Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 06:19 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

I had the good time from 1971-1989;it was on the quiet side Bible Park was my back door,the downtown was beautiful with the ornate low rise buildings with old elevators decorated with brass and some with operators and los of marble,the beginning of the end was when they ripped all of them down.Larimer square was safe and pleasant.
I worked for Bell during this period as installer in the new buildings.
My son a former Denver policeman passed with a brain tumor now buried in Fort Logon Cemetary in 1973 started pen palling with Allen Phipps Owner of the Bronocos which lead up to us getting seats in his suite a couple of times.We saw high tops turner kick a field goal.He would come down from his box and greet us which was very nice,we are nothing more than ordinary family.
He sent us at our home in Denver a pointsetta every year thru 1989 a very gracious man,also signed AFC football,John Ralston,Charlie Johnson etc..My son would go to school with #43 Foleys Jersey and 55 Grants and kids wanted to know where he got it he kept it a secret.
I am 89 and still have his cards and hate to see them go.
His last kind act was for us to have him go to Logan St and a Denver Bronco Jacket was there which we have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 11:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I know where I was 50 - 43 years ago in Denver at this very moment (cold wintry Saturday nights in February... and every Saturday night for 7 yrs) Waiting until midnight to start Loading Out at the Denver Post delivery chutes. When it was REALLY cold, we would trek down to White Spot on E Colfax and get some Chili and hot cocoa.
Colfax Avenue: The White Spot
Denver White Spot Listed in National Register - Front Range Research Associates, Inc.

During union strikes and boycotts the pressmen would tear the rolls of newsprint and we'd wait for hours for them to get the presses rolling again. However late we left, we had our trucking route to complete, ASAP. (Definitely by daybreak!) Often I hauled the One Star version (printed earliest). I had to drive to Buffalo, WY, then east to Rapid City. Getting to Denver was the easy part of the drive, I had many hours of white-out and white knuckle driving ahead of me.
3 Star went out to Sterling, CO and North Platte, NE, as well as a different route to Cheyenne and across to Laramie.
#13 Studebaker truck did the Laramie run (The Dinosaur, 3m miles),
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...lion-miles.jpg
5 Star printing (the last) went out to destinations less than 2 hrs from Denver, Very heavy loads and huge trucks (sometimes several) to Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Ft Collins.

Don't forget those HUGE Sunday Denver Post newspapers. ~100 pages. Only (5) papers / bundle, where weekday papers were 50 papers / bundle. Sunday Circulation must have been very large, as we filled up a lot of trucks every night and sent them to NM, KS, NE, WY, SD and all over CO. What a fun job. But so 'impractical' today (internet). We also delivered Movie Films (reels) to theaters and drive-in movie theaters throughout that same region. - not the same anymore....

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-25-2023 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 87,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Was it KFML who broadcast "High Street"?

'Voice over' for daily soap operas and the late movie?

That was enjoyable (to me). My parents didn't know why I was laughing, as I had headphones on, listening to the radio, while watching the TV.

Yep, High Street was on KFML. I used to like it too. They did the late movie on Channel 2, improvised comic dialogue over the images on the screen. When Channel 2 learned that High Street was doing this, they started to mess with them, showing lots of musicals, which made it harder for them to improvise. It's hard to make up songs on the spot.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 20,024 times
About the White Spot on E Colfax.

What year do you think this picture was taken?

Was the location on E Colfax in the vicinity ot Dexter St as the cross street?

I was stationed at Lowry from 1960 to 1968 except for a year in Viet Nam.

Loved Denver and surrounding area; Colorado in general.

Lots of good memories of Denver.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Since its St. Patrick's Day...who recall's Duffy's Shamrock bar on Court Place? I recall going there in the '80s where they proudly displayed the $1 million dollar check the developers of the adjacent high rise had offered them for the property and they refused to cash.

Sadly, in 2006, rising costs and advancing age of the owners led them to finally sell to the developers. At least they made out before the financial crash.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 9,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
23 year resident, moved away in 86. Just remembering stuff, wondering if anybody else does...

Jims Burger Haven on Federal?
Brentwood shopping center
Kennedy High School and Bear Valley...'65-70
Villa Italia
Cinderela City
Cruising 16th and a cop named Snyder
The Scotchman
39th street and Peoria street racing
Allan Berg
Lakeridge Road
The Federal Center
Casa Fiesta
Craig Chevrolet in Arvada
Obviously no particular order, just pop ups in the head. Status? other memories? What's it like today? I haven't been back since a 2 hour layover in 87.
I was there for 26 years - '72 - '98. Allan Berg was my intro to talk radio. There were other greats then like Peter Boyles and Mike Rosen. It was quite a shock when he was assassinated. I was working at The Oak Alley Inn when it came over the radio.

Don't forget Pete McKay, KBPI, Nostalgic Rock. We listened to every show, every Sunday for 4 or 5 years.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:54 PM

Default Johnny Long Blues Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWakeman View Post
Anyone remember a great band called Robin Banks? I remember them at the Prairie Schooner in the mid '70s. Around that time there was a guy who played Leon Redbone style blues by himself. Darn, can't remember his name but he was great!
It was the Johnny Long Blues Band.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude fawley View Post
Was it Johnny Long?
Yup, that is who I was thinking of. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2023, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,926 times
Last year Lakewoodgirl posted a memory about the Tropics nightclub on Morrison Road, and it brought back memories for me. I lived on Vrain St. in the 50s and 60s, which was right around the corner from the Tropics. To this day I can still picture the dancing hula girl that they had on their marquee, her hips would move back and forth , making her skirt move also. I went to Belmont Elementary a little further down Morrison Road and then Kepner Junior High.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,970 times
Question Denver Coliseum concert: Golden Earring & Cat Stevens

Anyone remember a concert in the Denver Coliseum in the early ‘70s with Golden Earring and Cat Stevens? I can’t seem to find it in any of the concert ticket sites, but I was there. I’m looking for the date of that concert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver