Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 08:20 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous, but nothing shocks me anymore these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrnZcslGT4

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...g-19385713.php

Quote:
A person caught on camera stealing mail in Sacramento got creative.

Doorbell camera footage from a local resident published by KABC-TV shows a crouched person wearing a black trash bag over their body, with only their shoes showing, hobbling toward a front porch.

The disguised person then grabs the package and shuffles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 10:54 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I really don’t get the whole stealing packages thing. They can’t have any clue what’s in there. So they risk getting shot by homeowners for what is likely to be some cheap $5 hair gel?
Most packages I get delivered to my door are random things that would be sheer trash to most: freeze dried miso, hair gel, and etc.
Maybe one out of 50 orders has something valuable like electronics, and in those cases, I try to be home during the scheduled delivery timeframe.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:41 AM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Its actually sad, but I find this video amusing in a way.

Those little feet, and the white crocs make me think this porch pirate was likely a woman.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:57 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Probably an unnecessary precaution. It sure looks like even with clear video of the porch pirates, the police won't go and arrest them.

I am also one who wonders about the value of stealing packages with unknown contents. The porch pirates are going to get a lot of stuff that doesn't have wide appeal. Maybe it is just like the fun of Christmas, opening gifts and not knowing what you will find.

I get some small stuff that is expensive, but it is small and the postman locks it in the gang box. Even though it is expensive, it probably doesn't have huge resale value. I get some really expensive medication that is not a widely used drug, so it would be hard to find anyone who needed it and would buy it from the black market and you would have to break into mailboxes for months before you hit the jackpot. Mostly mail is bulk mail advertising.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:58 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
That has to be fake. I mean, what’s the purpose? No one’s going to question a garbage bag shuffling down the sidewalk?

Old 04-07-2024, 02:24 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At least it's just packages and not actually kidnapping people.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:08 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I really don’t get the whole stealing packages thing. They can’t have any clue what’s in there. So they risk getting shot by homeowners for what is likely to be some cheap $5 hair gel?
Most packages I get delivered to my door are random things that would be sheer trash to most: freeze dried miso, hair gel, and etc.
Maybe one out of 50 orders has something valuable like electronics, and in those cases, I try to be home during the scheduled delivery timeframe.
Dude, in the places this is rampant, the worst they're risking is getting yelled at by someone. It was San Diego. In the nice parts of those areas, you aren't catching lead or even a beating.

P.s. The best part of that video would be if the homeowner came out with a bat, beat the bag until it stopped moving and then cinched it shut at the bottom and put it in their trash can.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:11 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
I think it is funny, and silly. Well all anyone can give the police are little white sandals LMAO.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:11 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude, in the places this is rampant, the worst they're risking is getting yelled at by someone. It was San Diego. In the nice parts of those areas, you aren't catching lead or even a beating.

P.s. The best part of that video would be if the homeowner came out with a bat, beat the bag until it stopped moving and then cinched it shut at the bottom and put it in their trash can.
I agree.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:03 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
even though i live in a gated area, for a few weeks in a row, my deliveries were getting stolen off the porch. i think they stopped stealing from my porch when they realized what they got was so boring: socks, a mug, chopsticks, tea bags, books. once they even put the opened box back on my porch.

when there is something of value delivered i am either home or request delivery at a location where I have to go and sign for it to pick up. I don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events