Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 10:21 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I collected movie posters through my days working in theatres, and have them in secure storage. Recently, I decided that I might want to sell some, and was floored by the prices some online auctions have sold those of others for. I knew some might become valuable, but wow!

What is particularly surprising is that the schlock horror movie posters are commanding premium prices. I never would have thought they would be worth more than $25 on a good day.

Anyone here collect posters? If so, what types or themes have you interested and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,414 times
Default Film Poster Collecting

Hi, I run an international group on FB with over 3200 members around the world dedicated to the hobby.

Come and join us we love new members and it costs nothing.

Lots of expertise and knowledge on the site. It is called 'Original Film Poster Collectors Site'

Hope to see you there

Old 09-27-2023, 02:44 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I can vouch for Wobblydoggy. He’s legit.
I have known him personally since we met at a Las Vegas message board get together in 2001. He’s visited me & my family in Texas several times, and I & my wife visited him & his family in England.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:25 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
What a wonderful thing to have collected!

No, I only have a couple of stray posters, but there are two very food poster galleries in New York, and I love looking at their art.

This is one of them:
https://rennerts-gallery.myshopify.com/

Old 09-28-2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I can vouch for Wobblydoggy. He’s legit.
I have known him personally since we met at a Las Vegas message board get together in 2001. He’s visited me & my family in Texas several times, and I & my wife visited him & his family in England.
Yes and the poor family are going to suffer another visit from me soon, brace yourself guys.

It is a shame you cannot upload photos here, as I could have featured a few of my modest collection of some 20,000 items

Old 09-28-2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I collected movie posters through my days working in theatres, and have them in secure storage. Recently, I decided that I might want to sell some, and was floored by the prices some online auctions have sold those of others for. I knew some might become valuable, but wow!

What is particularly surprising is that the schlock horror movie posters are commanding premium prices. I never would have thought they would be worth more than $25 on a good day.

Anyone here collect posters? If so, what types or themes have you interested and why?
I might be interested in buying some when I come to Austin around Thanksgiving if you let me know some titles I could let you know if I am seeking them.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:10 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblydoggy View Post
Yes and the poor family are going to suffer another visit from me soon, brace yourself guys.

It is a shame you cannot upload photos here, as I could have featured a few of my modest collection of some 20,000 items
You CAN upload pictures, it's just a convoluted process I can never remember. I start by wandering around my profile and clicking on anything that sounds promising. Googling might be faster and less frustrating.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Cida, thank you for the link! Can't rep you again yet.

As you might imagine, I have a good overall sense of value on the posters of the time period, I just was surprised on how some had increased in value since 2008 when I last looked. There are a couple places that are the usual outlets for serious collectors:

https://www.emovieposter.com/
which has a "no-snipe" auction setup, and
Heritage - https://www.ha.com/
Both of these keep the eBay silly sellers in check. IIRC, there is a Hollywood auctioneer as well.

FWIW, and a chuckle, I just saw a FB post from someone who had read the NSS code at the bottom of a poster as a fine art etching numbering and vastly overpriced a poster. Too funny.

Wobblydoggy, since you have over 20,000, do you by any chance know where I can find a complete list of the movies rated by the MPAA? I have a large collection as well, but as you know, there are duplicates of some duds that seem to bloat every collection "Young Sherlock Holmes" anyone?

I'm only mildly interested in selling, maybe just a few if there is particular interest and the price is right, and I'm not into making up lists. I have other major projects going on.

I am interested in learning the themes of collectors who collect less for the investment and more for a particular style or artist or genre. I never thought there would be a big draw for horror, and I haven't seen martial arts show up as much as I thought it might, although my "Walking Tall" would probably go over well around here. The Chinese posters on the thin paper are kinda fun with only the title block in English.

As a side note, back when "The Color Purple" came out, I made an 8' x 8' painting of the theme art and hung it in the theatre lobby as a novelty to encourage sales. The first weekend, I had a customer come up and offer me $500 cash for it. I declined, but it was a fun experience to have my crude art valued like that. Too bad he didn't leave a calling card, as it was tossed at the end of the engagement. Never did get any interest when I had a similar size display made by an art student for "Howard the Duck."

Old 01-13-2024, 01:06 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You CAN upload pictures, it's just a convoluted process I can never remember. I start by wandering around my profile and clicking on anything that sounds promising. Googling might be faster and less frustrating.
One method is through albums. Start by creating an album in your profile here in C-D. Upload your photos (that you don't mind people copying) to your album, following directions. Start a new post. Then click on the picture icon in the menu above your post, copy the URL associated with the picture you want to post, and click "save." In all likelihood the files are going to be enormous, so if you can reduce the pictures through your own computer program before uploading them (like Photoshop), that helps a lot. Good luck!

We have movie posters going back to the 1940s, '50s, and '60s, mostly Westerns. I wish we had wall space to display them, but most of our walls are full of book cases...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques