Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2023, 09:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times

Advertisements

A new $55 million sports complex/mixed use development is expected to be built on the site of the Jackson Square Promenade on Terry Road, which is currently being demolished. The new development is called City Plaza and will contain 10-12 basketball and an indoor football field. In addition, a hotel, retail shops and restaurants are part of the complex. It's being spearheaded by former NBA star and Mississippi native Erick Dampier. Construction could be begin as early as November.

https://www.wapt.com/article/new-spo...ckson/44754035

This part of south Jackson is in desperate need of revitalization. I was in the area a few days ago and I can't believe how empty Terry Road is. So many boarded-up businesses in a once-bustling area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 11:37 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Will never see the light of day.
Once again, Jackson over promises and under delivers.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:40 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I don't know, Dampier has some money, guess it just depends on how serious they are about seeing it through.

At first when I read the title, I figured it was more turf baseball fields, which are not needed. But I like the idea of a big basketball (mainly) and football complex like that. It could host things and make a little money if done properly.

But I, like you, am skeptical this ever truly comes to fruition. But Jackson is a basketball town, though it's lost that luster in recent years, as most of the players are headed to the suburbs to play out there.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:26 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,358 times
Dampier has some money from his time in the NBA but he would be foolish to risk millions in this venture. I would be really curious to see where the money has really come from, as the article claims that half of the money has already been raised. The city itself doesn't really have money to spare, so I'm skeptical that the developers will be able to raise all of the money needed.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Seems very ambitious for that part of town. Hopefully, Erick doesn't risk too much of his own money. It would be great for that area though.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,660 times
I think it could be a good project especially if properly marketed and the city ensured the road way leading there from the highway was properly layed and beautified. Marketing would absolutely be key. Events and security.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Neg View Post
I think it could be a good project especially if properly marketed and the city ensured the road way leading there from the highway was properly layed and beautified. Marketing would absolutely be key. Events and security.
That portion of Terry Road between McDowell Road and I-20 has just recently been fixed up very nicely.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. The former strip mall on the property has been torn down to make way for it, though it needed to be torn down anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: