Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 08:40 PM

268 posts, read 56,748 times

Advertisements

In my city we have natural gas. We use it for cooking, oven, anafe,water heaters, heater devices during the winter, and it costs about $2,000 Ar a month.
But in the cabin we have on the mountains, we have only bottling gas and it costs $10,000 Ar a month. that's 5 times more expensive.
We also use gas for vehicles. They don't come that way from the factory, but you have to put the appropriate gas pipe on them. It's convenient, because gas is quite a bit cheaper than petrol/gasoline.
But I have been in the south of Brazil, and gas is very scarce there. Electricity is mainly used there. It is used for cooking, heating water, etc.
That is the reason for my question. So...What energy is used in your state/region for those same devices?

Last edited by Luis Antonio; 03-20-2024 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 10:43 PM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
My household uses natural gas. All of our vehicles run on gasoline.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Electricity, natural gas, gasoline, diesel fuel. Fuel oil and propane for heating are much less common, generally used only where natural gas is not available. While my house is all electric, most homes are heated by natural gas. A few people heat their homes with firewood, at least until they manage to burn their homes down. Heating by burning corn (seeds) was a thing at one time, but I think the price of corn has risen to where that is no longer cost effective.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:28 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
But I have been in the south of Brazil, and gas is very scarce there. Electricity is mainly used there. It is used for cooking, heating water, etc.
What is generating the electricity - coal, hydro, natural gas, etc ?

Old 03-21-2024, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have natural gas for the furnace, water heater, and stove. Our electricity comes from multiple sources. They include: 46% Hydro, solar and wind, the rest from 36% coal and 20% natural gas.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:06 PM

268 posts, read 56,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A few people heat their homes with firewood, at least until they manage to burn their homes down.
Sure, a lot of people use firewood, especially in the countryside where it's easy and cheap to get. Fortunately, most manage to keep their home free of burn.
In the countryside, however, bottling gas is also used. Here they are called "garrafas y tubos". I'm not sure what they're called in English. That's why I show you the photos to make it clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
All of our vehicles run on gasoline.
That's something I'd like to know.If you know/ever use this type of vehicle. Neither in the USA nor in Europe have I seen gas-powered vehicles, while here there are more and more. By the way, in line with that, there are more and more gas(gasoline) stations that sell gas. From the precautions that they are taken, I deduce that full them are quite dangerous, although it is very rare to hear of a car exploding. There were some cases though.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:21 PM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
Quote:
Sure, a lot of people use firewood, especially in the countryside where it's easy and cheap to get. Fortunately, most manage to keep their home free of burn.
In the countryside, however, bottling gas is also used. Here they are called "garrafas y tubos". I'm not sure what they're called in English. That's why I show you the photos to make it clearer.

That's something I'd like to know.If you know/ever use this type of vehicle. Neither in the USA nor in Europe have I seen gas-powered vehicles, while here there are more and more. By the way, in line with that, there are more and more gas(gasoline) stations that sell gas. From the precautions that they are taken, I deduce that full them are quite dangerous, although it is very rare to hear of a car exploding. There were some cases though.
Well we have a pickup, a SUV and a sedan that are gasoline-powered. Most vehicles where I live are powered by gasoline. There are lots of diesel vehicles where I live. I would like to have a diesel someday. One of the reasons why I like vehicles powered by diesel is because its a safer fuel than gasoline.However I did see a EV pickup yesterday.I see so many gasoline vehicles every time I am on the road in America.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
What is generating the electricity - coal, hydro, natural gas, etc ?
Brazil generates nearly all of the nation's electric grid power from hydroelectric power plants - big dams on very large rivers. The biggest is Itaipu dam power plant @ 14,000 MW near Foz do Iguacu on the Parana River, on the border with Paraguay. It is the third largest power plant in the world. Brazil has very little domestic natural gas supply - much of what they consume in natural gas is imported by pipeline from eastern Bolivia. Cars in Brazil run on a mix of 75 % gasoline and 25% sugar cane ethanol (compared to 10% corn-based ethanol in the USA). Nearly all cars sold are flex fuel, and can run on 100% sugar cane ethanol (E100) too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Brazil

Old 03-21-2024, 06:32 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I am using electricity only here in Tennessee. The electricity is produced by hydro, Nuclear, and coal plants. I pay an average of 100 USD per month. (single person household, small house)

Old 03-21-2024, 06:46 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
I've got about five acres of wood on my property (hardwood) but I choose not to heat my home with it. I just don't like the smell at all plus the danger of chimney fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living