Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 12:47 PM

554 posts, read 1,069,159 times

Advertisements

My daughter has an iPhone 12, and she forgot her Apple ID password. We are trying to trade in the phone with AT&T for an iPhone 15, but in order to wipe the phone the find my phone function has to be turned off. To complicate matters, she also doesn't remember the password for the gmail address she had established for the account, and she no longer has the phone number tied to that account. The phone number (and phone) tied to the gmail account are also old, so she can't reset the gmail password. Any attempt to reset the Apple ID password sends a code to the gmail address she can't get to, or to the old phone number she doesn't have. We have tried this:

On your iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch, go to Settings, tap on your name at the top, and choose Password & Security.
Choose Change Password.
You'll be prompted to enter your device passcode and then enter a new password and confirm it.
Tap Change.

But that still prompts her for her Apple ID password.

AT&T said she can take the paid receipt from the purchase of the iPhone 12 to an Apple store, and they should be able to wipe that phone. Does anyone know if that is true? That is our next step. Otherwise is would appear the phone is next to worthless. She could keep it and keep using it, but would never be able to sell it or trade it in since she can't wipe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 01:05 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Doing what they suggested is literally your only hope.
Don't remember 2 passwords, Gmail or Apple ID and don't have access to the phone number? You have to understand how skecthy that sounds.
Go to Apple. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:09 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
I've wondered what people do with stolen iphones because of this?

Old 10-19-2023, 10:21 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
I remember when the iPhone was first introduced, Apple set up these security standards and the iPhone was one of the most commonly stolen phones for its time. It was done for a good reason.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

There is software out there that can remove security on phones.
https://www.tenorshare.com/products/...ksource=header

I've used this on some older devices..and it works.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There is software out there that can remove security on phones.
https://www.tenorshare.com/products/...ksource=header

I've used this on some older devices..and it works.
That's a double-edged sword. What if your phone is stolen and the thief uses that software to get your private information?

Old 10-20-2023, 10:34 AM

Usually the process involves wiping the phone.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:16 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:

There is a scam where the person who is in possession of the phone contacts the rightful owner, purporting to be from Apple and attempting to trick said rightful owner into removing the block. If the initial contact is not successful, they degenerate into threats of violence, because the phone is basically a brick at that point. They can break it down and use *some* of the parts, but not all (because they are serially tied to the phone and will not function correctly if installed in a different phone), it is much less valuable as parts than as a working phone.

If your iPhone gets stolen, do not respond to any messages attempting to convince you to un-brick it, just block and ignore.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:18 PM

554 posts, read 1,069,159 times
To put clossure to this thread. The Apple store couldn't help, but Apple has a web page you can use to reset your page . Pretty simple, you put your information in, take a copy of the purchase receipt, and within a couple of days the phone is reset.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:25 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
One thing that helped me re my own Windows 2-in-1 laptop….but that also sort of scares me…..is that you can reinstall Windows without ever logging in.

Someone could steal a computer and the just reinstall windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones