Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 01:04 AM

6,437 posts, read 5,093,521 times

Advertisements

The only one I can think of offhand is the West Seattle Bridge. It's just the West Seattle Bridge, it's not WA Route (some number) or anything. I'm sure there have to be others.

Harbor Drive in downtown Portland is a former example. It was torn down in the '70s.

I'm defining "freeway" here as "a highway with a higher speed limit than neighboring major streets, and no intersections, only on/off-ramps". Doesn't need to have multiple lanes on each side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 06:00 AM

935 posts, read 578,386 times
Long Island (NY) has a many longstanding limited-access high-speed parkways that have no signed* numerical designation and have never been known by numerical designation: the Northern (aka Northern State), Southern (aka Southern State), Meadowbrook, Wantagh, Sagtikos, Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Bethpage, and William Floyd - and NYC has a ton likewise though I can't recall which NYC parkways might have some parts that are numerically designated connections.

* NY State later assigned numbers for what might be broadly called bookkeeping reasons, but that would come as a shock to most users if they were to encounter them on the road or on maps.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:15 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,041,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm defining "freeway" here as "a highway with a higher speed limit than neighboring major streets, and no intersections, only on/off-ramps". Doesn't need to have multiple lanes on each side.
Does a freeway have to be a free limited access highway?

Because all three of New Jersey's toll highways are non-numbered: the entirety of the Garden State Parkway, most of the Atlantic City Expressway, and the New Jersey Turnpike from the Delaware border to Exit 6 just south of Trenton.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Does a freeway have to be a free limited access highway?

Because all three of New Jersey's toll highways are non-numbered: the entirety of the Garden State Parkway, most of the Atlantic City Expressway, and the New Jersey Turnpike from the Delaware border to Exit 6 just south of Trenton.
No, it can be tolled. Good examples

Old 05-15-2024, 11:09 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,873,630 times
The Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, turning into the Hutchinson River Turnpike in New York. Bronx River Parkway in New York City. Cross County Parkway in Westchester County NY. Northern State Parkway and Southern State Parkway on Long Island NY. The Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez, MS to Nashville TN. The Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago, in contrast, has I-290, as well as I-90 and I-95 designations on separate stretches.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:14 PM

Just remembered Indianapolis has the Sam Jones Expressway around the airport.

Carmel, IN also has the Keystone Pkwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez, MS to Nashville TN.
Where's the freeway section of this? Don't see it from a quick Google Map. Looks like a lot of examples in the NYC area yeah.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:55 PM

935 posts, read 578,386 times
The Merritt is (part of) CT Route 15, and signed as such.

Last edited by P Larsen; 05-15-2024 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2024, 03:32 PM

6,561 posts, read 3,236,852 times
There were big plans, but not fulfilled, for a 4 lane divided highway along the shore of Lake Ontario, in western NY State, aptly called the 'Lake Ontario State Parkway' (no route number). The roadway was planned to begin in Niagra Falls, NY and travel east, to Watertown, NY. Construction began in the late 50s, in Rochester, the midpoint of the road, with the idea of crews going in each direction, with the completion happening in 5-6 years.

Long story short, the crews went west, but not east, from Rochester, but for some reason the project stalled, after about 16-18 miles, I think, of road was complete. Construction initially terminated around Hamlin Beach, around the mid-60s, and then several years later, another few miles were built, before the entire project died.

I'm not sure about this one, but a number of years ago, the first time I drove to Myrtle Beach, as I was heading east, through North Carolina, I came across a 4 lane roadway called the 'Faircloth Freeway'. I might have missed it, but I don't recall seeing a route number attached to it.....

Old 05-15-2024, 07:24 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,116,431 times
The Palisades Parkway in NJ and NYS. On a somewhat related note NYC has a ton of "the" named parkways, probably quite a bit more than any other city in the country. The FDR, the Harlem River Drive, the Cross Bronx, the LIE, the Grand Central, the BQE, the Hutch, the West Side Hwy, the Henry Hudson, the Belt, the Bruckner and so on. Off the top of my head a few of them are numbered roads as well but the majority are not.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:36 PM

3,786 posts, read 4,137,051 times
There are several in the Washington, DC area. The George Washington Memorial Parkway is a limited access parkway that follows the south bank (Virginia side) of the Potomac River through the Washington, DC area. On the Maryland side of the upper Potomac is the Clara Barton Parkway, named for the nurse that founded the Red Cross. It goes from Washington, DC out to Glen Echo Maryland where the Red Cross is headquartered. Both parkways have no numbers, are known only by those names, and are managed by the National Park Service as they connect several parks, including George Washington's Mt Vernon estate.

Another parkway in the area that was built about the same time (in the post WW2 boom) and managed by the National Park Service is the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. It is a four lane limited access road that connects downtown Baltimore with downtown Washington, DC. When driving on it, it feels like you are in a national park because all of the road signs are brown and the bridges are made of stone, and the newer bridges are made of moulded concrete made to look like real stone. No billboards are allowed and all you can see is woods, because it is protected parkland. There was a state proposal a few years ago to widen it to six lanes, but it was defeated because they did not want to destroy the scenic character of the road. The road never had a number, but in recent years they gave it the number 295, but not interstate 295, probably to make it easier for visitors to the area to see that it is an alternative to I-95 which pretty much runs parallel.

Last edited by james777; 05-15-2024 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.