Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 04:03 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,632,797 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask this honest question because as a conservative I don't fully understand why liberals wouldn't support supply side economics. Supply side economics means that if there is more of something, the price of it would go down, which ultimately helps the poor the most. The second thing about supply side economics is that if there is more job creation, then there will be more wage growth which also helps the poor the most. Why wouldn't liberals support supply side economics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 04:58 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,484,919 times
I am not a liberal, but...

Lower consumer prices are not always a good thing. They lead to over consumption and are used to price out domestic production. The more domestic production (local farms, factories, etc.) are diminished the more dependent the market is on foriegn suppliers and financial speculators.

Finance drives up the price of goods with low elasticity (public goods like education, housing, and medicine) and lowers prices of consumer goods. See this graph for the overall trend: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/p...7?country=~USA

Job creation is another thing. You can have many low paying jobs which hypothetical would increase wages, but it also increases labor shortage.

When you have a labor shortage either wages go up OR new workers are brought in to replace the older workers. These new workers are easier to exploit, usually are immigrants or illegals who don't speak the native language, and can increase cultural tensions within a state or region.

Either way, there are adverse affects to supply-side economics since society is more than just a spread-sheet of facts and figures. On the surface an increase in $$ investments can look good, but it can also create structural problems.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:34 PM

38,926 posts, read 24,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I wanted to ask this honest question because as a conservative I don't fully understand why liberals wouldn't support supply side economics. Supply side economics means that if there is more of something, the price of it would go down, which ultimately helps the poor the most. The second thing about supply side economics is that if there is more job creation, then there will be more wage growth which also helps the poor the most. Why wouldn't liberals support supply side economics?
Because it cuts jobs and wages in the end. This started with Reaganomics and the greenmail and junk bonds that happened during it. In the 90's more firms offshore and starting outsourcing. Not that Chinese and Taiwanese products were new, there just were more. This has not produced more jobs, let alone higher paying jobs.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:59 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,296,978 times
It's about who gets the money first. Who is upstream and who is downstream.

Producers (read: capitalists and industrialists) get the money first with supply side economics.

Consumers (read: workers) get the money first with demand side economics.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,132,761 times
Quote:
Its not the more of something that makes price go down. Its more competition that makes price go down. You cant just create jobs without demand for the business that will employ these jobs. How will the business pay the workers?

Old 06-24-2021, 04:53 AM

7,400 posts, read 5,335,266 times
Quote:
Excellent question.

Avondalist has it right-- Libs oppose Supply Side because that fits their narrative. of "being on the side of The Little Guy."...In fact, The Little Guy is helped more by Supply Side Economics.

Keynesian Economics (govt dumps money into the economy) is inflationary (Try going to the used car lot and tell the salesman exactly how much you are going to spend)-->inflation decreases demand which means fewer workers are needed to produce goods & services.

Other answers given point out factors involved in the dynamics (ie- constantly changing & adjusting) of the economy, but don't apply only to supply side theory.

As they say-- when you need a job, you don't go to a poor guy for it.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:39 AM

34,246 posts, read 83,487,734 times
Quote:
I wanted to ask this honest question because as a conservative I don't fully understand...
Perhaps liberals have better reading and comprehension skills?
iow... they (we) can understand the issues just fine without the conservatives spin.

If you believe that you do have enough reading comprehension to keep up...
here are a few LINKS to read all about it.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:55 AM

5,371 posts, read 3,273,527 times
Quote:
I wanted to ask this honest question because as a conservative I don't fully understand why liberals wouldn't support supply side economics.
Well I think the first mistake is breaking an argument down to the tired liberal vs. conservative thing. Sure each side has its talking points but actions speak louder than words. The fact remains that neither side is willing to tackle any issue when it comes to Corporate America. All politicians know where their bread is buttered.

The reason the conservative/liberal argument fails is that, to use the tired stereotypes, conservatives are in favor of no regulations, generally pro business, for profit capitalism. How can you preach supply side economics when the goal is to maximize profits while minimizing costs? This is what got us to offshoring tech support and customer service to India and offshoring manufacturing to China. The lack of regulation and laws on companies is what encourages illegal immigration. Stop hiring illegal aliens and put a serious dent in illegal immigration.

But neither side will touch that and in the meantime they leave it up to good Americans from both sides of the aisle to point the finger at each other.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:12 AM

4,119 posts, read 1,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Well I think the first mistake is breaking an argument down to the tired liberal vs. conservative thing. Sure each side has its talking points but actions speak louder than words. The fact remains that neither side is willing to tackle any issue when it comes to Corporate America. All politicians know where their bread is buttered.

The reason the conservative/liberal argument fails is that, to use the tired stereotypes, conservatives are in favor of no regulations, generally pro business, for profit capitalism. How can you preach supply side economics when the goal is to maximize profits while minimizing costs? This is what got us to offshoring tech support and customer service to India and offshoring manufacturing to China. The lack of regulation and laws on companies is what encourages illegal immigration. Stop hiring illegal aliens and put a serious dent in illegal immigration.

But neither side will touch that and in the meantime they leave it up to good Americans from both sides of the aisle to point the finger at each other.

The bolded statement above makes an excellent point. In fact, the "tired liberal vs conservative thing" is better suited to the unleashed, rage-fueled grievances found in the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Thank you, BoSox 15, for the clarity of your response here in the Great Debates forum.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 AM

8,244 posts, read 7,606,157 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't liberals support supply side economics?
We are seeing a shift right now. Liberals (or maybe we should say Leftists) support Big Tech and other giant multinational corporations, which they see as a more efficient and flexible surrogate for Big Government.

Policies that effect corporations like Amazon, Apple, and Google may not be supply side tax breaks per se but the current laissez faire laws and policies allow them to act as monopolies which is more lucrative than mere tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates