Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 08:16 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

It sounds counter intuitive, but if I eat diet type foods (which I dislike and don't fill me up) I end up going on a binge for other foods and gain weight. This was a big day for college football and I knew I'd be pretty much glued to the laptop streaming the games, so this was today's diet:

breakfast: 1/2 red grapefruit........................................ ............ 50 calories
2 coffees w/ some sugar, sweet n low and a splash of half and half 60
3 salt and vinegar potato chips, because sometimes I crave salt.....30
1/4 small hass avocado w/ balsamic vinegar.................................60

snack of 2 small spoons of P&B w/ a few honey nut cheerios...........80
small piece of dark chocolate......................................... .............30

lunch: broccoli stir fry w/ chkn, onion, jalapeno, fresh apple, fresh
pineapple, & some pistachios w/ Palmini heart of palm pasta............80
1 York chocolate peppermint patty............................................. ...50

mid day snack: half can of Progresso Zesty Santa Fe Chkn Soup.......80
small piece of baked chicken w/ hot sauce.....................................40
small piece of dark chocolate......................................... ..............30
1 York chocolate peppermint patty............................................. ...50
smaller snack of P&B w/ a few honey nut cheerios..........................60
small serving of potato salad (about 2 medium spoonfuls)...............40

dinner: fillet of Whiting fish, pan fried in a little bit of olive oil..........120
horseradish sauce dip w/ pico de gallo on the side............................50
small serving of butter beans w/ hot sauce......................................60

before bed: 1 shot of Evan Williams Bourbon w/ water........................70
late nite sweets............................................ ................................50
3/4 small banana............................................ ..............................60

Total calories for the day: .................................................. .........1120

Obviously I could have cut back a lot on the sweets, but I feel VERY full here at 9 PM before bed, and the only unhealthy things in today's food was the sweets, which were not that much. The other option is to stay busy physically and mentally because that dampens down the appetite. But this was football day, so that didn't happen. This is sorta the same basic diet I've been on for about 10-12 days and have lost 8 lbs, so just 8 more to go. The hard part will be figuring out what to eat to keep it off.

Last edited by stephenMM; 12-02-2023 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 03:51 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It sounds counter intuitive, but if I eat diet type foods (which I dislike and don't fill me up) I end up going on a binge for other foods and gain weight. This was a big day for college football and I knew I'd be pretty much glued to the laptop streaming the games, so this was today's diet:

breakfast: 1/2 red grapefruit........................................ ............ 50 calories
2 coffees w/ some sugar, sweet n low and a splash of half and half 60
3 salt and vinegar potato chips, because sometimes I crave salt.....30
1/4 small hass avocado w/ balsamic vinegar.................................60

snack of 2 small spoons of P&B w/ a few honey nut cheerios...........80
small piece of dark chocolate......................................... .............30

lunch: broccoli stir fry w/ chkn, onion, jalapeno, fresh apple, fresh
pineapple, & some pistachios w/ Palmini heart of palm pasta............80

mid day snack: half can of Progresso Zesty Santa Fe Chkn Soup.......80
small piece of baked chicken w/ hot sauce.....................................40
small piece of dark chocolate......................................... ..............30
smaller snack of P&B w/ a few honey nut cheerios..........................60
small serving of potato salad (about 2 medium spoonfuls)...............40

dinner: fillet of Whiting fish, pan fried in a little bit of olive oil..........120
horseradish sauce dip w/ pico de gallo on the side............................50
small serving of butter beans w/ hot sauce......................................60

before bed: 1 shot of Evan Williams Bourbon w/ water........................70
late nite sweets............................................ ................................50
3/4 small banana............................................ ..............................60

Total calories for the day: .................................................. .........1120

Obviously I could have cut back a lot on the sweets, but I feel VERY full here at 9 PM before bed, and the only unhealthy things in today's food was the sweets, which were not that much. The other option is to stay busy physically and mentally because that dampens down the appetite. But this was football day, so that didn't happen. This is sorta the same basic diet I've been on for about 10-12 days and have lost 8 lbs, so just 8 more to go. The hard part will be figuring out what to eat to keep it off.
My only suggestion is to make sure each meal has at least 20g of protein. Most adults need somewhere between 100 to 200g of protein every day, and since your body has no protein stores (except skeletal-muscle tissue) it makes sense to spread this protein throughout the day.

So, great sources of protein is greek yogurt or skyr. I buy a brand (stiggis) which for 120 calories for 3/4 a cup has nearly 20g of protein. I eat that for breakfast, with some fruit.

Protein drinks, like whey protein or whey protein bars can be great snacks, when pressed on time.

Otherwise, good strategy overall. The key is to fill yourself with low calorie foods to reduce your daily calorie consumption but also for it to be sustainable. You don't want to feel like you need to gnaw your arm off to survive your diet, that won't work in the long run.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:16 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
A very low-calorie diet that is mainly composed of less than stellar-quality food, I think I will pass.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:27 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A very low-calorie diet that is mainly composed of less than stellar-quality food, I think I will pass.
And all of those fussy measurements just seem like the express train to eating disorder central. With that kind of diet rules, how do you handle a holiday party or a restaurant meal or a vacation? It's just not sustainable (for most people--if the OP is happy measuring out individual chips and a tablespoon of potato salad at a time, godspeed.)

Old 12-04-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And all of those fussy measurements just seem like the express train to eating disorder central. With that kind of diet rules, how do you handle a holiday party or a restaurant meal or a vacation? It's just not sustainable (for most people--if the OP is happy measuring out individual chips and a tablespoon of potato salad at a time, godspeed.)
No need to particularly handle a holiday party, restaurant meal (if it's infrequent), or vacation. A few days here and there won't make a dent in things. It's how you eat over an entire year that counts.

But this is how I handle vacations, which can be 1-2 or more weeks. I fill my plate with fruit, drink plenty of water and coffee, and if I go for seconds, I fill with fruit + meat. That way, I can intuitively eat without taking in too many calories. I eat like this on business trips as well.

Now, if you have no problems with weight, you're gold. If you can lose weight through some common sense eliminations, you're gold. But most people cannot. Intuitively eating is a skill some need to hone. Measuring your food via a scale can ground people into just how many calories they're eating. Most would be surprised. After a few months (or few years for slow learners) of this, you then can eyeball things and don't need a scale.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I would say depending on his age, height, and activity level, it's a normal diet. Very few people need 2,000 calories. I think that trips up a lot of people. If you're elderly, not very mobile, and have a small frame, even 1,200 calories is too much for you. Your maintenance could be as low as 700.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:16 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
No need to particularly handle a holiday party, restaurant meal (if it's infrequent), or vacation. A few days here and there won't make a dent in things. It's how you eat over an entire year that counts.

But this is how I handle vacations, which can be 1-2 or more weeks. I fill my plate with fruit, drink plenty of water and coffee, and if I go for seconds, I fill with fruit + meat. That way, I can intuitively eat without taking in too many calories. I eat like this on business trips as well.
You know that, and I know that, but there are people who get on these regimented diets, like perhaps the OP, who panic when they "lose control" and get off plan and eat more than three chips. Some people bring a food scale on vacation or meal prepped food to a wedding because they're so paranoid about eating outside of the regimented diet they live with. That's not a healthy relationship with food and eating that's sustainable for a lifetime. Certainly some people have lifelong dietary restrictions they need to follow, but that's different than a healthy diet for the average person. For some people, weighing food or counting calories is a helpful tool, and for others it triggers obsessive compulsive thoughts and actions. Mental health is health, so it's important for everyone to engage in behaviors around food that make their lives better and healthier, not full of isolation and guilt and restriction.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I think measuring foods can be helpful if you're trying to hit certain goals, whether it's calories or specific nutrients and vitamins. But once you have a handle on what works for your specific body and health goals, you don't need to measure all the time.

I've used the cronometer app and I really think it had better information than any others. You or your doctor can enter specific goals. In fact, my doctor just upped my protein goals again this morning.

The OP's eating plan wouldn't work for me. I do better choosing nutritionally dense foods and avoiding the ones that are just empty calories. But that's me.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
.. The hard part will be figuring out what to eat to keep it off.
If you really love those foods, how about more of the same?

Waikiki Waves-200 grams of protein per day for some people-really? That's a huge amount.
IMO, the need for protein is overstated. Lower protein intake is associated with promoting brain health.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
If you really love those foods, how about more of the same?

Waikiki Waves-200 grams of protein per day for some people-really? That's a huge amount.
IMO, the need for protein is overstated. Lower protein intake is associated with promoting brain health.
0.5g - 1g per lb. If you're cutting calories or older, you need more. So for a 200lb individual, they need 200g for optimal skeletal-muscular health spread over 3-5 meals.

You of course want to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats and some carbs. 200g of protein = 800 calories, so you will have plenty of other calories left over to partition your healthy fats and carbs into.

I personally eat between 250-300g of protein a day, spread over 5 meals. I'm 225lbs, 6'4". I almost certainly don't need that much protein, but I do it to maintain muscle, and also keeps me full. And during my days of weight lifting/body building, I got used to that much protein. I'm not sure in what way it's bad for your brain health? Just make sure to get enough healthy fats, as that's good for brain health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss