Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 AM

10 posts, read 41,314 times

Advertisements

My ancestors all came from the island and i feel i should go back, the United States is actually nothing of what you hear, im sick of it. Im sick of the lies, the dirty politics, and being a coporate asset to the U.S, and getting F****** around by the Police (State) here. Ireland sounds like a dream compared to what is here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,387 times
You'll need an umbrella!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM

869 posts, read 2,954,088 times
Did I miss a press release? Ireland is part of the UK again?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
As an ex pat of Ireland, I moved to the usa when I was 20. I love going home, but would I live there again ; no way.

Go and visit first. Have a good holiday but its hard to live there.

d

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
Sounds like you need to go take a look at the country yourself. It is a lovely country. What do you want us to do for you? You sound very young. Do you have at least dual citizenship? It doesn't really matter where your ancestors came from. You were born here, you are an American, and thus you'll be coming in as an outsider. I don't know about Ireland, specifically, but it's very difficult to get work in Europe. They have all the competent people they need and if they don't, there are cheaper places from which to pull.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
You won't be able to work there until you can get a visa. Can't imagine what makes you think that life will be any better across the pond. Utopia is a state of mind not a geographical location. Cheers!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Ireland - Immigration Services - Citizenship

Citizenship for Ireland

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship. That right was enshrined in the 1956 Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act. Since December 1999, under Articles 2 and 3 of the Irish Constitution, that entitlement has been a Constitutional one and may only be removed by a Constitutional referendum.

A person whose father or mother was an Irish citizen at the time of his or her birth is also an Irish citizen from birth. A person whose grandparent was born in Ireland may become an Irish citizen by registering in the Foreign Births Register at an Irish embassy or consular office, or at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin.

A person whose great-grandparent was born in Ireland may register for Irish citizenship, provided that the applicant's parent had registered in the Foreign Births Register before the person's birth.

..... Depending how far back your family left Ireland you may be eligible for citizenship.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,736 times
Sure, come on over. Welcome to the most expensive f*****g country you'll ever see. And the f*****g wettest. And you'll need to learn to say f******g a lot, by the way. (seriously!!)

It's not easy being an immigrant in Ireland; but if you really love the place and want to give it a go, phone your nearest Irish embassy or consulate (or visit them online) to ask what you'll need to do to immigrate legally. It will help if you've got a profession, or finances to support yourself: you have to prove you can support yourself before registering as a resident, I think (things might have changed, so best ask.)

Housing prices here are ridiculous, jobs are getting scarce, and the economy's trying its best to collapse, just like the rest of the world these days. So check and double-check before you make the jump.

Personally, I think it IS a perfectly wonderful place to live! Except the cold and wet and expense, but it IS a perfectly wonderful place to live, really.

Oh, and...you have the Gaelic, right?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
They usually go back to Grandparents. After that it gets sticky. Dont forget, you need the Irish birth certificate from the parent/grandparent that was born in Ireland. it is the long form and if it was after 1921, it will be in gaelic.

To live and work there ; it is a different kettle of fish. I really strongly advise visiting there for an extended time before moving. Too many people I know went home only to return to the USA again.

d

Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 AM

186 posts, read 794,350 times
And you would be contributing exactly what to Ireland that would make their government leap to welcome you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe