Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 21,730 times

Advertisements

Hello all:
I'm a 30 year old New York girl who just returned from a fantastic trip to Playa del Carmen in Mexico. I am thinking of relocating there. I'm a certified English teacher with a Masters degree. I also have years of experience as a paralegal. My understanding is that teaching English does not pay well, barely enough for one to survive. What are other jobs available in the area that a foreigner would likely be hired to do? What is the approximate cost of renting an apartment per month in Playa? Other living expenses...to live comfortably? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 93,878 times
I believe playa would be a very expensive place to live.
I would try finding a job with an american company with operatiosn down there.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM

66 posts, read 268,695 times
aren't you lucky i would love to live there.. i was considering moving there too but then i changed my mind..

check this out
Living in Mexico

Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM

291 posts, read 647,823 times
I think the best thing in your case it that you save money and put a business like a clothing store, restaurant or school to learn spanish/english.

For a teacher is difficult to find a job, since the university is in Cancun not in Playa, or you can work in one hotel, just make a try...

Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,105 times
teaching english typically does not pay well but it depends on where/for who. business leaders may hire personal tutors, for example, at higher rates than a smaller shop. any city with large influxes of americans will have high demand for native english speakers to teach. it's a way to live somewhere different, not a way to get rich!

Look at what is the make-up of the economy in Playa outside of immediate tourism. Where is the legal work for companies doing business there being done?

Another top option is to find contract work in the US and do it from Mexico. That might be a good route as I know a good deal of paralegal can be outsourced. If someone doesn't mind you working in the next town over they shouldn't have any problem with you being in mexico. telecom issues might be stronger but you can get an internet phone with any area code you want (vonage for example) and email, etc will allow you to send documents back and forth.

cost of living in mexico is far below New York. $500/month income should treat you right unless you're trying to buy a condo on the water.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 73,778 times
Ah! Playacar as is called by Mexicans, one of my favorites. Would not live there though. Small economy, hurricane path, everything is tourism related. A better choice is one hour north in cancun, you cannot escape the hurricanes down there no matter what.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 21,573 times
dont turn your head, 30 year old new yorker, Im from colorado, im going to live there in one week, im in a different field, dentistry and have a buddy there, dentista arturo, so i get free dental care, and can teach in the schools, and there's a story to that, and work on my skills and dental career, anyway I lived there in 2007 for months, it is a awesome place, i get 800 from family more or less, a month, and work there, a little work on my dental thing, in playa del carmen, weather is warm, i know plenty of people at senor frogs, dentists there, etc. dont let your attention be stered by others, playa is good for health and food is great, entertainment, there are some jobs, need to spend some time there, apartments and various needs for living can be met, the others here, turned down playa im not going to if i was dont, anyway enjoy your afternoon, nicholas colorado to playa del carmen i go, think about a winter with no cold weather, can go outside run play whatever isnt that a nice warm happy place yes, think about that

Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 21,574 times
hi man
you still down there in playa
moving there so a need a dentist
can you give me your friends number
and whats fun stuff to do
or places to hang out
thanks
anthony

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM

54 posts, read 208,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
cost of living in mexico is far below New York. $500/month income should treat you right unless you're trying to buy a condo on the water.
You can't honestly believe you can live in PDC for $500/month, can you? That's absurd. I live in Cozumel, and it takes $1000 to live frugally. And many things are actually cheaper on the island than on the mainland.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM

10 posts, read 40,452 times
Hi

I'm from the U.K. and I left Playa about 6 weeks ago. I was there for 2 1/2 years.

It can be expensive to live there. If you want a 2 bedroom apartment in the center of town, mine was on 10th and 10th, it'll cost you around $800/month for the rent. If you are prepared to have a studio 5 blocks from 5th around $300.

The best paid work for a non-Mexican is selling timeshare. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It was great fun, start work at 8.00 and finish at 1.00.

Any questions, fire away.

One last thing, living there is very different from being on vacation.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico