Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times

Advertisements

Did anybody take a look at the latest planned Route ?? Looks like it follows the arterial highways 78 and 52 and meanders back and forth until it gets downtown. Then does a loop and goes back out to Summerville

https://lowcountryrapidtransit.com/about.html

I don't see any explanation of how they will handle traffic lights and exactly where the stations /parking lots will be. Too bad they couldn't keep those little trolleys running downtown -- that would help the parking situation on the peninsula.

Anything that takes cars off of Dorchester Road at Drive Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Did anybody take a look at the latest planned Route ?? Looks like it follows the arterial highways 78 and 52 and meanders back and forth until it gets downtown. Then does a loop and goes back out to Summerville

I don't see any explanation of how they will handle traffic lights and exactly where the stations /parking lots will be. Too bad they couldn't keep those little trolleys running downtown -- that would help the parking situation on the peninsula.

You will notice zero difference with Dorchester Rd traffic or traffic on any other major road after that rapid bus transit starts. There's better ways to spend money to improve traffic flow around the Chas metro. area.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Public Transportation is both an availability issue and a cultural one. To many people believe public transportation is below them.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM

108 posts, read 101,496 times
Quote:
...I don't see any explanation of how they will handle traffic lights...

The BRTs I've seen (Alexandria & Richmond, VA & Missasauga, ON) have dedicated lanes for the buses, with their own traffic lights that give priority to an approaching bus (versus any cross traffic) to keep them moving.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:36 PM

82 posts, read 72,864 times
I live in Denver now where we have a light rail. Honestly, I would rather have a metro. However, for Charleston I think that a light rail makes more sense than buses. They're looking at short term cost, but the bus has higher cost long term. Stop half-assing it and invest in proper public transit. No more band-aid solutions. Do it right the first time.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
We need to get over the fact that we’re not actually a big city that needs public transportation. Sounds good in theory, but nobody is actually going to use this.

The planned bus route has at least 19 stops. That route currently takes about an hour by car during rush hour, 30 minutes without. Even with its own express lane and timed lights, 19 stops at 5 minutes a stop is 95 minutes in just stops alone.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 PM

108 posts, read 101,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
...19 stops at 5 minutes a stop is 95 minutes in just stops alone.

I think you need to learn more about BRT systems - frequent buses, therefore short stops (long enough for people to get off/on), then on their way. The closest thing Charleston has to this today is the Express buses, and they don't wait 5 minutes per stop unless they are well ahead of schedule.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:04 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashsc View Post
The BRTs I've seen (Alexandria & Richmond, VA & Missasauga, ON) have dedicated lanes for the buses, with their own traffic lights that give priority to an approaching bus (versus any cross traffic) to keep them moving.

I live in Richmond and see the BRT ("Pulse") buses daily and have yet to witness where they have priority at traffic lights. I know they were pitching this as a benefit at time of startup but it ain't happening yet.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:45 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:

I wonder if we can top the proposed CA line that's currently up to 120 Billion. These things typically take time to have all the special interest groups get their days in court. The longer we wait, the higher it goes. Take 526 for example...

Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
The Traffic Lights are what caused the Jams. Those Busses aren't going to get waved thru the intersections on Rivers Avenue or Morrison Drive.

I thought we here on City-Data resolved this issue a few years ago.......Water Taxi from Summerville / Mt P into Downtown Chucktown with the free Trolley Busses running across the Peninsula. With minimal cost to build (parking lots and docks), they could get plenty of cars off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area