Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 02:58 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

I was texting with a cousin of mine yesterday and she had asked me had I ever heard about her grandfather murdering two people and then committing suicide. I was shocked. I had not heard that. Her father had told her this when she was a grown woman.

My cousin's grandmother and my great grandmother were sisters. Sarah McGhee and Elizabeth Mcghee. Sarah McGhee married a man named Samuel Fields. He worked for the Oklahoma State Prison. Sarah and Sam had two children, Elizabeth and Albert. Sarah died at a young age and consequently, her children were young when she died.

At some point Samuel brought an ex con that he knew into the home to help him with the kids. At another point in time, when Elizabeth (my cousin's mother) was in college, he met a woman who eventually moved in with Samuel. One day Samuel catches the woman and the ex con together. He kills them both and then slits his own throat.

So, ok that's the back story.

My cousin who I'm in touch with, the daughter of Elizabeth, was told by her dad that "Uncle Ambrose" kicked Elizabeth and her brother Albert out of the state and kicked out of the family because of the scandal/potential scandal. "Uncle Ambrose" was Ambrose Fields, and he was in public office or running for public office.

Elizabeth went to California and Albert joined the military.

My cousin has never been able to find information on any of this. Her mother, Elizabeth never NEVER talked about her childhood. My cousin describes her as "somewhat cold and aloof. She never showed me physical affection. For many years she drank too much." My cousin says her dad was her rock.

Sooo she (and I) would like more information. It seems like the likely place to start is with Ambrose Fields. Was there an Ambrose Fields in public office in Oklahoma? Was Ambrose a sibling of Samuel or a sibling of Samuels dad? By the way Samuels father's name was George Washington Fields

I tried researching yesterday but practically made myself cross eyed over it. Anyone got anything to offer? Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:45 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
If the story was true, wouldn’t there have been newspaper articles about it at the time? Have you searched for those?

There is a new feature coming to Ancestry involving newspaper stories. I don’t think it’s fully operational yet, but some of it is on the U.S. site (no such page exists at all on Ancestry Canada yet).

Quote:
Find newsworthy stories about everyday people. Simply select a state or life event to explore billions of localized records.
https://www.ancestry.com/c/newspapers (I’m not sure how much you can read without a newspapers.com subscription.)

From what I heard from a Rootsweb video, many of the newspaper stories will never show up as hints on trees. There are simply too many stories to make this practical.

If you can’t find anything now when you do a search, I suggest trying again in a few months.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:27 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
OP doesn't show a date for the events. In some areas there would be a coroner's report if this was a situation in the 1900s. I have one from 1894 for my great-grandmother just because she died unattended at home. There was possibly a death certificate or a record on file.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
OP doesn't show a date for the events. In some areas there would be a coroner's report if this was a situation in the 1900s. I have one from 1894 for my great-grandmother just because she died unattended at home. There was possibly a death certificate or a record on file.

Ok...found some information. Samuel died in 1934.

Last edited by SnazzyB; 03-13-2024 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2024, 02:02 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Searched newspapers.com in Oklahoma, years 1930-1940. Only one mention of a Samuel Fields, who was the son of Grover Fields, in a 1934 wedding announcement marrying an Elizabeth Bonner in Guymon. Several mentions of an Elizabeth House McGhee, identified as a negress who was convicted of the murder of a Govan Bradley in 1936 in Wewoka (who also attempted to kill herself in court when sentenced). No mentions of a Sarah McGhee or an Ambrose Fields.

None of these sound like your folks, which makes me question the info you have gotten.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Searched newspapers.com in Oklahoma, years 1930-1940. Only one mention of a Samuel Fields, who was the son of Grover Fields, in a 1934 wedding announcement marrying an Elizabeth Bonner in Guymon. Several mentions of an Elizabeth House McGhee, identified as a negress who was convicted of the murder of a Govan Bradley in 1936 in Wewoka (who also attempted to kill herself in court when sentenced). No mentions of a Sarah McGhee or an Ambrose Fields.

None of these sound like your folks, which makes me question the info you have gotten.
Yeah...none of those names are familiar to me. Thanks for researching though. I appreciate you giving it a shot.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:38 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Try the newspaper archive: https://newspaperarchive.com/

In my experience, it covers newspapers in different towns and cities.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:28 PM

6,009 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I was texting with a cousin of mine yesterday and she had asked me had I ever heard about her grandfather murdering two people and then committing suicide. I was shocked. I had not heard that. Her father had told her this when she was a grown woman.

My cousin's grandmother and my great grandmother were sisters. Sarah McGhee and Elizabeth Mcghee. Sarah McGhee married a man named Samuel Fields. He worked for the Oklahoma State Prison. Sarah and Sam had two children, Elizabeth and Albert. Sarah died at a young age and consequently, her children were young when she died.

At some point Samuel brought an ex con that he knew into the home to help him with the kids. At another point in time, when Elizabeth (my cousin's mother) was in college, he met a woman who eventually moved in with Samuel. One day Samuel catches the woman and the ex con together. He kills them both and then slits his own throat.

My cousin who I'm in touch with, the daughter of Elizabeth, was told by her dad that "Uncle Ambrose" kicked Elizabeth and her brother Albert out of the state and kicked out of the family because of the scandal/potential scandal. "Uncle Ambrose" was Ambrose Fields, and he was in public office or running for public office.

My cousin has never been able to find information on any of this. Her mother, Elizabeth never NEVER talked about her childhood. My cousin describes her as "somewhat cold and aloof. She never showed me physical affection. For many years she drank too much." My cousin says her dad was her rock.

Sooo she (and I) would like more information. It seems like the likely place to start is with Ambrose Fields. Was there an Ambrose Fields in public office in Oklahoma? Was Ambrose a sibling of Samuel or a sibling of Samuels dad? By the way Samuels father's name was George Washington Fields

I tried researching yesterday but practically made myself cross eyed over it. Anyone got anything to offer? Any help?
This might be the biggest evidence you have to suggest what your cousin was told is true, from my experience. There are members of my not so distant deceased family that have been described to me like this, and I have found they had some sort of baggage regarding at least one of their parents, some of which not even the people who knew them knew about. Not quite double murder and suicide, but baggage nonetheless.

Has anyone requested Ambrose's death certificate? The listed cause of death could make confirm or deny what you were told. Local newspaper articles, too? A double murder and suicide would have articles written about it.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:02 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
You might check these:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5106537/fie

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...9/sarah_fields

Old 03-14-2024, 02:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

Have you tried going to family search to see if someone made a tree for Sarah and Elizabeth Mcghee? You can also search for other relatives, such as your grandmother that may lead you to them. Family search can be a gold mine with family trees and branches. If you do not find a tree, you should make one.

You also may want to try making a tree at ancestry if you do not have one already. You could get hints that may help. Same with My Heritage if you're not a member there. They also give hints.

You could also try wikitree to see if anyone made a tree there. The last time I was there was before COVID, making a tree there can be challenging, so I'm not suggesting you join there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This might be the biggest evidence you have to suggest what your cousin was told is true, from my experience. There are members of my not so distant deceased family that have been described to me like this, and I have found they had some sort of baggage regarding at least one of their parents, some of which not even the people who knew them knew about. Not quite double murder and suicide, but baggage nonetheless.

Has anyone requested Ambrose's death certificate? The listed cause of death could make confirm or deny what you were told. Local newspaper articles, too? A double murder and suicide would have articles written about it.

Agree, if it was true there should be articles. My maternal grandfathers brother shot his other brothers wife supposedly because she had chronic pain. He did not kill her, he blinded her. Another brother shot his son in law, supposedly in self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy