enter federal politics.

Time will tell.

Some might find this interesting.

"French is the mother tongue of 1 in 5 Canadians and approximately 88,010 Albertans (2% of the population)."

https://www.alberta.ca/francophone-h...ian%20heritage.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:53 PM

The French bar isn't as high for an NDP leader as it would normally be for a Liberal leader.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The French bar isn't as high for an NDP leader as it would normally be for a Liberal leader.
You’re probably right but it’s gonna bite them in the ass if they want to replicate the success they had under Layton in Quebec. It’s harder for me to gauge as a second language speaker, but the French debates seemed like Jagmeet was pretty good. Better in French than Scheer, I thought. Elizabeth May was the one that stuck out. (She is probably what I would sound like trying to talk politics in French)
I think we really need to improve French language courses in the ROC.
I don’t know why the anglo countries have such a hard time learning a second language. Maybe some sort of exchange program with schools in rural Quebec or something. I really don’t know. Without immersion, it’s impossible.
I’m guessing Alberta legislature doesn’t have any MLAs who use French during question period so it’s probably difficult to get a gauge of what Notley’s level of speaking is.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:17 PM

The NDP won't ever repeat Jack Layton's success in Québec.

Agreed about Jagmeet Singh's French. It's quite impressive.

Though Pierre Poilievre is quite good in French too.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:58 PM

Religious symbols and multiculturalism are a losing battle in Quebec, I think this is what hurt Singh’s leadership there. Do you think a change in leadership might turn things around? Quebec is really the swing province of Canada that is the least partisan it feels like. It’s hard to be optimistic about the NDP right now with their tanking presence in Ottawa but I could see someone like Notley having a bigger voice for provincial autonomy from the left which might sway some Bloc and Liberal voters in Quebec. Alberta and Quebec have this in common, I think.

Old 02-03-2024, 01:36 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"French is the mother tongue of 1 in 5 Canadians and approximately 88,010 Albertans (2% of the population)."
I won't comment except to say that I really miss the Montrealer who ran a deli locally. And he served the best Montreal Smoked Meat you could get west of Montreal. Trust me, I've had so-called "Montreal smoked meat" sandwiches in many places in Canada, and none matched what I had in Montreal. Or here in Lethbridge, thanks to that Montreal chef.

I stopped in to this guy's place for lunch often, it was that good. And it was often lunch and a show, as something would go wrong (something always went wrong), and he'd stomp back into the kitchen, and you'd hear a screaming torrent of what I assume was angry French. My Ontario high school French couldn't keep up, but it was sure entertaining.

And his Montreal smoked meat sandwich was oh-so-good; just like I remembered from visits to Montreal, and visiting Ben's and Schwartz's. If he screamed in French at his staff, it didn't matter; we had the best Montreal smoked meat west of Montreal.

Sadly, his restaurant burned down. Some say it was accidental, some say it was arson. Either way, he went out of business. Today, his place is occupied by a diner. I don't mind a diner, and actually like them (you get the best BLTs in the world from an ordinary diner), but I do miss my Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, from a real Montreal chef who would scream in French at his cooks. In Lethbridge, of all places.

Hey, Acajack--maybe we could manage a little mail order?

Old 02-03-2024, 10:33 AM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Religious symbols and multiculturalism are a losing battle in Quebec,.
A better way to put this is Quebec is trully implementing tradtional progressive ideals. Secularism and integration. Multculturalism benefits racists, both local racists and those that come from elsewhere. Integration takes one side to want to join the society that is welcoming them in and the local people to welcome and accept the new comers in and become part of them. That is more conducive for the well being of a nation, get everyone one the same page as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada