Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:38 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times

Advertisements

Not much new on this.

Immunotherapy continues and has helped. It's also gotten him and mom out of the house, both together and separately.

They used to travel a lot(!) and the lack of travel is driving mom a little stir crazy.

Handful of times I've spoken to dad and his morale is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Thank you for the update. Maybe your mom needs to take a little trip!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:41 AM

734 posts, read 482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Not much new on this.

Immunotherapy continues and has helped. It's also gotten him and mom out of the house, both together and separately.

They used to travel a lot(!) and the lack of travel is driving mom a little stir crazy.

Handful of times I've spoken to dad and his morale is pretty good.
Thank you for sharing your story, Superhornet, and keeping us updated. I am glad your father's treatment is working for the time-being.

Take good care of yourself.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:45 AM

The immunotherapy has helped tremendously. No bloody discharge at all. They are at the end of the 7 treatment cycle and will now go for CT scans to see if/confirm whether the cancer is indeed gone.

However....the side effects have become significant. Serious fatigue, chills, and muscle aches. Per my mom Dad sleeps a lot; he's never been a great sleeper so getting 8-9 hours a night is a good thing, but the 4-6 additional hours in the daytime is not normal.

I'm sensing that morale at the house might not be that great. They seem to have traded a fatal problem for a solution that doesn't leave much quality of life.

The new medicine will be a less potent dose, so hopefully the side effects will greatly diminish.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:06 AM

Quote:
The immunotherapy has helped tremendously. No bloody discharge at all. They are at the end of the 7 treatment cycle and will now go for CT scans to see if/confirm whether the cancer is indeed gone.

However....the side effects have become significant. Serious fatigue, chills, and muscle aches. Per my mom Dad sleeps a lot; he's never been a great sleeper so getting 8-9 hours a night is a good thing, but the 4-6 additional hours in the daytime is not normal.

I'm sensing that morale at the house might not be that great. They seem to have traded a fatal problem for a solution that doesn't leave much quality of life.

The new medicine will be a less potent dose, so hopefully the side effects will greatly diminish.
Does your father have Stage 4 kidney cancer? I cannot remember.

I wish your father the best.

Take good care of yourself, and please keep us updated.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:48 AM

Things have gotten a little bit sketchy.

The immunotherapy appears to have cured the original issue. However, typically enough, the side effects are now the problem.

Dad sleeps or lays in bed 20 hours per day. When he does get up he's got aches/pains/chills so badly he walks around with a blanket on. Eats minimally.

He's now three weeks since his last treatment, and mom's hope is that these effects will recede over time.

The medical folks have been real helpful. "We will have to wait and see" and "Everyone reacts differently."

Mom did ask Dad "Knowing what you know NOW would you still have gone through with the treatment" Dad's emphatic answer was "yes."

One odd point is that when they go for follow up appointments, Dad refuses to let my Mom go back with him. Absolutely refuses. Mom's concern is that Dad's not asking any sort of follow up questions. This is....peculiar, and doesn't bode well.

That is all for now.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Things have gotten a little bit sketchy.

The immunotherapy appears to have cured the original issue. However, typically enough, the side effects are now the problem.

Dad sleeps or lays in bed 20 hours per day. When he does get up he's got aches/pains/chills so badly he walks around with a blanket on. Eats minimally.

He's now three weeks since his last treatment, and mom's hope is that these effects will recede over time.

The medical folks have been real helpful. "We will have to wait and see" and "Everyone reacts differently."

Mom did ask Dad "Knowing what you know NOW would you still have gone through with the treatment" Dad's emphatic answer was "yes."

One odd point is that when they go for follow up appointments, Dad refuses to let my Mom go back with him. Absolutely refuses. Mom's concern is that Dad's not asking any sort of follow up questions. This is....peculiar, and doesn't bode well.

That is all for now.

Thanks for updating us. I don't know what to think, to tell you the truth.

His quality of life definitely needs to improve at some point.

He may be hiding things from your mother. Family members do this with serious illnesses, etc. It's not unusual.

I hope your father starts to feel better. I don't like that he feels so bad from the side-effects from the immunotherapy regime.

Please keep us informed. I am interested in knowing how things develop with your father.

Take care, friend, and Happy New Year 2024.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:07 AM

Side effects continue as before; no real improvement.

They (again) discuss quality of life. "Was it worth it?" Dad answers emphatically that it was.

They are going to schedule a CT scan, which will confirm what they suspect, that the kidney issue has been resolved.

Re: the side effects I asked mom if she'd considered getting some sort of second opinion. They live in a rural-ish area, and a second opinion could mean a "long drive" of 2 hours. Mom vigorously indicated that they were not interested in such a long drive.

I've had some minor topsy turvy on my end; once it settles down in the next week or so I will see if she (mom) would be interested in me coming for a visit. I'm assuming she'll decline, but I'm still going to offer it.

Will continue to update.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Side effects continue as before; no real improvement.

They (again) discuss quality of life. "Was it worth it?" Dad answers emphatically that it was.

They are going to schedule a CT scan, which will confirm what they suspect, that the kidney issue has been resolved.

Re: the side effects I asked mom if she'd considered getting some sort of second opinion. They live in a rural-ish area, and a second opinion could mean a "long drive" of 2 hours. Mom vigorously indicated that they were not interested in such a long drive.

I've had some minor topsy turvy on my end; once it settles down in the next week or so I will see if she (mom) would be interested in me coming for a visit. I'm assuming she'll decline, but I'm still going to offer it.

Will continue to update.
Thank you for updating us.

So, your father is in remission, more or less, or so you think?

Take good care.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:07 AM

Some updates.

Dad gets up for breakfast, watches football, and helps a bit around the house. Morale is significantly better. Dramatic improvement over lying in bed 20 hours a day.

This, to me, is a huge improvement. Mom on the other hand is slightly unimpressed. Not sure what's going on there, but perhaps she's still mentally present in the past few months rather than a few days of improvement.

They are awaiting some test results to confirm that the treatment addressed the cancer. She's under the impression that she will log on to their patient portal and see both the results and medical interpretation of same. Not sure that is what will happen, but we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning