Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 03:14 AM

261 posts, read 189,226 times

Advertisements

Watching WSAZ reporting on street flooding this morning. It's a constant problem when heavy rains come.

I grew up in Huntington as a kid and it didn't seem to be so much of a problem back then. But something I've noticed over the years. When people mowed grass, they swept up the clippings especially out of the street so they wouldn't wash down into the curb drains and plug the sewers.

As a kid passing newspapers we often mowed grass for our customers and learned the responsibility of finishing the job by sweeping up after mowing. In those years Huntington had Motorcycle Police who cruised the neighborhoods just looking for grass in the streets while people were mowing. They would often stop and remind us not to leave it there and were quite firm about it.

So often people like to mow before it rains. Thus the new mowed lawn responds well to rain water and looks good for the days following.

Now days I don't see kids mowing like I used to. But those mowing are grown men with trucks and trailers hauling rigs with crews and equipment. I often see some of these outfits leaving grass blown out all over the street as they rush to the next job to ring their cash register once again.

What remains in my memory most from my youth in Huntington were these big orange auger tucks that would occasionally come out and pull the heavy cast iron sewer cover lids and run the "snake" down thru the sewers in the neighborhoods to clear them of any blockage. I remember the men explaining to us that a certain amount of it was to be expected as normal, but if they had to come back every week or two they made a report......and thus the Motorcycle Policemen cruising the neighborhoods towards the weekends when people were mowing. (we as kids would of course tell our parents what the man told us) Later I learned that there were people with basements den's where they could go when it was hot outside. Air conditioning wasn't that common back then. The sewer blockage often caused sewage to back up in their basements ruining their efforts to have a cool place in the heat. Then it was explained to me that regular home owners insurance didn't cover that damage but they would have to have Flood Insurance for that which is expensive.

Several of the places that WSAZ was showing with street flooding are the usual suspects. When I drive thru there I notice grass blown out into the street and never cleaned up. Like between Stewart's and the Pub on Fifth ave or in the west end near the old Ensign Electric building.

Where I live now there really isn't a sewer system in the neighborhood. Plenty of nice expensive homes. Many of those home owners just blow the grass out into the paved street and never mind cleaning it up. Such lovely home trashed by their own homeowner. Oh well.

Last edited by Jewel City Joe; 07-01-2021 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 07:25 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
I share your disdain for people who blow the grass clippings out in the street and just leave them there. It shows their ignorance, but of course, it's not limited to just Huntington, nor just to the state of WV. I've seen it in other states too.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 AM

84 posts, read 59,078 times
My dad grew up in the west end and my grandfather until the day he died went to town hall meetings talking about the flooding. If a rain came, everyone on the block would have to love their cars a few blocks up. It’s absolutely ridiculous that people pay taxes to the city and this is still a reoccurring problem decades later.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:57 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
My dad grew up in the west end and my grandfather until the day he died went to town hall meetings talking about the flooding. If a rain came, everyone on the block would have to love their cars a few blocks up. It’s absolutely ridiculous that people pay taxes to the city and this is still a reoccurring problem decades later.
Yep, and that area on 5th Avenue in the east end has been a flood area for at least 50 years... and also the viaducts on 8th, 10th, and 16th Streets have been long-time flood areas.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
You have to remember that for many decades the city has done the bare minimum to update their infrastructure, usually only doing repairs.

Also, the city has half the population it had 50 years ago but the city limits have expanded. So the city is still trying to run the city like it did 50 years ago with half the population and much, much lower revenue.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:04 AM

194 posts, read 181,846 times
I noticed this too and also as someone who cut lawns I the 80's I never would have left as much dead grass after a cutting as besides the mess and clogging the drains to much can kills the grass in spots

Recently on a walk I found a clue as to just how old the gutter and draining system may be, apparently after the flood of 1937 the WPA came in and rebuilt the streets

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntingtonW...t_8th_and_8th/

Old 07-03-2021, 05:39 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Good to see you again, Wyvern-Quill. I thought we'd lost you after you got to Huntington.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:42 AM

Oh no i'v been here but with being so tired and the lock down i just walks to sheetz once a week for hotdogs

Old 07-16-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
... and also the viaducts on 8th, 10th, and 16th Streets have been long-time flood areas.

I meant to mention the other day they are working on the Viaduct this summer, they were supposed to close them one at a time for 30 days each but it was 40 or 45 day. 8th near me was the first week of May to into the middle of June then they moved on to 10th

Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Seems like the work on the viaducts is doing its job. I have t noticed any closure of the viaducts with heavy rain since the work was completed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington