Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 11:30 PM

69 posts, read 44,377 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing people say that Western Montana and Missoula "feels like the PNW" as opposed to other Mountain states like Colorado or Wyoming, and how many residents of Western Montana are more culturally aligned with Idaho, Oregon, Washington. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 07:14 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post
I keep seeing people say that Western Montana and Missoula "feels like the PNW" as opposed to other Mountain states like Colorado or Wyoming, and how many residents of Western Montana are more culturally aligned with Idaho, Oregon, Washington. Is there any truth to this?
Missoula is radically leftist like Seattle and Portland, the rest of Western Montana is far.more centered to right leaning, so no, it's more closely aligned with Idaho and Wyoming than either the left coast or Colorado.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:10 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
The only thing that 'feels PNW' here in the Flathead can be the weather. Until we got this arctic blast, it'd been pretty mild, overcast/inversion, and dreary.

Politically, very conservative/libertarian.

Whitefish being the exception, naturally ... it's full of "Limousine Liberals" and is the butt of many local jokes.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:52 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Whitefish being the exception, naturally ... it's full of "Limousine Liberals" and is the butt of many local jokes.
Do Bigfork/ Kalispell get any of the Whitefish attitude?

Old 01-11-2024, 03:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Do Bigfork/ Kalispell get any of the Whitefish attitude?
To a lesser degree. Seems like Bigfork, Lakeside, Kalispell tend to harbor more of the 'old money' around here - just my casual observation, I don't know if it's true or not.

Most locals don't like the direction things have taken around this valley ... too much, too soon.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:54 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post

Eastern WA, the Idaho Panhandle, and NW MT are really one region (as was explained to me by our realtor!), both culturally and geographically. Same kind of weather, heavily forested in places, great mountain ranges, mighty rivers. Old mining and timber industry. Quite a bit of Norwegian immigration history. A combination of being self-sufficient while being good neighbors. More libertarian than conservative. Missoula is a bit different in that it aligns itself with other liberal university towns of the PNW, but nowhere near as progressive as most left-coast university towns.

I'm "only" a part-time North Idahoan, but that's my impression from 20 years of visiting/part-time living.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:40 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Missoula is radically leftist like Seattle and Portland, the rest of Western Montana is far.more centered to right leaning, so no, it's more closely aligned with Idaho and Wyoming than either the left coast or Colorado.
Well, technically Missoula is an exclave of Berkeley, Kalifornia.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:16 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
I’ve lived in both, and if your notions of the PNW center heavily on the culture/politics of the I-5 corridor in WA and OR, then Montana is going to feel very different. The greater PNW (E WA, E OR and ID) aligns well with Montana, or at least the Western portion.

And a note about Missoula: it’s just a left-of-center college town with a weird mix of yuppies, granolas and rednecks. Transplant-heavy. Pretty boring IMO. Not my favorite place by any means, but it is widely hated by Montana conservatives, who are, with all due respect, some of the most insane people in America. That they would even compare it to Berkeley CA proves my point.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
When you have to follow some naked guy on a bicycles hairy butt through town because they're having a naked bike ride event, it's a liberal town since most Montana towns frown on that kind of stuff.

Montana conservatives are very grounded, traditional people that are first in line to offer help if someone needs it.
They still believe in morality and just being good friends and neighbors.

Missoula prides itself on being weird and embracing anything but traditional values.

It's referred to as Berkeley North in part because of all the California transplants infesting it.
Same reason Bozeman is called Boz Angeles or Aspen North.

Most of the truly insane people live in one of those 2 places where they fit in with others in the asylum.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:55 PM

136 posts, read 153,217 times
Nowhere is the same as it used to be except maybe small towns. I've watched Montana change a lot over the years. Much of what I enjoyed has changed so much it is hard to enjoy anymore. Yes Missoula is full of odd people for sure. It does remind me of a smaller spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana