Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 01:03 PM

81 posts, read 81,472 times

Advertisements

Hello… I’m 63 and my wife is 60. I’m nearing retirement and my wife gets disability for spinal stenosis, though she’s still active. We’re thinking about relocating to the North Colorado Springs area next year. I wanted to get a handle on what Property taxes would look like as first time home buyers. I understand Colorado’s “assessed value” calculation and rate, but I’m not sure how it would apply to the sold price of the home vs its actual value. For example, let’s say we paid $550k for a property in a normal subdivision of Northgate or Briargate. Could someone give us a ballpark figure as to what the first year taxes might be?

Also, any other tax that might be levied that we're unaware of?

Really appreciate your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 01:16 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Effective property tax rates can vary significantly literally over a span of a few feet. If you want a really more precise estimate you'll need to zero in on specific location.

Newer neighborhoods built within the last 20 years or so will likely be covered by special tax entities called Metro Districts (some folks know them as MUDs). The Metro District takes out bonds to cover infrastructure construction and spreads that repayment over homeowners in the district over a period of several years.

If you're in an older neighborhood without a Metro District, your property taxes could be 40-50% lower than a similarly-priced house in a newer neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Effective property tax rates can vary significantly literally over a span of a few feet. If you want a really more precise estimate you'll need to zero in on specific location.

Newer neighborhoods built within the last 20 years or so will likely be covered by special tax entities called Metro Districts (some folks know them as MUDs). The Metro District takes out bonds to cover infrastructure construction and spreads that repayment over homeowners in the district over a period of several years.

If you're in an older neighborhood without a Metro District, your property taxes could be 40-50% lower than a similarly-priced house in a newer neighborhood.
Good information, thanks. We're favoring older homes (pre 2005) that are well-built and have good neighborhood tree development. Single story properties with full basements are hard to find but they're out there.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:21 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Good information, thanks. We're favoring older homes (pre 2005) that are well-built and have good neighborhood tree development. Single story properties with full basements are hard to find but they're out there.
You're welcome. When you're looking at neighborhoods, you can put the street address in the county assessor's website, and that will give you a breakdown of all the tax components for the property.

El Paso County Property Search

Here's a rando property I picked.
https://property.spatialest.com/co/e...rty/6130308008

Colorado Springs First-year Property Taxes-taxinfo.jpg

Notice the last line with the huge mill levy (Triview Metropolitan). That's a Metro District. https://triviewmetro.com/

Old 07-25-2023, 05:18 PM

You picked a beautiful home! Thanks for the link. That Triview Metro District levy added a lot to the tax entity. The home is 23 yrs old and it still fell under that levy... wow! Not looking at Monument, CO but that link gives me an idea what to expect. I'll have to research recently "sold" homes in the areas we're looking at and hopefully get some info on their tax bills.

This gives me a lot to go on. Thanks again

Old 07-26-2023, 12:35 AM

278 posts, read 449,504 times
Historical info, including property taxes, is usually available on Zillow. Just pick an address, search for it on Zillow.com and then scroll down the page until you see "Price and tax history"...it's all there for just about any home in the country, whether it's listed for sale or not.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
Historical info, including property taxes, is usually available on Zillow. Just pick an address, search for it on Zillow.com and then scroll down the page until you see "Price and tax history"...it's all there for just about any home in the country, whether it's listed for sale or not.
Yes thanks, have done that. Unfortunately Zillow just has the recent tax information, not the "new sale" info which is what I'd be looking at. The home that "bluescreen" chose had a tax bill of $2918 before the sale. Now, with the upcoming new assessment, I assume they'll go up by at least a 1/3 (to $3900).

Old 07-26-2023, 10:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...fold-increase/

FYI

Old 07-26-2023, 11:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...fold-increase/

Old 07-26-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Yes! Saw that! Though I'm looking into Property taxes, it looks like Colorado is going to be hit with higher Homeowners Insurance premiums now. I'm hoping it doesn't include Car insurance, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs