Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 03:41 PM

224 posts, read 297,369 times

Advertisements

My son is looking for an apprenticeship job as an electrician. He went to the community college and received his Associates of Science degree for the electrician field. He had an almost perfect 4.0 GPA. He is very sharp. He also worked while going to school. He isn't getting anywhere in the state we live in (Michigan) and so he is looking out of state.

He has no real world experience as an electrician but he is applying for jobs that specifically state no experience is required. Is the job market really as good as they say it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 04:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
My son is looking for an apprenticeship job as an electrician.
He isn't getting anywhere in the state we live in (Michigan) and so he is looking out of state.
Most of Michigan is strongly union; especially so regarding registered apprenticeships (and ABC).
https://www.ibewmichigan.com/apprenticeships
https://www.abcsemi.org/training
Quote:
He has no real world experience as an electrician...
And of those who do ... rather few will ever have any CC AA degree's.
The education is what the apprenticeship is all about.

Who has been advising you on the approach you've taken?

Last edited by MrRational; 03-17-2023 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-21-2023, 06:15 PM

Nobody has actually been advising us. Nobody in our family are electricians. Are you saying we have this backwards?

Old 03-22-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Nobody has actually been advising us. Nobody in our family are electricians.
When these Q's came up before .. you asked college people for input about the matters.
Did you really not also seek other input from anyone in the trades?

FiX that. Start by talking to your own electrician. Or your neighbor/friends electrician.
Ask about how things are done in YOUR county and their input on what I wrote below.

Quote:
Are you saying we have this backwards?
In a word, yes. Most of the effort and costs since he got out of school was wasted.

For most, the first step is to find the electrical contractors near you who are hiring and then to
convince at least one of them that you're a worthwhile prospect to be hired.

From their end that means they'll begin to teach you about the work.
That starts with the LABORER and helper level tasks related.
Then they'll begin the OJT ... teaching some wiring.
(Some will pass through this stage in two days. Some will never pass through.)

It's spring. There should be some houses being built out there. Find some.
The contractors doing that work will hire new people regularly. Most will quit.

Tough it out. Learn. Do. Be serious. Don't quit. Don't get fired.
Then ... ask to sign up with the next class of organized ABC or IBEW programs.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-22-2023 at 04:42 AM..

Old 03-22-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When these Q's came up before .. you asked college people for input about the matters.
Did you really not also seek other input from anyone in the trades?

FiX that. Start by talking to your own electrician. Or your neighbor/friends electrician.
Ask about how things are done in YOUR county and their input on what I wrote below.

In a word, yes. Most of the effort and costs since he got out of school was wasted.

For most, the first step is to find the electrical contractors near you who are hiring and then to
convince at least one of them that you're a worthwhile prospect to be hired.

From their end that means they'll begin to teach you about the work.
That starts with the LABORER and helper level tasks related.
Then they'll begin the OJT ... teaching some wiring.
(Some will pass through this stage in two days. Some will never pass through.)

It's spring. There should be some houses being built out there. Find some.
The contractors doing that work will hire new people regularly. Most will quit.

Tough it out. Learn. Do. Be serious. Don't quit. Don't get fired.
Then ... ask to sign up with the next class of organized ABC or IBEW programs.
We don't have an electrician but I can try to drum up someone to talk to. He applied with a local IBEW program but was not accepted. Apparently, there are a lot of applicants and relatively few get in. There are a couple more IBEW apprenticeship programs in the area that that he can apply for.

It's really a shame if this eventually doesn't work out. My son is honest, hard working, no drugs, no drinking, completely level headed. He had a job while going to school. He was well liked by both his employer and the other employees and I know he put in the extra mile. It has to be discouraging to him. He told me the other day that if nothing happens he will go out and get some type of work.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
He applied with a local IBEW program but was not accepted.
Apparently, there are a lot of applicants and relatively few get in.
Of those who do get in by that door... how many are complete virgins?
vs how many have a summer of real experience under their belt?
(ask your local contact)

Old 03-22-2023, 06:44 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Have you contacted the CC's career services and placement office? All colleges, especially cc's, have internship and placement programs for their graduates.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:41 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
What I'm going to say may not be realistic or what you and your son want to hear because the job may be beneath what your son studied. You and he may think the job is tedious, the pay is low. But most new grads have to start from somewhere with the entry level, except the ones who know the insiders of some companies.

How about to apply with:

. Some vending machines companies like Pepsi, Coke companies regarding job related electrical repairing, or vending machine manufacture, etc... All those machines have something to do with electrical things. I used to have a vending business. Every time I had problems with the machines, I had to pay $70/hr for someone to come to fix them. That was many years ago. Now it must be more.
. Schools, hospitals, care centres as maintenance. This position sounds low to your son, but he needs to earn some experience first. I knew a man who was an electrical engineer from some other country. He came here, worked as a maintenance man at a care centre where I work. Later he found a job related to what he studied.
. Some construction companies (building houses) regarding electrical lining/setup (whatever they call it - I'm not in this field, so I don't know what to say)

... whatever else you can think of.

Everything takes time. When you have a job, it's easier to find another job. When you don't have a job, it seems to take forever to find one.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:50 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I am surprised the the CC does not have a placement system for their trade program grads.

Tradesmen are in demand in my area. I would start by contacting every electrical business and construction contractor in my area and surrounding counties.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:54 AM

377 posts, read 274,043 times
I wouldn't think it would be that hard right now because there are shortages in every field. He should apply to the union or try to get a job in a warehouse or truck driver for a IBEW contractor and then the contractor can refer him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search