Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2024, 03:27 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,443,031 times

Advertisements

It was "Pet Day" at the local horse race track on the weekend. That meant the "Doggie Derby," and other pet-related events between horse races. It was fun; the call to the post played by the track trumpeter, and the commentary by the track announcer over the PA, and so much else. One dog stopped shy of the finish line, and went bounding away in the infield. Fun for all. Except that dog's owner, I guess.

But here's the thing. It was "Pet Day," and that included cats. The local animal shelter had a lot of photos of animals that needed adopting, among them kittens. I fell in love with a few photos of tabby kittens. I left my name and number with the shelter people.

Obviously, I want to meet with the kittens first, before I make a decision, one way or another. But damn! I love cats. After losing mine during Covid (but not due to Covid, just giving a timeframe), I'm wavering over whether to adopt again. I'm getting old, and kittens need a lot of years, and ....

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 04:07 AM

30,697 posts, read 16,343,872 times
I can relate to that. My suggestion: get an older cat. You don't know what a kitten's personality will be. With an older cat, you know who snuggles and who doesn't, who plays a lot and who doesn't. Older cats (and dogs) are often ignored gems.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:04 AM

30,393 posts, read 23,866,833 times
I agree about getting older cats.

Also, what a fantastic idea to get pets adopted. Never heard of any adoption event that interesting and fun. Whoever came up with that idea is clever.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:24 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,588,113 times
I would never get a kitten again. I had a kitten because I had never had a kitten, only older cats, and I didn't know how good I had it. Kittens are full of energy and climb things and break things and tear up the screens and curtains and so on. Of course, after making that decision, didn't I have a feral kitten come around? But he still goes out and spends a lot of his energy outside. So it's a pact we made: no more kittens, no more outdoor cats. But there are always older cats needing homes, and I would take home a dozen at least if the DH were not here to stop me. If you love cats, you should have a cat or two.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

9,486 posts, read 11,249,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I can relate to that. My suggestion: get an older cat. You don't know what a kitten's personality will be. With an older cat, you know who snuggles and who doesn't, who plays a lot and who doesn't. Older cats (and dogs) are often ignored gems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Also, what a fantastic idea to get pets adopted. Never heard of any adoption event that interesting and fun. Whoever came up with that idea is clever.
We've adopted either older cats or difficult-to-place kitties. Bizzie and Shelly. Years ago. Bizzie was hyper and was returned twice due to biting or scratching. She WAS wired.
Shelly was super-shy and was the special charge of a guy named Daniel at the shelter. Very withdrawn kitty.

Eventually they worked out great. Not without some trials and tribulations though. Eventually Shelly came out of her shell, after getting picked on by Bizzie for months, and laid a paw on Bizzie's face: "Enough!" No more picking, no more bullying. Not too long after that, Shelly hopped into my lap one day. Talk about rewarding. Wish I had that on video.

Molly and River were 11. They were dumped when mom had a hoomin baby. Molly lived to 19 and might be alive today if not for some extraordinary veterinarian incompetence. River is still kicking, about age 20. She's had some issues, she weighs a bit over 5 pounds now but she's extremely affectionate and loving.

Kittens most likely will be adopted. Cats like those above, not so much. It's been incredibly rewarding to have these kitties aboard.

Old Today, 02:51 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,443,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I can relate to that. My suggestion: get an older cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Kittens most likely will be adopted. Cats like those above, not so much. It's been incredibly rewarding to have these kitties aboard.
That's kind of what I'm thinking, and thanks, folks, for those comments. I love kittens; I've adopted many, but I'm getting on, and I would not like to assume a 20-year responsibility if I don't know if I'm going to be here that long. A depressing thought, but one that's a fact.

Maybe an adult cat would be a better choice. They're set in their ways, as I am set in mine, and if we click--well, great! Kittens, you just never know. Thanks again everybody!

Old Today, 07:31 AM

5,732 posts, read 3,230,747 times
I wonder if you'd be willing to foster? That way you'd get your kitten 'fix' and but you'd have them temporarily...getting them ready for a permanent home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats