Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 09:44 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

We’re in south Louisiana. While doing an early morning walking exercise with the wife I saw some spots on the roof that didn’t look right. Got some estimates and all agreed that those spots were warning signs that the roof was in need of replacing but not to the point of being dangerous or leaks. Some estimates were in the range of $15,000. The one we decided to go with was $35,000 range. We got approval for a loan for that amount in a decent interest rate (by today’s standards) in a monthly amount we can safely afford. Reason why we went with them is because, unlike the other companies, they included replacing flashing and other roof penetrations as well as longer work and material warranty. We’re 55 years old and the warranty is long enough for our peace of mind. Another plus is they’re going to use 6 nails per tile which is a big benefit here in hurricane country. They had a great reference with a home owner and video. The home had their roof replaced by this company a year before a major hurricane hit and their home didn’t have any missing shingles while their neighbors had missing shingles with some roofs almost completely bare of shingles. Because we have a chimney they’re also going to install something to channel the water around the chimney instead of pouring down against one side of the chimney. They will also be replacing our whirling golf ball attic vents with a ridge vent. The person who came out for the estimate explained everything very well. If we couldn’t get a loan approval for this then we would have to go with the $15,000 contractors who would just replace the shingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 10:07 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Minimum $15K? Wow. $35K? Double wow.

Just had my roof(s) replaced. No leaks, but it was due. House is a 36'x24' 1½-story semi-Cape Code with a 45° gable roof with an offset decorative dormer in the front that's maybe 16' wide. Garage is a 24'x22' with 20° gable roof. Both were complete tear offs, new vents, no wood replacement needed, 15 year shingles. Had gutters installed on the garage, house already had them. Scheduled 3 weeks out, done in a single day.

$10,500 total cost. Was saving up for home repairs, so didn't need to take out a loan. But my bank balance is feeling pretty anemic right now.

Old 08-05-2023, 10:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The one we decided to go with was $35,000 range.
Wow. Large home? Lot's of complicated gables and dormers?[/quote]

Old 08-05-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Just had my roof(s) replaced. No leaks, but it was due. House is a 36'x24' 1½-story semi-Cape Code with a 45° gable roof with an offset decorative dormer in the front that's maybe 16' wide. Garage is a 24'x22' with 20° gable roof. Both were complete tear offs, new vents, no wood replacement needed, 15 year shingles. Had gutters installed on the garage, house already had them. Scheduled 3 weeks out, done in a single day.

$10,500 total cost. Was saving up for home repairs, so didn't need to take out a loan. But my bank balance is feeling pretty anemic right now.
Roofing in south Louisiana has gotten more expensive since the run of hurricanes and COVID. The $15000 estimates did not include replacing chimney flashing, gas exhaust vent pipes, nor roof vents. The one we went with includes replacing chimney flashing, gas exhaust vents, wood to fill in openings of existing roof vents, and converting roof to a ridge vent. There’s also different underlay material for water such as a water repellent material for channels and a water resistant material for flat areas. Our home survived hurricanes since 1973 but there were plenty of surrounding trees to act as a wind break. Those trees were recently removed because they were dying so we went with higher grade 6 nails per shingle and a longer work and material warranty (30 years).

Old 08-05-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Wow. Large home? Lot's of complicated gables and dormers?
[/quote]

Photo below is satellite image of our roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing roof-img_0106.jpeg  

Old 08-05-2023, 02:24 PM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
We had a metal roof installed on the house (not the shop) about 5 years ago, multiple angles and such and it 1/2 of your highest quote. Actually cheaper than that. That included new flashings, exhaust vents etc...

Old 08-05-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We had a metal roof installed on the house (not the shop) about 5 years ago, multiple angles and such and it 1/2 of your highest quote. Actually cheaper than that. That included new flashings, exhaust vents etc...
Even the cheap companies wanted over $50,000 for a metal roof.

Old 08-05-2023, 03:06 PM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Even the cheap companies wanted over $50,000 for a metal roof.
I paid about $15,000-$17,000 and that was from a reputable and not cheap company. I can't believe costs are that much higher in LA. Montana ain't cheap either. Were you looking at the standing seam metal or the exposed fastener? Standing seam would've doubled our price, but still would be less than $50,000!

I did get a quote from a few other companies and they were a little higher but not as well reputed as Joe at Square One. We've become friends since my job- I've done some consulting with him. Have you shopped around contractors and checked references?

https://squareonemt.com/about

Old 08-05-2023, 03:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

15 year shingles was a mistake. You'll get 10 to 12 years out of them.

For another couple of thousand you could have gone with 35 year architectural shingles, much thicker and longer lasting.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
15 year shingles was a mistake. You'll get 10 to 12 years out of them.

For another couple of thousand you could have gone with 35 year architectural shingles, much thicker and longer lasting.
That’s what we went with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House