Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 04:16 AM

87 posts, read 128,897 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Just curious is the crime stats that get reported about Cleveland... justified?

I mean is most of the crime reported in a concentrated area of the city or is it sporadic?

In comparison to a Philadelphia or New York City -- even though I know the population

in Cleveland is much smaller -

I know there are plenty of articles out there on this but those can be skewed -

I'd rather here from folks on the ground -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 09:27 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
your chances of being a victim of random crime in Cleveland in most of the city are very low. If you are lower middle class, especially in certain neighborhoods (mostly east side) those chances go up considerably. If you live near public housing that also will go up in most cases.

I have lived in the city of Cleveland proper for the last 4 years. One time someone went through my glove compartment and didn't take anything. That's been it for me, personally.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Lived in CLE for over 30 years and have not had any major problems. When living in apartment towers in Cleveland proper, we had both our cars broken into and the radios yanked - but that was over 30 years ago - in a congested apartment complex - in city proper. When living in the Heights (CH), I had a brand new ladder stolen, despite it being locked up to my garage. We regularly travel in the city, multiple times per week for work and play - no issues. Granted we are playing it smart, we're not out late at night in the wrong neighborhood. But we do ride transit, walk around downtown and the neighborhoods, even long walks.

Been more scared in other cities: incidents in Dallas, Chicago, NYC come to mind. Two of these were on the subway. Perhaps it was just being an out of towner and not knowing.

IMO, most of the really bad crime, i.e. murders, happens in a few neighborhoods and at night. I also believe the police are not as actively confronting crime while it occurs - their picking up the bodies in the morning, not chasing the gunfire at 2AM.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Crime is a problem in the city and not enough is being done to combat it...that said, as has been said, it's mainly in certain areas and mostly late at night. Downtown is fairly safe, as are most of the gentrified neighborhoods like Tremont or Ohio City...stay away from the bad areas and chances are very slim anything will happen to you.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:50 PM

87 posts, read 128,897 times
Thank you all for your insight -

Old 06-20-2023, 03:06 PM

Maybe we can repurpose this thread to discuss the ongoing crime happening in the city. It's bad out there, folks.

3 homicides in one day! That's bad even for Cleveland.
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/...uneteenth.html

How many is that on the year for CLE?

What exactly is being done?

The city of Cleveland fails miserably when it comes to recruiting police, we are at all time lows. Councilman Polensek wants to give academy graduates $10k, which I think is a start. https://www.police1.com/police-recru...b1bz6bhlW9yNC/

Old 06-20-2023, 09:55 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
I've had a condo downtown for a few years. I visit 3-4x per year. I always take the redline from the airport. A few weeks ago, I took it at midnight. I had my suitcase. A few others on the line, but no issues. Walked from Tower to St. Clair. As most stated, downtown seems safe. I have walked around at night and it's quite busy with people (warehouse Dist) at bars and such. When I read about the violent stuff, most is after midnight and I'm usually in bed by 9, so no worries there. It is still not a good look for CLE, for sure. I remember downtown one night, someone was racing downtown and doing donuts and all that. It was nuts and SUPER loud. There was never a police officer and I thought that was odd. It went on for over 5 min. I expected sirens, but none came. My cousin, who lives there, said they won't engage most of the time and will not chase. Maybe that is due to risk of injuring innocent people.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:19 PM

194 posts, read 189,750 times
Here's a recent article talking about local crime increasing:

https://fox8.com/news/crime-rising-c...art-to-summer/

It's likely a combination of many different factors, but a lot of mid-sized and large cities are going through the same thing.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Here's a recent article talking about local crime increasing:

https://fox8.com/news/crime-rising-c...art-to-summer/

It's likely a combination of many different factors, but a lot of mid-sized and large cities are going through the same thing.
It may be happening other places, but I think Cleveland is uniquely bad at recruiting police and thus the whole city suffers worse than it has to.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:06 AM

Mass shooting in the Warehouse District
https://fox8.com/news/i-team/9-peopl...strict-police/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: