Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 09:22 AM

12,804 posts, read 15,086,026 times

Advertisements

OK, it's just about that time of the year when the season finales of shows are happening this week or so (wk of May 12th or 19th), right?

I assume the moment you watch the last ep of your show(s) is when you cancel your streaming service, until the premieres start up again. Now, there are a couple shows that seem to START around this time though, so I guess you binge-watch those when you sign up again. Any other different strategies?

I know you can start/stop whenever you want, but was it at least 90 days when you have to stay cancelled to sign up again at any kind of promo price?

Any other tips/comments please? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 09:36 AM

5,513 posts, read 6,365,264 times
I don’t have any streaming services, and don’t watch much tv. Learn to love reading, it’s much more educational and a lot cheaper.

Old 05-18-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I don’t have any streaming services, and don’t watch much tv. Learn to love reading, it’s much more educational and a lot cheaper.

Actually I do go to the bookstore on a regular basis (2-3x/mo) where I stay there for about an hour to relax & browse through magazines, making notes on what I come across in the material, etc., so that's enough reading for me. But I think I'm a little too impatient for reading actual novels/thick books. I've read some novels in the past & it's OK. PLUS, being a teacher in the past & the schooling I've had, I'm burned out from reading/studying/textbooks, etc. (I have to clear out my entire apt right now because they're going to renovate & I'm throwing out all my old books & it feels GOOD!)

Otherwise, TV-watching's pretty much my only simple pleasaure/way to relax. I don't...

go to the movies anymore...haven't since pre-COVID
haven't gone to museum in ages
buy fancy coffees...don't even drink coffee (or alcohol either)
don't go to bars/clubs/lounges/comedy clubs
have a pet anymore
have any kids
very, very, very rarely buy clothes/shoes, etc.
take vacations...haven't in a long, long time

Old 05-18-2024, 05:11 PM

8,296 posts, read 8,706,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Actually I do go to the bookstore on a regular basis (2-3x/mo) where I stay there for about an hour to relax & browse through magazines, making notes on what I come across in the material, etc., so that's enough reading for me. But I think I'm a little too impatient for reading actual novels/thick books. I've read some novels in the past & it's OK. PLUS, being a teacher in the past & the schooling I've had, I'm burned out from reading/studying/textbooks, etc. (I have to clear out my entire apt right now because they're going to renovate & I'm throwing out all my old books & it feels GOOD!)

Otherwise, TV-watching's pretty much my only simple pleasaure/way to relax. I don't...

go to the movies anymore...haven't since pre-COVID
haven't gone to museum in ages
buy fancy coffees...don't even drink coffee (or alcohol either)
don't go to bars/clubs/lounges/comedy clubs
have a pet anymore
have any kids
very, very, very rarely buy clothes/shoes, etc.
take vacations...haven't in a long, long time
You look through their magazines but don't buy any? That's cheap not frugal.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:15 AM

1,612 posts, read 882,408 times
From 2013 to 2019 I lived in a place with an outdoor antenna. We were able to get all the major networks, plus 4 channels of PBS and some others like Me TV, LAFF, and GRIT as subchannels. I bought a DVD/DVR machine with a built in digital tuner and used it to time shift network content.

In addition to that we'd rotate through the streamers using gift cards. That way we'd have a known cut off date and there was no chance our credit card would be charged again if we weren't paying attention. It also allowed content to build while we were on another platform. Spent about $100 total a year on TV, plus about $50 a month for internet access.

We then bought a house in a neighborhood that doesn't allow antennas so I've been stuck with a cable bill ever since.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:17 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It borders on theft. Using an object that the store keeper has to sell and putting a bit of wear on it and not paying.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I buy mags & a couple of books sometimes. I'll get $50-75 worth sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It borders on theft. Using an object that the store keeper has to sell and putting a bit of wear on it and not paying.

Tell that to the thousands of people nationwide who browse through the mags & books in bookstores per day. Sometimes they buy, sometimes they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
From 2013 to 2019 I lived in a place with an outdoor antenna. We were able to get all the major networks, plus 4 channels of PBS and some others like Me TV, LAFF, and GRIT as subchannels. I bought a DVD/DVR machine with a built in digital tuner and used it to time shift network content.

In addition to that we'd rotate through the streamers using gift cards. That way we'd have a known cut off date and there was no chance our credit card would be charged again if we weren't paying attention. It also allowed content to build while we were on another platform. Spent about $100 total a year on TV, plus about $50 a month for internet access.

We then bought a house in a neighborhood that doesn't allow antennas so I've been stuck with a cable bill ever since.

I see. I'm in an apt complex & bought an antenna once, but something didn't work right.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:26 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
There are several streaming services that are included with my cell phone service. Five of them, I think. I can use them or not and it makes no difference in the price of the phone. My son and I share a cell phone plan, so there is some savings there. I need a good reliable phone for work and he needs a super reliable phone for his work, so some of the discount cell phone services do not work. We have the least expensive cell service that works as we need it to work.

Have to have internet for the streaming to work, but I must have good reliable internet for work, so no savings available there.

My son uses Amazon prime and the streaming service is included with that. Watch the TV or not, it doesn't change the price of the Amazon Prime.

So, we get a lot of streaming but not paying additional for any of it. Cell phone and internet are pretty pricey, but must have that, whether it comes with streaming services or not.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:27 AM

37,742 posts, read 46,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post

My antenna is in my attic. It works great. I've had it up there since 2009.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:54 AM

11,124 posts, read 6,713,349 times
There's some free streamers out there. Cinema is one that we use, though it's sometimes a PIA to wade through to get a decent streamer. No ads. Lots of stuff way back to the 20s. We saw "Top Gun Maverick" on it before it was in the theater, weirdly. Saw Barbie, Oppenheimer, etc.

Netflix is just $14 a month. So that's all we pay total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living