Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:43 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Just an update on some of the construction going on in the city.

CAMC is almost finished with there very impressive Cancer Center. The facilities are world class and the architecture is a much needed boost for that corner of Kanawha City.

Construction at CAMC Memorial is well under way, as work continues on a three story addition above the surgery unit. No renderings have been made public of the final look, but it will no doubt go with the rest of the hospital and the newest part of the hospital to the south.

Park View Lofts: Finishing touches have been made to the new residential building as stylish reverse awnings have been added above the entrance and future restaurant on the bottom floor. No update on the restaurant.

New Shrewsbury Street Apartment building: Facade work has been the recent addition to the new four story apartment building. From the looks of it, there won't be anything impressive about the design, just a simply brick facade with molding at the top.

Construction at Charleston Newspaper Building: I honestly know nothing about this, but it appears that they are adding windows and an addition floor to the Charleston Newspaper Building (the annex beside the bridge). I have no idea why, but I am glad because that building needed a facelift.

Eagle View Apartments: There is alot of construction going on at Eagle View, which is the cities newest residential community. They have added dozens of new town homes, condos, apartment buildings, and a community center with pool and fitness center. The land was intended to originally be a subdivision, but now has been transformed into a small city on a hill.

Other construction updates here:https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-going-up.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 AM

82 posts, read 120,126 times
Regarding the building next to Charleston Newspapers: according to this January article, it was bought privately last summer. The new owner is apparently using the top floor for his own condo, and renovating the rest into a second leasable condo and some office space. Other than the article, it's been a pretty quiet project.

The Charleston Gazette | Boulevard building to serve home, work

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Actually now I remember this! Thanks for reminding me

Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
How about the renovation of the building across from Power Park? Is it completed?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 AM

I think the condos at ParkView (the old Kyle Furniture) are mostly finished. I've been in one and they are very nice. The last I heard, all but one or two had been sold; that was awhile ago so they may all be gone by now.

A wine bar and restaurant called Bricks & Barrels will be opening very soon on the first floor of the building.

Edit to add link to an article on the wine bar: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/a...DM06/150129322 . The article is from January and the mid-March opening date they were hoping for apparently proved overly optimistic, but from what I can tell on the Facebook page, construction is getting close to finished and they seem to be tying up details now.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
I believe in the Friday April 10th Gazette edition, the story/recap about the WV Power home opener mentioned that people were watching the game from the roof top deck at ParkView.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM

It appears that things are moving along with the former DuPont Hotel/B&B Loans on Summers Street. The roof has been repaired and an asbestos remover will be coming in soon. Bids for purchase aren't open, but they've apparently already had conversations with prospective bidders and some proposals may include residences. Article on that (and some other CURA tidbits) here:

Charleston Daily Mail | Summers Street building redevelopment moving forward

Old 04-16-2015, 04:37 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I believe in the Friday April 10th Gazette edition, the story/recap about the WV Power home opener mentioned that people were watching the game from the roof top deck at ParkView.
That was indeed happening on Saturday when I went to the game for the BrewFest (We've got some awesome brewers in WV).

Old 04-17-2015, 05:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Charleston Daily Mail | New apartment building offers options for disabled residents

Update on the completion of the Thomas Patrick Maroney Unity Apartments on Lewis Street in Charleston.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,973 times
It's good to see new housing development start to go up in that area. Now let's get general (and affordable) apartments built there and reconnect the torn areas between Summers St and the ballpark and create an active living area in that part of town. That area, maybe more than any other in town, has the potential for mixed-use residential in spades. From the intersection of Shrewsbury and Lewis, one can walk just ten minutes and reach: Capitol Market, Power Park, that shopping plaza by the APP, CAMC General, the Clay Center, just about all of the churches downtown, the post office, almost to Haddad, all of Capitol St., many employers, the Mall, St. Francis, and Park Place Cinemas. And if you want to/have to drive, you're just a few blocks from the interstate ramp. Say you want to bike? Ten minutes will get you to the Capitol in one direction and past the Five Corners on the West Side. All of that in ten minutes.

And the predominant land use in that area? Surface parking, the asphalt canvas for urban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston