Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 06:56 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times

Advertisements

Most cities have a primary city and counties/suburbs so it makes it easier to define the difference between the urban and suburban areas. Nonetheless, what cities or areas of cities would you say composes the urban core of Hampton Roads Va in contrast to the suburban cities or areas? For example, would you only consider Norfolk the urban core of the region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 06:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Most cities have a primary city and counties/suburbs so it makes it easier to define the difference between the urban and suburban areas. Nonetheless, what cities or areas of cities would you say composes the urban core of Hampton Roads Va in contrast to the suburban cities or areas? For example, would you only consider Norfolk the urban core of the region?
Interesting..
Chesapeake & Virginia Beach are basically the Southside's suburbs. Virginia Beach built a pseudo-downtown (Town Center), but Va. Beach is still where most people live for a suburban lifestyle (a lot of Navy families, etc).
My take, the Southside's urban core would be Downtown Norfolk, and parts of Norfolk & Portsmouth that are on the water, where you see the ships & industry etc.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I would disagree about Virginia Beach being a suburb. That may have been true in the past, but Virginia Beach has built up its own self-sustaining employment core in that it no longer needs to be dependent on Norfolk to thrive. I would consider the Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Portsmouth to be the central cities on the Southside and Chesapeake and Suffolk to be the suburbs. On the Peninsula, Newport News is the main urban core.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:18 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I would disagree about Virginia Beach being a suburb. That may have been true in the past, but Virginia Beach has built up its own self-sustaining employment core in that it no longer needs to be dependent on Norfolk to thrive..
True, Virginia Beach hasn't really 'needed' Norfolk since the 70s.. but Virginia Beach is still basically/culturally a giant suburban neighborhood (minus Pungo/rural areas).

What large areas of VB do you see as urban?

Old 01-24-2023, 01:07 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
True, Virginia Beach hasn't really 'needed' Norfolk since the 70s.. but Virginia Beach is still basically/culturally a giant suburban neighborhood (minus Pungo/rural areas).

What large areas of VB do you see as urban?
My guess is you have a different definition of urban. I consider economic independence and having a self-sustaining employment core as my definition of urban. My guess is you consider having a downtown skyline as your definition of urban. I consider the former to be far more important than the latter.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:14 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
The responses you all provided made me think of a similar question to the original question. If you had the opportunity to make the Hampton Roads area into one city, what would you include as the main city and what would you change into a county or suburb?

Old 01-31-2023, 01:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
In my opinion Norfolk, Virginia Beach’s Towne Center and Waterront are the primary city centers. Lots of suburb and strip mall areas between them.

Similar to Dallas/Fort Worth, if you excluded anything east of Arlington. Arlington being similar to Virginia Beach and Fort Worth being similar to Norfolk. (where DFW is much bigger overall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area