Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 12:29 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

Advertisements

I received a diagnosis of uterine cancer in November 2022. Initially, I was told that I had stage one uterine cancer. On February 1, 2023, I had my uterus and cervix removed at the City of Hope. My surgeon let me know that the cancer had progressed to stage 2 since it had moved to my cervix. The cancer has not moved anywhere else. But cancer is a tricky disease. My medical team told me that I needed radiation to kill any remaining cancer cells. I will undergo radiation 5x a week for 5 weeks.

The City of Hope gave me two pages of instructions for self-care during radiation. To protect my skin, I bought a jar of Aquaphor (recommended by the City of Hope).

I'd love to know from anyone else has experienced radiation if there's any advice to give, particularly skin care.

Thank you for reading, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 05:09 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post

The City of Hope gave me two pages of instructions for self-care during radiation. To protect my skin, I bought a jar of Aquaphor (recommended by the City of Hope).

I'd love to know from anyone else has experienced radiation if there's any advice to give, particularly skin care.

Thank you for reading, people.[/color]
At the radiation facility ask the radiologist or technicians if they have skim cream samples or something they in particular recommend.

Good luck with your treatments and hopefully it will cure all of your cancer issues!

Old 03-18-2023, 02:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
How any individual's skin tolerates radiation varies quite a bit OP. Some people have more reactions than others. I received radiation treatments 5 times a week for 6 weeks. My radiation oncologist also suggested Aquaphor and gave me a starter tube. It worked fine, but I might have been one of those folks who wouldn't have had much of a reaction either way. If you decide to try other skin products, be sure to discuss it with your radiologist beforehand. Some contain ingredients (minerals and metals) that can alter the treatment dose you end up getting. When you apply it matters too.

Good luck OP! Remember, this too shall pass. Compared to months of chemo, radiation was a cakewalk! You've probably already gotten this sort of information, but here are some skin care tips:

https://www.oncolink.org/cancer-trea...iation-therapy

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-18-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
At the radiation facility ask the radiologist or technicians if they have skim cream samples or something they in particular recommend.

Good luck with your treatments and hopefully it will cure all of your cancer issues!
Thank you, Chava61!!!

Old 03-18-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How any individual's skin tolerates radiation varies quite a bit OP. Some people have more reactions than others. I received radiation treatments 5 times a week for 6 weeks. My radiation oncologist also suggested Aquaphor and gave me a starter tube. It worked fine, but I might have been one of those folks who wouldn't have had much of a reaction either way. If you decide to try other skin products, be sure to discuss it with your radiologist beforehand. Some contain ingredients (minerals and metals) that can alter the treatment dose you end up getting. When you apply it matters too.

Good luck OP! Remember, this too shall pass. Compared to months of chemo, radiation was a cakewalk! You've probably already gotten this sort of information, but here are some skin care tips:

https://www.oncolink.org/cancer-trea...iation-therapy
Thank you for the well wishes, Parnassia!!!

Old 03-18-2023, 06:14 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I want to reassure you that you will do well with the radiation therapy. It's a PITA having to go go 5x weekly for 5 weeks and it's a MAJOR PITA to have cancer.
I was lucky to not have any adverse effects from my radiation therapy other than some temporary bowel issues.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:09 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
My dad had radiation treatment for prostate cancer which metastasized to his hip. He used a cream provided by his radiation oncologist - don't remember the name of it - but didn't experience much discomfort until the last two treatments. He still didn't find it to be disabling, even then. I don't know if one's skin pigment makes a difference but he was a very fair Swede who sunburned easily and treatment didn't cause him undue discomfort.

Wishing you all the best as you go through treatment. Five weeks will be gone before you know it.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:52 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
When I had radiation for breast cancer, I was told to use aloe gel every day during treatment, and Aquaphor for a couple of weeks after treatment.

It seems to have done the trick as I had no burning or lasting discoloration or other issues from the radiation. I also don't recall feeling any different in any way during those seven weeks. It was a very easy treatment. I had just been through three months of chemo and I cannot say the same about that.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:09 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
Thank you, Chava61!!!
This is what I was given in samples at the radiation center:
https://www.boironusa.com/product/calendula-cream/

Old 03-19-2023, 08:52 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
^^ I'd forgotten about calendula cream . . . thanks for mentioning it. Years ago I had a second degree burn on my arm from trying and failing to catch a falling clothes iron. The burn got infected, wouldn't heal properly, and nothing prescribed by my physician fixed it. I went to the health food store and calendula was recommended - fixed me right up. I do still have a minor scar but not a big deal. Wonderful stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer