Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 01:20 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howyoudoo View Post
"... Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates.
You can’t ship a car without temporary registration/plate. Jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
"... Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates. The catch-22 on arrival is that it needs inspection before plates. So how could I get it inspected without plates short of paying a tow truck?? What do people do in this situation? I hope there is a temporary plate solution ..."

Am I supposed to create a new thread for what was asked already?
To get reasonable answers from the helpful volunteers on this page, the first thing you need to do is be polite. White Viper is a font of information, as are others here, but unless you clearly state what you need to know, how are we supposed to respond?

BTW, you can also check with your shipping company on their requirements. Matson and Pasha both have details on what you need to do to ship with them.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:24 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
The obvious answer is either to tow it or take your chances with driving it.

I did that once in Hilo, because my plates had been stolen. Drive to DMV was uneventful and I got new plates. Returning home a cop stopped me and pulled up along side, asking what's up with the no plates?" I told him they had been stolen and new ones were on the floor in back seat area. He gave me a thumbs up and left. But that was almost 30 years ago now...

Old 09-29-2020, 11:37 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Quote:
I landed on this page via Google Search. Please, any updates on this? Thank you
The only update I'm aware of since I went through the process in 2015 is regarding COVID and the safety sticker issue:

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fa...ty-check-faqs/

"You can’t ship a car without temporary registration/plate. Jeez."

I shipped two unregistered / plateless cars from Oahu to the BI. If you're referring from the madland to the state, I don't know about that.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:07 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
. After you affix your plates both front and back and assuming you have the insurance card printed on the Hawaii card stock (I should have mentioned this before telling you to take your insurance cards to the registration office...insurance cards MUST be printed on Hawaii card stock or they are worthless... your insurance company has to have them printed in Hawaii, so you can't print them online etc
You can actually have your insurer e-mail you a pdf file of your card(s) and the inspector will accept it. It has to be the original file and best to have the e-mail it was attached to available as well. They will have you pull the file up on your phone, pc or tablet and then take a picture of it as part of the inspection record.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:21 PM

74 posts, read 333,736 times
I recently had to register a car purchased from a used car dealer on the mainland that arrived in Honolulu with no plates, no registration or safety check sticker. I researched the process but found the information was extremely scant (the City & County of Honolulu's DMV website desperately could use improvement.) This information is for Oahu only.

There was 1 thread that gave me the basics of what was needed: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ar-hawaii.html

Here was my experience and what I learned. This was the first time I bought a car out-of-state (I couldn't find what I wanted here at the price I wanted to pay after months of searching) and I was understandably hesitant, given the lack of information I could find. But it actually went fairly well.

Unless you want to pay for a tow to multiple places (home from the shipper, safety check inspector, etc.) you don't have much choice except to drive the car with no plates. I chanced it (only to get it home and to the safety check) but you will have to choose what level of risk you want to take.

By law, you must register your car within 30 days of its' arrival. Once you are told of the impending arrival of your vehicle in HI, make a "Motor Vehicle and Other" appointment at the appropriate Satellite City Hall with AlohaQ: https://alohaq.honolulu.gov/?lp. Due to COVID-19, they do NOT take walk-ins, and you may have to book your appointment a couple of weeks in advance, depending on location. Do this ASAP.

Before your appointment with the DMV, make an appointment to have the car safety-checked locally. Because you do not have a HI registration, you will get a failure notice, but don't worry about that. When you get your HI registration, you will return and they'll reissue you a passing safety check and your sticker. More on that below*.

Essential DMV paperwork: 1) Shipping document, i.e. Bill of Lading, from the shipper. 2) Proof of current vehicle insurance. 3) Safety check notice. 4) Out of state title or registration. They will make you fill out an 5) Application for Registration form at the window. It's not available online.

I did not have an out-of-state registration, only the title. So what the clerk had me do was take a picture of the detailed VIN plate on the inside edge of the driver's side door or doorway (the plate is usually black or silver and has the gross vehicle weight, VIN and lots of other numbers on it.) I emailed it from my phone to the DMV and she printed it. It probably would be helpful if you print a hard copy of a picture of the VIN plate and bring it with you to the DMV along with your other paperwork if you lack the registration.

Pay your license plate and emblem fee. They will give you the plates and registration sticker at the window.

Return to the safety check inspection site to get a passed inspection notice and a safety sticker. But read below:

*If the car has no plates and lacks the attachment screws for the plates, either purchase the screws beforehand or go to a hardware store immediately after the DMV and get them prior to going to the safety check inspection site. Bring along a Phillips screwdriver. I found out the safety inspection sticker cannot be issued UNLESS THE PLATES ARE FASTENED TO THE CAR. Really.

That was my experience, though yours may vary. Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:32 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Maybe it's different for Hawaii County than Honolulu County, but AFAIK, the DMV here on Hawaii island doesn't ask for the insurance card, just the failed safety inspection. The insurance card is shown to the safety check people and none of the ones we use care about what card stock it's printed on, but YMMV.

If you want to be legal about the whole process, tow the vehicle to the inspection station. Show your shipping papers and whatever ownership papers you have to them. They will inspect the vehicle and make notes of what it doesn't have, in this case registration and Hawaii license plates. Then, leave the car there and go to the DMV, get your registration and plates, go back to the car, install the plates, finish the safety inspection and you should be good.

HOWEVER, at the moment, you have to get an appointment to visit the DMV. We have a new vehicle to get registered and the next available appoint is for January 12th or so. Here's a link to the County DMV's appointments: https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/departments/finance/vehicle-registration-licensing/vrl-appointments

Old 12-21-2020, 08:30 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Hotcatz my experience was the same as yours. The "DMV" didn't even look at my insurance documents. I think the 'special paper' for the insurance cards is only required if you get pulled over.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Coincidentally enough, I'm dealing with the exact same scenario (I'm half way through it) and I've talked to the Hawaii vehicle registration office and also a Hawaii county police officer, though I can't tell from the posts here what county the question is pertaining to. In my case I'm a resident of the Big Island and the car is coming from Honolulu without plates because it was bought at auction. It's not an out of state vehicle but the procedure is the same.

The quick answer is: you're screwed, but you can work through the process. Without plates and a current safety inspection, there is no way to legally drive your car from the barge to step 1: getting the safety inspection. Assuming you pass your safety inspection, you will get a "temporary" form saying you failed your safety inspection because you have no plates. If the safety check place lets you leave your car there, you can go to the registration office by hitching a ride somehow and avoid continuing to drive your car illegally. Take the temp safety to the registration office with your ownership and insurance information and get your plates and registration. After you affix your plates both front and back and assuming you have the insurance card printed on the Hawaii card stock (I should have mentioned this before telling you to take your insurance cards to the registration office...insurance cards MUST be printed on Hawaii card stock or they are worthless... your insurance company has to have them printed in Hawaii, so you can't print them online etc, so plan on this delay) you have to go back to the mechanic and have your temporary safety converted into a permanent safety. Then your car will be legal to drive.

I asked the police officer how can a person get their car to the safety inspection etc without getting a ticket and was told the only way to be sure was to have the vehicle towed. The fine is $70, which is less than a tow job, and so you can probably guess that most people just risk it.
Hi, I know this post is long overdue but i am currently in the same situation. I’m bringing a trailer in the island. I would like to ask, does the dmv guys need to check the vehicle before they give you the plates and do they have to weigh it in before releasing the plates as well? I’m really confused on what to do and i’m relying on this thread only. The DMV here just gave me the requirements and never gave me the steps on what to do. I can’t get a hold of them, i’ve been giving them calls and sending emails but they never bother to give a callback or reply.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:10 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky01 View Post
Hi, I know this post is long overdue but i am currently in the same situation. I’m bringing a trailer in the island. I would like to ask, does the dmv guys need to check the vehicle before they give you the plates and do they have to weigh it in before releasing the plates as well? I’m really confused on what to do and i’m relying on this thread only. The DMV here just gave me the requirements and never gave me the steps on what to do. I can’t get a hold of them, i’ve been giving them calls and sending emails but they never bother to give a callback or reply.
Surf’s up … try ‘em at the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: