Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times

Advertisements

I hope they're wrong about this.

"The software has been optional on PCs since 2020, but it's going away for good in the fall."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-killing-wordpad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 02:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Thank you! I use WordPad for the limited number of letters and notes/instructions (like for the dogsitter) which I create. I really don't do all that much typing for public consumption so don't need Word these days. I've read that LibreOffice is pretty good - and free - so I'll probably give that a shot. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
I recently discovered that Libre Office version of RTF format is not the same as the wordpad "RTF1" format. Seems compatible enough to absorb the RTF1 files, but when it writes them, it includes stuff that Wordpad cannot interpret correctly.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:17 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
A little Googling found this:

https://winaero.com/wordpad-for-windows-11/

Old 03-31-2024, 07:35 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
I'm filing this one into the drawer of "yet another example of why one shouldn't entrust proprietary formats when future access is desired".

Oop almost bumped myself swiveling my office chair past all those other filing cabinets.

But don't just take it from me. A number of institutions have realized this and go onto elaborate on why one should insist on open formats.

*sound of yelling_at_birds thumbing through voluminous documents

Duke University, for example, published this:

Quote:
These formats cannot be permanently preserved without significant additional resources from DUL and thus are not recommended for long-term preservation. Many of these formats also require proprietary software to render and preserve materials. For these preservation types, DUL can ensure bit-level preservation, but we cannot guarantee future use.
The rtf format rates almost as poorly under their "Level Two" classification.

Well, I can rest easy knowing that all of the documents that I create under Vim or LibreOffice are at no such risk of having the rug pulled out from under me, as their respective formats (hard to beat plain text ) are completely openly documented, licensed (where warranted) and widely implemented so that I am never chained to any particular editor.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I'm filing this one into the drawer of "yet another example of why one shouldn't entrust proprietary formats when future access is desired".
For someone that isn't a moron, you still seem to miss the most basic stuff: RTF may be proprietary, but it's going to be around forever. Only Microsoft's WORDPAD app is going away...not the RTF format.

It's safe to use RTF and will continue to be safe to do long after we are dead.

Quote:
(hard to beat plain text )
Yea...until you want to BOLD something...

Old 04-01-2024, 02:31 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea...until you want to BOLD something...
Attached Thumbnails
Microsoft Confirms When It's Killing Off WordPad-bold-something.jpg  

Old 04-01-2024, 02:36 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
For someone that isn't a moron, you still seem to miss the most basic stuff: RTF may be proprietary, but it's going to be around forever. Only Microsoft's WORDPAD app is going away...not the RTF format.

It's safe to use RTF and will continue to be safe to do long after we are dead.

Are there any WYSISYG editors that handle RTF like Wordpad does?
(Remember, I already mentioned Libre Office doesn't do it correctly.)

Old 04-01-2024, 11:24 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Are there any WYSISYG editors that handle RTF like Wordpad does?
(Remember, I already mentioned Libre Office doesn't do it correctly.)
I know you asked Peregrine but I just wanted to share my $0.02:

Although I haven't done any web coding in a long while, I have played with Froala and CoffeCup a bit and they are both very nice and modern WYSIWYG type HTML Editors. They have free versions but I think they require you to register using a name and email address.
If you want something more similar to Wordpad in this regard, then your best bet is Open WYSIWYG.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

You're using rich text there, not plain. Plain doesn't support bold or italics. Plain text means exactly that: no formatting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers