Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 03:45 PM

450 posts, read 802,099 times

Advertisements

...if he isn't nominated to run for the senate seat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 05:21 PM

7,094 posts, read 11,390,784 times
The primaries for the Senate and 6th district race will be on the ballot at the same time. I think it would hurt him to be on both, could confuse voters in the 6th who see his name twice. I don't think there is anything prohibiting him from trying though.

I am seeing Trone ads on streaming services constantly now....and the election is a year away. Every ad is Trone is an urban area talking about "banning the box" or "fighting big pharm." I guess he has to get his name out to the rest of the state, but it's annoying as crap to be seeing political ads this far in advance. I get he can afford to buy himself a shot at a Senate seat, but ads this far out are in bad taste, IMO.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:30 PM

45,578 posts, read 60,936,044 times
That's a good question and I don't know the answer. My gut tells me no due to the rules for other offices.

You can't hold a seat on, say, a Town Council and be a County Commissioner at the same time, State law prohibits it.

You can't even be an elected or appointed member of a party's County Central Committee and hold another elected office.

EDIT:
I gave this more thought. The law is not being able to hold two different elective offices concurrently not prohibiting running for them. I've known several people who have run for County Commissioner and Central Committee at the same time.

So maybe Trone could run for both but if he'd win both he'd have to resign from one, which opens a whole new bag of worms.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-06-2023 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 10:13 AM

He definitely can't serve in both capacities, but heck, Trone just run for all the offices all at once, spend his fortune reassuring voters he grew up on a family farm, only got into the alcohol business to support his struggling family and uses that job for good by 'banning the box' and employing countless convicted felons, has never taken a dollar from Big Pharm, and is only accountable to us, the voters, then pick from whichever races he wins.

Yeah, seen WAY too many ads this early......literally just got a Youtube ad questionnaire asking if I would vote for Trone or some other candidate. I chose somebody else, then got a Trone ad on Youtube next.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:45 PM

5,122 posts, read 6,135,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
...if he isn't nominated to run for the senate seat?

He won't have to give up his seat for the remainder of the current term but since he won't be on the Primary ballot for the Congressional seat he wouldn't be on the General Election ballot in November unless he tried to run a write in or as an Independent. I don't see either of those things happening.

It will be interesting to see who runs in the 6th. I still see random Parrott signs around Frederick and Washington Counties that were never taken down after the 2022 election.

Old 11-10-2023, 04:28 AM

I think Parrott has already announced.

Down here in Steny's district the only announcements have been from people not running.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:43 PM

Trone goes down to Alsobrooks. Hogan vs. Alsobrooks for Senate.............thank goodness, I am sick of seeing Trone's trashy ads. The one where he shot himself in black and white from below with his chin out like FDR was too much, just too much, get over yourself.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 AM

1,222 posts, read 818,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Trone goes down to Alsobrooks. Hogan vs. Alsobrooks for Senate.............thank goodness, I am sick of seeing Trone's trashy ads. The one where he shot himself in black and white from below with his chin out like FDR was too much, just too much, get over yourself.
You're not alone.

His trashy ads ended up making him annoying and me voting for Alsobrooks.

At the end, though, Trone needed a lot more voters from areas like Baltimore, Howard, AA, and Montgomery Co (Baltimore city and PG favored Alsobrooks), and ended up with around 50-50 (and losing) in all four. Alsobrooks' winning margin is way larger than expected anyway.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
You're not alone.

His trashy ads ended up making him annoying and me voting for Alsobrooks.

At the end, though, Trone needed a lot more voters from areas like Baltimore, Howard, AA, and Montgomery Co (Baltimore city and PG favored Alsobrooks), and ended up with around 50-50 (and losing) in all four. Alsobrooks' winning margin is way larger than expected anyway.
I wonder outloud if the trashy ads hurt him in the end. Trone had another where multiple black PG county officials were trashing Alsobrooks and talking about how Trone was the "real progressive" looking out for their interests. You couldn't quiet see the bulges of money poking out of their pockets, but the thing sounded like a bad advertisement full of paid shills you find on cable at 3:00am.

No doubt the racial slur incident hurt too.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:28 AM

Trone may have outsmarted himself.
Certainly the jigaboo incident hurt him. To be almost 70 and claim he didn't know the meaning of the word was ludicrous. And yeah, I think he had a brain fart but it didn't matter with his "explanation".
The amount of money he spent, yeah I know it was his own, sunk in.
He had a lot of Prince George's endorsements but those may have backfired a bit. JoAnn Benson endorsed him but she had been an Alsobrooks mentor so people wondered how that happened. Braveboy wouldn't be State's Attorney without Alsobrooks. People there know both of those things.
Almost the entire Democrat Establishment supported her, about the only one who didn't was Anthony Brown (I refrained here from calling him an empty suit) and they were hitting the road for her hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland