Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 09:11 PM

40 posts, read 22,739 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm in China.I learned some of American cities have a street full of homelessness and drug users.
I am wondering to what extent does this phenomenon exists? 10% or 20% of the streets? Most of the major cities.?Or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 04:46 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Most/all US cities do. We are going through a drug/opioid epidemic.

Its avoidable though.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:06 AM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Most/all US cities do. We are going through a drug/opioid epidemic.

Its avoidable though.
Most/all? I'm not so sure about that. While my city (Buffalo) certainly has some street people with drug issues, there is no "street full of homelessness and drug users." Perhaps it is more prevalent in the "richer" cities with high rents and housing shortages, along with a bigger class divide. No tent cities, or any sidewalk tents, here, ever. Rarely see anyone sleeping in a park, sidewalk, or doorway (like none in the last 2 or 3 years, and I get around a lot). The "worst" would be a couple of street corners near low-income apartments and Metro stations that may have fewer than a dozen or so folks hanging around much too long and too late, but they also tend to keep to themselves.

And in cities I am familiar with, these type of streets with multiple homeless and drug users are not very common. Maybe at most 0.1% of streets in any given city, sometimes only a block or two, usually near concentrations of homeless shelters, social service organizations, and inter-city bus stations. The places you hear about and see are the outliers (though many can be especially harrowing to an outsider).

Last edited by RocketSci; 04-05-2024 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 07:45 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Eh most big cities and bigger towns will have homeless encampments now, but what OP describes is basically Kensington in Philly, Skid Row in L.A. and the Tenderloin in SF. I'm sure there's others, but I couldn't think of an area quite like that in D.C. for instance.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Sometimes 2% of the city center have druggies and 10% will seem sketchy. But the rest of the city will be 0.05%.

Unfortunately, sometimes the services druggies use (like shelters) are right in the center.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:52 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Most/all? I'm not so sure about that. While my city (Buffalo) certainly has some street people with drug issues, there is no "street full of homelessness and drug users." Perhaps it is more prevalent in the "richer" cities with high rents and housing shortages, along with a bigger class divide. No tent cities, or any sidewalk tents, here, ever. Rarely see anyone sleeping in a park, sidewalk, or doorway (like none in the last 2 or 3 years, and I get around a lot). The "worst" would be a couple of street corners near low-income apartments and Metro stations that may have fewer than a dozen or so folks hanging around much too long and too late, but they also tend to keep to themselves.

And in cities I am familiar with, these type of streets with multiple homeless and drug users are not very common. Maybe at most 0.1% of streets in any given city, sometimes only a block or two, usually near concentrations of homeless shelters, social service organizations, and inter-city bus stations. The places you hear about and see are the outliers (though many can be especially harrowing to an outsider).
Buffalo area consistently has 300 opioid overdose deaths per year. And about 1,000 overdoses per year. Shall we continue or nah?

Old 04-05-2024, 10:00 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Both posts can be true.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:05 AM

1,202 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Eh most big cities and bigger towns will have homeless encampments now, but what OP describes is basically Kensington in Philly, Skid Row in L.A. and the Tenderloin in SF. I'm sure there's others, but I couldn't think of an area quite like that in D.C. for instance.
For DC - maybe the area around Gallery Place / Chinatown (some alleyways were well known open air drug market), but even there the things are much tamer than the likes of Kensington.

Pretty sure part of SoDo in Seattle has some concentration, as is the long time concentration around Old Town / Chinatown, Skidmore Fountains, and under Burnside Bridge in Portland OR.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:06 AM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Buffalo area consistently has 300 opioid overdose deaths per year. And about 1,000 overdoses per year. Shall we continue or nah?
I didn't say there weren't drug problems or homeless, just that there is no concentrated "drug user paradise" of "streets full of homelessness and drug users."

Old 04-05-2024, 10:36 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
For DC - maybe the area around Gallery Place / Chinatown (some alleyways were well known open air drug market), but even there the things are much tamer than the likes of Kensington.

Pretty sure part of SoDo in Seattle has some concentration, as is the long time concentration around Old Town / Chinatown, Skidmore Fountains, and under Burnside Bridge in Portland OR.

Gallery Place/Chinatown has a degree of seediness and street people are a visible presence, but it's also home to museums, restaurants, a major sports arena, a significant transit hub, public buildings. So there's a lot of reasons for 'normal' people incl. tourists to go there.

I think Kensington is by far the worst, and that's because it's a combination of being addict and homeless central as well as a low income Philly hood and if we're honest Philly hoods are among the most derelict you'll find in this country.

What D.C. has an increasing amount of is homeless camping in whatever random green space is available incl. right next to federal buildings and tourist sights. It's increasingly similar to California cities that way, which is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.