Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 362 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a job with my employer to move from Washington state (Vancouver) to Tomball, TX.
Frankly, I'm looking for a fresh start in life, and wanted to know if this would be a good fit for me.
Originally from Montana, moved to Washington 2 years ago.
Any words of wisdom would be great.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 08:31 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenayers View Post
I've been offered a job with my employer to move from Washington state (Vancouver) to Tomball, TX.
Frankly, I'm looking for a fresh start in life, and wanted to know if this would be a good fit for me.
Thanks.

Tomball is really part of the Cypress/Tomball area that is a huge, heavily populated area of the northwest Houston metro. Cypress/Tomball has numerous great neighborhoods of middle and upper class homes. Many neighborhoods are built in pine forest. Beware of Municipal Utility Districts, which mean high property taxes. Also plan your housing situation based not only on existing traffic, but on potential traffic. Any undeveloped land you see, whether forested or not, will quickly fill in with homes or apartments. It's not an exciting urban lifestyle, but if suburban life suits you, Cypress/Tomball is a good choice. It's a slow drive into Houston proper due to traffic, so most people in the burbs limit such trips. Btw, medical facilities in Cypress/Tomball are excellent, with satellite clinics/hospitals from the main Houston locations in the inner city.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Tomball has grown a lot but it still has a conservative small town feel. I know many people who live there that work in The Woodlands.

Obviously coming from Washington and Montana you will need to prepare for hot summers.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:10 PM

270 posts, read 117,840 times
Default A mice change.

I'm from Washington also (Kitsap County) this will be a nice change for you. Texas is quite different from Washington but I believe life will be easier for you here. Sure the summers are harsh but that's only 4 months a year. I think you'll like it.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:01 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenayers View Post
Thanks.
It would help if you tell us more about yourself

Old 04-04-2024, 11:43 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Tomball has grown a lot but it still has a conservative small town feel. I know many people who live there that work in The Woodlands.

Obviously coming from Washington and Montana you will need to prepare for hot summers.

Because the Tomball/Cypress area is quickly becoming more ethnically and culturally diverse, it is also becoming more politically diverse.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:35 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Tomball is really part of the Cypress/Tomball area that is a huge, heavily populated area of the northwest Houston metro. Cypress/Tomball has numerous great neighborhoods of middle and upper class homes. Many neighborhoods are built in pine forest. Beware of Municipal Utility Districts, which mean high property taxes. Also plan your housing situation based not only on existing traffic, but on potential traffic. Any undeveloped land you see, whether forested or not, will quickly fill in with homes or apartments. It's not an exciting urban lifestyle, but if suburban life suits you, Cypress/Tomball is a good choice. It's a slow drive into Houston proper due to traffic, so most people in the burbs limit such trips. Btw, medical facilities in Cypress/Tomball are excellent, with satellite clinics/hospitals from the main Houston locations in the inner city.
It is hard to avoid MUDs in unincorporated Texas. Some incorporated areas have them. Just figure the cost into your housing budget. That's how communities are developed. It is the structure used to get water, sewer facilities and distribution built. Also figure in the HOA fees. That pays for common ground upkeep and street lights for communities not in the city limits.

Tomball has always been a great little town. It has been growing since the 70s. Check the real estate site HAR.com for housing cost and availability.

If the place of employment is in the Tomball area you may never need to go into Houston.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:09 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Can't really give pointers without knowing more about your situation. One big difference is Tomball is part of a much bigger metro. The weather and scenery will be the biggest change you'll notice.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
It is a burb, while most services, essentials, etc are near by be prepared to drive to Houston for other things.
In general Houston is a car / drive heavy city.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:45 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
It is a burb, while most services, essentials, etc are near by be prepared to drive to Houston for other things.
In general Houston is a car / drive heavy city.
Nope. You don’t have to drive into Houston for any daily activities. The northside has everything you need. Tomball itself is fairly lacking in amenities. But Spring, the Woodlands and Cypress all have Tomball well covered and are much closer than driving into Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston