Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2024, 11:28 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/4lvIGwnvs48?si=u4R2BKyuTaf0RfKd

Short video 11 minutes and it has 17 short questions related to art career.

I am just hobby painter, lady 64, was curious and my score is 65.

The CAI youtube channel asked if people would post their score in comments.
I think maybe here some might do the quiz hence I post it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 01:32 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Scores will be from 17x1=17 up to 17×6=112 .....

Old 04-10-2024, 06:51 PM

968 posts, read 517,163 times
I don't think the words "art" and "career" should ever be put in the same sentence. Art doesn't work that way. Van Gough couldn't give any of his paintings away, so does that mean his career was a flop? Andy Warhol couldn't get anyone w/ a gallery to show his paintings of soup cans. There are plenty of hacks already making a "career" from what they refer to as their art.

Take it from someone who has worked as an artist for nearly 3/4 of a century: A successful artist is someone who can make great paintings/drawings/prints, etc. "Great" meaning by their measure, not by anyone else's, and all of us feel that our work is probably going to be called crap by someone else anyway. There is no other measure for success than satisfying yourself, and there is always a LOT of room for improvement.

A career is working in a bank.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't think the words "art" and "career" should ever be put in the same sentence. Art doesn't work that way. Van Gough couldn't give any of his paintings away, so does that mean his career was a flop? Andy Warhol couldn't get anyone w/ a gallery to show his paintings of soup cans. There are plenty of hacks already making a "career" from what they refer to as their art.

Take it from someone who has worked as an artist for nearly 3/4 of a century: A successful artist is someone who can make great paintings/drawings/prints, etc. "Great" meaning by their measure, not by anyone else's, and all of us feel that our work is probably going to be called crap by someone else anyway. There is no other measure for success than satisfying yourself, and there is always a LOT of room for improvement.

A career is working in a bank.
I wouldn't go quite that far, as I do know a few career artists from when I had a sign/graphics business for 16 years. At that time I hired students from the local art institute (closed up in 2017). Their careers are not painting, however. One now does amazing paintings that are sometimes exhibited in Seattle coffee houses, but her career is doing artwork for print and media advertising. Another is doing artwork for a big shirt screen printing company, and a 3rd does computer animation. The rest have all gotten jobs that are not related to art. Where I work now the company has an art manager who is getting about $100k to handle the artwork in our public buildings. I would consider that an art career.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:27 AM

23,449 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far, as I do know a few career artists from when I had a sign/graphics business for 16 years. At that time I hired students from the local art institute (closed up in 2017). Their careers are not painting, however. One now does amazing paintings that are sometimes exhibited in Seattle coffee houses, but her career is doing artwork for print and media advertising. Another is doing artwork for a big shirt screen printing company, and a 3rd does computer animation. The rest have all gotten jobs that are not related to art. Where I work now the company has an art manager who is getting about $100k to handle the artwork in our public buildings. I would consider that an art career.
My L. A.-based daughter's career path (after graduation from Savannah College of Art and Design in 2011) MOL follows the arc of the individuals that you describe. She has taken the idea of Art as a vocation quite seriously since she was in high school.

Emergence of IT and related industries has resulted in a proliferation of 'career artists', and my take on this (and I speak as a retired professor of Art History) is that art schools have generally adapted quickly to this development over the last 25 years. The 'business end' of Art has been incorporated into their curricula; In my daughter's case, she was required to develop and maintain a professional portfolio over the four years of matriculation. The portfolio was critiqued weekly not only by faculty but by local business leaders (animators, gamers, graphic designers et al), who were only too happy to come in and shop for new talent.

And so, my daughter walked away from SCAD with not only a diploma but an invaluable asset with which to spark her art career.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Nery52

Thanks for this very interesting video.
I am a serious abstract painter who spent my career as a professional photographer because I could make enough money to survive
My score was 53 to 56 and I knew what my negatives were before this video, still interesting to see all the factors
I am over 65 (big negative) and live nowhere near an art metropolis with access to building many contacts
Had a solo show in 2019

Right now my work is a very prestigious group show, very big awards which always means that the best artists submit their work

Young artists should read this book and learn how important many factors beyond "talent" are important to an artist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts