Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

I currently have well water that has an intermittent sulfur smell, and it is very hard water.

The existing system I have is piecemealed with an outside aerator (to reduce the sulfur smell), then fed into an electric pump to increase pressure, then a sediment filter, then into a water softener, before it enters the house.
I am looking to have it all replaced with a newer/better system (i.e. getting rid of the outside aerator), then connected to a reverse osmosis system for drinking/cooking water.

The trouble is so many companies claim their system is the best, and they can range in price from $4k to $12k installed, depending on the brand and bells and whistles.
Safe drinking water is a must, and though the sulfur smell is not harmful, it is not pleasant.

So which system/s does anyone recommend, and what was your approximate cost?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 11:44 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
All systems, and/or companies that install/mantain are not everywhere.

So, where is said well? UK? US(state, city)? Dealing with a local company will certainly afford you better service/advice- knowing the water in the area.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:00 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
We had the Kinetico Premier Mach - 2030s installed last year and we could not be happier with the quality of our water now.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:37 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I think you would be better off putting individual filters on the faucets in your place. Every thing I've read says that a whole house filter system is much more expensive and doesn't work as well as individual filters.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:09 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I think you would be better off putting individual filters on the faucets in your place. Every thing I've read says that a whole house filter system is much more expensive and doesn't work as well as individual filters.
Do you have a link for that? I am interested in the topic and it seems it would be a lot more time and expense to put (and replace) filters on every faucet. What do you do about filters for the washing machine, water heater, etc ?

Old 04-05-2024, 07:59 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Pelican/Pentair
We bought the top of the line and opted for no salt. Installation took some heavy calls to sales/customer service. Everything worked for a year then the issue with residue was back. We could not get anyone on the phone and Pelican/Pentair merged. I finally tracked a longtime manager through LinkedIn. The fine print had changed from "removal" to "less" but they shipped a complete new salt system. ??? SO will install it this or next weekend.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:33 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
We had the Kinetico Premier Mach - 2030s installed last year and we could not be happier with the quality of our water now.
If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost including installation?

Old 04-09-2024, 06:16 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost including installation?
The cost was roughly $5,500 and it's for their top of the line model. We were also quoted for the next level down and that was right around $3,000.

Their cost to install was $299 but we received a promotion for free installation and a couple other discounts. Below is from the invoice:

Labor - Professional System Installation $299.00

Kinetico Premier 2030s Softener Bundle (Professional 300 lb. Capacity 18" x 35" Brine Tank, Well Water Filter Bundle, 3 Gallon WoW Storage Tank, Mach Superkit - 10" Professional 20 micron Prefilter and By-pass) $6,090.00

Free Professional Installation $ -299.00

5% Special Savings $ -304.50

Cash Discount $-296.12

Not only has it softened our water but it filters out the sediment & minerals that were leaving a red/orange residue in our sinks, toilets, and bathtubs and our linens/clothing. It has cut down on the amount of scrubbing we were having to do on a weekly basis and it keeps our whites white.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:27 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
We've had a Rainsoft unit for many years. I cannot tell you what we paid for it, but it does the job and keeps our water soft. I do find that with just the two of us, the units (softener and pH) do not need to regen as often as recommended. Once a week is plenty. We also had them install a reverse osmosis unit under our kitchen sink, and that has paid for itself many times over. We used to have Deer Park delivered, but that was years ago.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:47 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I currently have well water that has an intermittent sulfur smell, and it is very hard water.

The existing system I have is piecemealed with an outside aerator (to reduce the sulfur smell), then fed into an electric pump to increase pressure, then a sediment filter, then into a water softener, before it enters the house.
I am looking to have it all replaced with a newer/better system (i.e. getting rid of the outside aerator), then connected to a reverse osmosis system for drinking/cooking water.

The trouble is so many companies claim their system is the best, and they can range in price from $4k to $12k installed, depending on the brand and bells and whistles.
Safe drinking water is a must, and though the sulfur smell is not harmful, it is not pleasant.

So which system/s does anyone recommend, and what was your approximate cost?
We built a house in 1999 in a rural area in WV off of Sulphur Spring Rd. Oddly when we popped a well, well it smelled like Sulphur, lol. BAD. Great well- we hit like 90gpm at 80ft, but went deeper to try and get beyond that odor- didn't work.

So what the water guys decided on was a chlorination tank. Water coming in ran thru a chlorine injection tank then run through a carbon filter tank and it worked great. No smells whatsoever. We didn't need a softener, the water was pretty good in that sense. It was an option though.

I added a gallon of bleach to the chlorination tank about once a month.

Here in MT we are going to add a softener, and the plumbing family I know that has done a lot of great work for us basically said the stuff sold at any box store is as good as another. It's not rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House