Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 06:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

Anyone manage this mostly on their own?

I work a lot and barely have time for doctor appointments.

I also live in a region with a lack of doctors so getting an appointment in the first place can be tough.

Any comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 06:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
It is all about food intake. You need to count carbs. I personally need to keep mine around 50 a day to keep my numbers good.

Google low carb foods and stick to them. Avoid any soda, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, alcohol, and all junk food. The new diet will suck but after a few months you will get used to it. For me it is better than being on prescription drugs.

I am WAY past pre diabetes but with just food and exercise I have got down to pre diabetes numbers.

If you can get a Continuous Glucose Moniter I highly recommend it.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:00 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
I have been prediabetic for many years. I control it by maintaining my weight below a certain level. I try and reduce my carbs and this helps reduce weight also.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:57 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
OP......I thought I was pre-diabetes too......doctor did A1C on me and it came back 5.3. My last doctor did not do the complete blood work.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:06 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
My A1C levels were climbing too high [I don't recall the numbers, so don't ask]. My doctor had me getting tested quarterly and began talking about what meds to put me on. I did a deep dive into studying carbs and fiber [what a freaking nightmare].

I gave up wheat, potatoes, and rice. At first, that was difficult. But after a month it seemed to be much easier.

My A1C level came down. My doctor now thinks that my previous high blood tests were just 'wild points', she does not think that any patient can truly alter their A1C through diet alone. Apparently she tells lots of patients to change their diet, but none of them will actually do it.

Now a year later it is no longer a concern [and I am still avoiding potatoes, wheat, and rice].

The biggest concern I have now is whether it is safe to reintroduce those foods into my diet. And if so, how much per day?

Old 03-17-2023, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I tired to cut down on carbs and sugars, and remained "Pre" for years. Eventually at age 68 my A1C got up to 7.1 and my doctor put me on medication (Metformin). Still watching my diet I am remaining steady at 6.7 since then. I only have to see him for an A1C blood test and foot checks for neuropathy. Because I enjoy pasta and potatoes, I do still have them but only maybe once a week.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:34 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My A1C levels were climbing too high [I don't recall the numbers, so don't ask]. My doctor had me getting tested quarterly and began talking about what meds to put me on. I did a deep dive into studying carbs and fiber [what a freaking nightmare].

I gave up wheat, potatoes, and rice. At first, that was difficult. But after a month it seemed to be much easier.

My A1C level came down. My doctor now thinks that my previous high blood tests were just 'wild points', she does not think that any patient can truly alter their A1C through diet alone. Apparently she tells lots of patients to change their diet, but none of them will actually do it.

Now a year later it is no longer a concern [and I am still avoiding potatoes, wheat, and rice].

The biggest concern I have now is whether it is safe to reintroduce those foods into my diet. And if so, how much per day?
I know in my case she is 100% wrong. I was one of those that kinda changed my diet but not drastically and it only kinda helped. Because I didn't take it seriously my A1c numbers bounced around like a rubber ball. I have no idea of my first number because I was in a bad mental place because my levels were so high. My first check up 3 months later I remember being down to a 10.6 and that was a great improvement.

Now by diet alone I hit a 6.1 last week after being completely med free for a little over 2 months. I give almost all the credit to getting a CGM. When you can see in real time exactly what each type of food does to your BG level it is a wake up call or at least was for me.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Anyone manage this mostly on their own?

I work a lot and barely have time for doctor appointments.

I also live in a region with a lack of doctors so getting an appointment in the first place can be tough.

Any comments welcome.
Try diet modification, drastically reduce carbohydrates and reduce all wheat consumption. Go for single ingredient foods, lean meats, fruits, veg, water, and probiotics. Your pre-diabetes will reverse.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I've been trying to avoid foods that have added sugar but sometimes it's a tough thing to do....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Let's be kind and call your doc "inexperienced" rather than "ignorant."

To those who have been labeled as "pre-diabetic" because your BS &/or HbA1c has drifited up into borderline/mildly elevated ranges-- you ARE diabeitc. You have the genotype(s) that will allow you to develop the phenotype of diabetes (prone to complications of DM) if you don't treat it properly...

What's the proper treatment?... First, and often the only thing needed is calorie, particularly calories from carbs, restriction-- Don't get fat. (The "skinny diaboetic" is a problem to deal with, and will more often also require meds.)

Increased physical activity also helps-- your muscles don't need insulin to use sugar properly.

In regards adding carbs back in-- you have to tell us how much. Trial and error. Experiment and keep track of your BS.

Also-- don't obsess over hour to hour, day to day changes in BS. High BS causes complications over the course of decades, not minutes or hours. The HbA1c is a "three month average" and that's the best we have and good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes