Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2024, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 262 times

Advertisements

I’m relocating to the Corpus Christi area and looking for some guidance on location for a home purchase. Focusing on weather a pier and beam or a slab foundation is the better option. Are there homes built in certain eras with better built foundations? What should be asking realtors and what should I be looking for to be confident in a home purchase? The advice and insight is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 09:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Advice?

Never ask a realtor technical, financial, or legal questions. (In 40+ property
transactions I've had to use a realtor (2)
miserable times, at insistence of other
party)

Go to county building and planning dept and get guidance as to soils types and
suitable construction methods. (And
preferred builders and areas).

For Corpus (any weather event location). I would get very solid technical advice, and
would ONLY buy a survivable structure.
Such as: slab on grade, block, concrete or
ICF or SIP panel, with integrated roof
panels even concrete roof (uncommon in
USA, very common elsewhere) at higher
elevation with good escape access route.

Bug proof, weatherproof, rock solid. (And cool in summer)

Jmho, ymmv

Old 02-26-2024, 01:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Unlike StealthRabbit, I have used a realtor on nearly every transaction I have ever made (many, for the record). You can sign up with a buyer's agent, who has to by law represent your best interests. However, I wouldn't count on a realtor to offer you the type of advice you are seeking - I would contact a structural engineer if necessary. He or she can do a structural inspection and offer you sound advice.

It will cost you but it will be worth the peace of mind in your case.

All inspections by the way are mandated and controlled by the state of Texas. You may need a general inspection, a pool inspection, a structural engineer's inspection, etc. Each will cost something since they will spend several hours at your property and emailing you or talking with you on the phone or both. Is this your first home purchase?

I do know that in my area, realtors have told me about various neighborhoods where the technology for slab foundations was new when it was implemented and there are better ones out there than those. And of course any foundation repair should be - SHOULD BE - on the seller's disclosure. But it would show up in a structural engineer's inspection, and maybe in a general inspection. Most people will disclose it. But maybe they don't know about it. Who knows? Anyway...thankfully foundation issues tend to be rare.

Enjoy and congrats!

Old 02-27-2024, 09:03 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unlike StealthRabbit, I have used a realtor on nearly every transaction I have ever made (many, for the record). You can sign up with a buyer's agent, who has to by law represent your best interests. However, I wouldn't count on a realtor to offer you the type of advice you are seeking - I would contact a structural engineer if necessary. He or she can do a structural inspection and offer you sound advice.

It will cost you but it will be worth the peace of mind in your case.

All inspections by the way are mandated and controlled by the state of Texas. You may need a general inspection, a pool inspection, a structural engineer's inspection, etc. Each will cost something since they will spend several hours at your property and emailing you or talking with you on the phone or both. Is this your first home purchase?

There is no mandate from the State of Texas to perform any inspections during a typical home purchase. Also the State does not "control" inspections but do control licensed Inspectors and to some degree licensed Engineers.

I do know that in my area, realtors have told me about various neighborhoods where the technology for slab foundations was new when it was implemented and there are better ones out there than those. And of course any foundation repair should be - SHOULD BE - on the seller's disclosure. But it would show up in a structural engineer's inspection, and maybe in a general inspection.

Foundation repairs will only be noted in either Professional's inspections if there are visible signs and they are obvious foundation repair actions. If there are no visible signs or the signs are not completely clear then either profession might say that foundation repairs might have occurred but would not be able to confirm that they have.

Most people will disclose it. But maybe they don't know about it. Who knows? Anyway...thankfully foundation issues tend to be rare.

Unfortunately foundation issues are not rare and are rather common around Texas. There is a very large repair industry just for this and many technical publications regarding foundations and repair. One good source for some of these publications is the Foundation Performance Association whose WEB site and publications can be found here https://foundationperformance.org/ . There are many very good publications both written for consumers as well as more technical but easily understandable located there.

Enjoy and congrats!

Comments and information above in blue.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:21 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabisabiguy View Post
I’m relocating to the Corpus Christi area and looking for some guidance on location for a home purchase. Focusing on weather a pier and beam or a slab foundation is the better option. Are there homes built in certain eras with better built foundations? What should be asking realtors and what should I be looking for to be confident in a home purchase? The advice and insight is very much appreciated.

One of the issues we have here are highly expansive soils in much of the State. Where soils are concerned these tend to have the larger amount of foundation issues related to soils. We also have areas of sandy loam type soils which have less propensity for foundation related problems. And of course we also have areas of very shallow rock formations which for the most part offer more stable piered foundations when properly built. If you would like to se what soils are under a particular area, with a good deal of granularity in detail, the USDA WEB Soil Survey site has a very helpful mapping system with other good soil information. It can be found here https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/ .

The type of foundation selection of slab or raised (pier & Beam or other) is partly technical and partly preference. You can also build a piered slab foundation which is to pre-pier the slab during build. When properly built any type of foundation is successful on any type of soil. There are however advantages to a properly designed and installed raised foundation design (pier & beam style P&B).
  • Hopefully it never happens but if movement occurs due to shifting soils they are easier to deal with leveling and plumbing repairs.
  • Since plumbing is exposed under the foundation other repairs, not related to movement, are easier to perform and reconfigure at least for first floor plumbing groups.
  • A raised foundation structure is less prone to ground water flooding since it is raised. As a result grading issues around the home can be dealt with easier as well.
  • In coastal areas that are prone to possible higher flood levels the home can initially be built well above expected flood stages thereby better protecting it.
  • If the foundation is raised high enough the under home area can actually be used for other purposes providing even more useful space.
As for your "era" question even a well designed and built foundation from any area will require some monitoring and possible maintenance for the conditions it is in to help preserve its functionality. Some of that work might have recurring costs. If this isn't being performed then it will degrade.

Check out the publications at the FPA site with the link above. They can help you better understand foundations, foundation designs, etc. That is a great asset when searching for a home or consideration for building a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of: