Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 09:02 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times

Advertisements

Could it be that Jackson may become a new movie-making capitol in the world? A new studio development called Mill Street Studios is expected to contain two 6,000 square foot studios, two jumbo 17,000 square foot sound stages, a 20-acre movie ranch, production offices and related support services. A boutique hotel and restaurants will also be a part of it. Construction could start as early as the second quarter of 2023. Here's more information on the project:

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...dtown-jackson/

Here's a website for Mill Street Studios:

https://millstreetstudios.com/tour.html

This could be something very good, not just for Jackson, but for the entire state. And not just movies. With all the streaming services needing to make original content, you might be watching a series on Netflix in a few years and see that it was made in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 07:37 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Can't clean up her own embarrassing "business" for decades, but y'all think she's gonna bring in a movie studio?

Why does Jackson always jump up when someone over promises, only to later under deliver?

Old 01-21-2023, 10:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Charlotte Reeves perpetually runs for Jxn mayor and has since at least the 90s. She had an ongoing feud with Frank Melton over a "lumber yard" (which I think was really just a business that broke down wooden pallets) she ran (likely at this same spot?). Though, I don't think she has deep pockets and must be in her 70s. A quick google search of Hollywood insider "Robert Schnitzer" returns he has a net worth of $17 mil, which I wouldn't think would even get started on a project like this, but maybe he has connections and can bring in wealthy investors.

Let's hope this thing gets off the ground as it would be great for the metro, at least they went through the trouble of building a website. I wouldn't get too optimistic yet.

I'm sure Kingfish will soon do a deep dive into the proposed project.

Last edited by viverlibre; 01-21-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-21-2023, 04:26 PM

235 posts, read 424,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Could it be that Jackson may become a new movie-making capitol in the world? A new studio development called Mill Street Studios is expected to contain two 6,000 square foot studios, two jumbo 17,000 square foot sound stages, a 20-acre movie ranch, production offices and related support services. A boutique hotel and restaurants will also be a part of it. Construction could start as early as the second quarter of 2023. Here's more information on the project:

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...dtown-jackson/

Here's a website for Mill Street Studios:

https://millstreetstudios.com/tour.html

This could be something very good, not just for Jackson, but for the entire state. And not just movies. With all the streaming services needing to make original content, you might be watching a series on Netflix in a few years and see that it was made in Mississippi.
I usually try to be positive about Jackson's progress, but I can't help but be cynical here. This is the type of large-scale development that gets announced in Jackson every 5 years or so. We'll get constant updates for about two years, then we'll get small trickles, and then about 5 years later we'll get a big article about how the project is still alive and being retooled as something much smaller. Finally, another 3 years later, we'll discover the project is dead.

I hate to be this cynical, but a series of small projects that work in tandem to improve a community seems to work best in Jackson. Look at Fondren and Belhaven and even Eastover.

I hope for the best, but I'm prepared for disappointment.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popquez87 View Post
I usually try to be positive about Jackson's progress, but I can't help but be cynical here. This is the type of large-scale development that gets announced in Jackson every 5 years or so. We'll get constant updates for about two years, then we'll get small trickles, and then about 5 years later we'll get a big article about how the project is still alive and being retooled as something much smaller. Finally, another 3 years later, we'll discover the project is dead.

I hate to be this cynical, but a series of small projects that work in tandem to improve a community seems to work best in Jackson. Look at Fondren and Belhaven and even Eastover.

I hope for the best, but I'm prepared for disappointment.
It possibly could turn out that way, but one thing that is true is the surrounding area needs a major cleanup. There was a lot of trash and old tires under the Fortification Street bridge that crosses over Mill Street. Plus, a lot of abandoned houses in the area need to be torn down.

It is also somewhat telling that not a ton of local media have a story on this after a Google search. The Clarion-Ledger, WJTV and the Mississippi Business Journal are the only local outlets I saw with articles on their websites. Not even WLBT or WJTV have stories on it.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:52 PM

235 posts, read 424,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
It possibly could turn out that way, but one thing that is true is the surrounding area needs a major cleanup. There was a lot of trash and old tires under the Fortification Street bridge that crosses over Mill Street. Plus, a lot of abandoned houses in the area need to be torn down.

It is also somewhat telling that not a ton of local media have a story on this after a Google search. The Clarion-Ledger, WJTV and the Mississippi Business Journal are the only local outlets I saw with articles on their websites. Not even WLBT or WJTV have stories on it.
Thank you for the response. I read the Clarion Ledger and MBJ articles. Those were so much more detailed and had a lot more information about the funding and the backers. I'm a little more hopeful, but I'm still cautious. This and the Midtown Culinary Center could really help galvanize that area economically.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Does anyone know the status of this project: Jackson tech district

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/12/25/cons...gin-next-year/

Old 01-23-2023, 10:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
At least there is 'talk' of investment. If one of these could actually break through and succeed, and Jackson could get a mayor in there that halfway has some sense, some things could happen.

The investment always comes first, though. These investor need to team up and find them a mayoral candidate that can actually win, and is sympathetic to real progress.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Does anyone know the status of this project: Jackson tech district

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/12/25/cons...gin-next-year/
Still alive as far as I know. They do have events in the makers space on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: